Couple of quick questions

TWP

Feb 19, 2006
Just a few quick questions.
I've done a search but found contradicting replies so I'm a bit confused.

Does the pd160 air intake make much difference on a pd130? More power?
Roughly how much are these? (to make sure my dealer doesn't rip me off!)

Does the cupra front bumper allow enough air flow for the SMIC or do you need a FMIC?

What's the optimum size alloys for handling?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Kyle Townend

Dec 3, 2005
pd160 intake is reported to improve throttle response, and may make slight power increases - couldnt confirm this though.

Cupra bumper with SMIC requires the removal of a foglight for it to recieve proper airflow.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
TWP said:
Does the pd160 air intake make much difference on a pd130? More power?
Roughly how much are these? (to make sure my dealer doesn't rip me off!)
Doesn't make much (if any) difference power wise, just a bit quicker turbo spoolup, a little less smoke and it might make the engine feel smoother during light throttle, low speed driving.

TWP said:
Does the cupra front bumper allow enough air flow for the SMIC or do you need a FMIC?
It blocks off the flow to the SMIC, so your intake temps will increase. If you've been remapped then temps would get stupidly high and the ECU will pull back, definitely best to get a FMIC in this case.

TWP said:
What's the optimum size alloys for handling?
From what I've read on here, either stick with 16s or go with 17s, anything bigger is just for show...

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Kyle Townend said:
pd160 intake is reported to improve throttle response, and may make slight power increases - couldnt confirm this though.

Cupra bumper with SMIC requires the removal of a foglight for it to recieve proper airflow.

Not true im afraid. Mine are over 20 degrees higher with the Fogs out and it makes a very noticable decrease in power and fuel efficiency. Soots like a bugger too.... Heres the proof, 2 cars run back to back - also note Mikes car is running higher boost also!

IntakeTemps.gif

Kyle Townend

Dec 3, 2005
oooooo contradiction! I like it!

tbh, i dont have any experience, just summarising what i've read on this and other forums.

Ill leave you guys to argue it out further :p

grahamdiesel

just fitted a pd 160 intake to my 130 and cant notice any real difference
cost about £40 the pair

TWP

Feb 19, 2006
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess the new style FR bumper will allow enough airflow for the SMIC?

Cheers

Jan 8, 2006
Manchester
TWP said:
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess the new style FR bumper will allow enough airflow for the SMIC?

Cheers

hmm u've raised a good point there! i guess they must have put something in the design to allow air feed?!

Im having a FMIC fitted at JBS end of April, because ive fitted the Cupra bumpers. I can notice already on slightly warmer days that the car starts to struggle...so its a must before the remap. The point about the new bumpers makes me think that it wud be cheaper to buy the new bumpers! - but i think I will stick with the FMIC idea as I assume it will be far more efficient

JK

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.