cracked sump write off

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Yes, she's gone. Was hoping for many, many more miles but sadly a rock cracked the sump today. Mrs Grayt wax at the wheel but i can't blame her. We're on hols in the lakes and rain had brought down rocks on the honnister pass. Clunk but we had to get somewhere safe to pull over as anyone who knows it would not want to be sat on that incline in the pouring rain on a single track road. Insurance have assessed that although the sump could be changed they cannot be confident it would still not get written off with a likelihood of engine damage. Choice then of 300+ mile recovery to London and the costs mounts. We leave here in two days so can't take risk of assessment and repair up here. Such a shame the used cost is so low. Having to hire an astra to get us and our kit back.

Shitty time to happen as well as dad has been taken ill in cyprus with serious health issues and is to be flown back to yorkshire. I was to be using it to regulary make the 500 mile round trip to help out at home - a journey the tolly excelled at. Going to strip of the minor accessories i had fitted tomorrow before it goes for salvage. God knows what i'll find for the money we'll get.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
What sort of pay out are you expecting? There's some good motors about for not much money y'know.

I know Honister Pass fairly well, having lived in Keswick for a good few years. Used to love doing that run over to Buttermere and back via Newlands.

healy6660

Right Old Giffer
Mar 30, 2007
Cumbria
All I can say is Pish
Roads round here are awful at the moment
Put a claim in against Cumbria County Council for the damage
just had a broken wheel bearing put in by them (or at their cost anyway)
They are well known for not checking/clearing the roads locally, especially if it is somewhere out of the way
Hope you get sorted, and I hope your Dad gets well soon
Good luck (at least my council tax won't be paid in vain)
Mark

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Thanks for the replies guys and for the good wishes re my dad.

Not sure i can sue for what was probably a recent rockfall. Covered on insurance and with 11 years ncb it hopefully won't be affected too much - never had an accident in 25 yrs driving and mrs feels bad but i've said it's not her fault.

I would naturally have progressed to something with better economy but similar performance but not much spare cash to upgrade. I may have to think of buying another v5 as they are so cheap but will have to see. Need a decent motorway cruiser.

Not really checked prices but reckon i won't be offered much above 1600.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
So sorry to hear this bad news GrayT. :cry:

I remember you especially well giving me great advice when I was getting my V5 and I always watched your motor mods and threads with interest. Hopefully something good will come from it and I can only echo the sentiments of the other guys on here and hope that your dad gets better soon.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Seems a bummer to claim on insurance for a £100 sump?

Surely you could get it repaired & stomach the cost of the repair, rather than the potential loss & excess from insurance? FOod for thought, IMO

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Thanks kewe, I appreciate it. Who knows, i may stay in the v5 fold yet?

Mark, circumstances play a part. I'm no mechanic but the garage who would have been happy to do the work started to assess the cost. The engine did not sound to great and i suspect further damage. They and the insurance company said the costs could increase drastically but would only know once sump replaced. Not in a position to do so myself so that is extra cost already. I have to return to London sat so when you factor in costs of getting the motor down to London unrepaired (£400+) or me returning to collect then the costs start stacking. If it happened where i live i would gamble on getting a new sump but even then could be throwing money away.

skinnylew

Mar 19, 2007
South east london
Sorry to hear about the V5 and your Dad's health.

I got away with my sump crack as it was a hairline frcature/crack so didn't dump all the oil at once. Engine was fine after that (well until last month) unfortunately mine is potentially no more as well :(
Head gaskets starting to go and i've since replaced the old V5 with an Octavia vRS :)

Thats 2 less Toledo V5's in London :(

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Sorry to hear about the V5 and your Dad's health.

I got away with my sump crack as it was a hairline frcature/crack so didn't dump all the oil at once. Engine was fine after that (well until last month) unfortunately mine is potentially no more as well :(
Head gaskets starting to go and i've since replaced the old V5 with an Octavia vRS :)

Thats 2 less Toledo V5's in London :(

That's a shame mate. At least we've both stayed in the group and I hope you're enjoying the vRS. I'm certainly liking the A4. I have to shift down at motorway speeds to get the overtaking punch (unlike the V5) but the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd is way better and as much as I would want to handle in front wheel drive (although the esp and multilink suspension helps).

Thanks for the best wishes, sadly dad is very poorly and time is pretty short so tonight and for the following weekends there's a 480 mile round trip to do, so the car replacement was really necessary. Hope the Octavia serves you well :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.