Cupra 280 - Getting ready to tune, your thoughts?

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
...warranty is up in June and after many many months of drooling over the prospect of tuning the car its time to knuckle down and start planning, with this in mind I thought I'd throw out my thoughts and welcome any input/feedback from you guys.

So

1, Stage 1 or Stage 2? - Its a big cost hike between the two for around 25bhp extra, is it worth?

2, Revo or APR, my trusted local dealer is Revo, both look good though?

Sifting the wheat from the chaff going stage 2 essentially requires as a minimum an improved intake, better intercooler, and a sports cat.

I'm not fussed about the entire exhaust as I am yet to here one that does anything but make the current one louder which I'm not interested in so just replacing the downpipe with sport cat is fine with me, the VWR cold air intake looks good and a factory product, then its a case of which intercooler give the best 'bang per buck'.

Its difficult to find solid data that demonstrates differences/gains so I figured a good starting point was asking the community :D

All tips tricks and feedback welcome, and is there anything else you would say is a 'must have' if your looking to go stage 2, I'm persuaded to go stage two for the better intercooler as this feels like a good mod for improved reliability on a tuned engine...

UPDATE:

@JACUPRA280 its a DSG

Its early days and I'm still awaiting on a few people to respond but props to Al Brown at AwsomeGTI who seems on the ball, after a few emails this is what they came back with as recommendations based on my requirements for a quality job, that looks factory, and as Im not keen on more noise retains the stock muffler.

Intake:
VWR R600 Induction Kit
VWR Turbo Inlet Elbow (optional)
VWR Silicone Intake Pipe (optional)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intercooler:
Wagner Tuning Intercooler
or
APR Intercooler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downpipe:
APR Downpipe (includes Upgrade from APR Stage 1 --> Stage 2)
Software:
APR Stage 1 (Includes Rolling Road Power Runs)
APR DSG Software

What are your thoughts, this seems in line with my expections although I was a little surprised by the cost of the DSG remap...

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Have run Stage1 REVO, Stage2 REVO and Stage2 APR (With DSG Tune).

Stage2 has a lot more power especially mid range.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
My warranty's up in March, but I bit the bullet a few months ago.

I can't comment on a remap. I have a TDI-Tuning box on my Cupra 280. It's an excellent device, and it has transformed the car for the better. A remap will do the same. I got 341 bhp and 338 lb /ft on a rolling road a few months ago. Take that as you will. I don't want any more power personally, I'm happy with 'stage 1' as it's called.

Is your car DSG or manual? Thought I'd also mention that the DSG is bang on after fitting the box on mine, although it is due its service in 3,000 miles. So these boxes can definitely take it, seeing as there's plenty of R's out there with over 400 bhp and torques.

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
I got a Revo stage 1 on my 290 two weeks ago. All I can say is just do it. The improved performance is incredible..and if you further down the road wants to go to stage 2, you will only have to pay the difference in price on the stage 1 and 2 software for that part of the upgrade.
Mine got 382 bhp and 465 nm on the rolling road (up from 294 bnp and 360 nm). I really like the curve of the Revo map - nice progressing power that rewards you to rev it. It feels like stock - just brutal..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
Is anyone familiar with ?

I can't find REVO in Sweden.

How does all this work with the SEAT guarantee? They don't see this at the service checks?

There are a couple of Revo dealers in Norway if that is of any interest.

The guarantee on the engine/drivetrain directly affected by the tuning I void.

petrolpants

Dec 10, 2016
Is anyone familiar with http://www.stertman.se/ ?

I can't find REVO in Sweden.

How does all this work with the SEAT guarantee? They don't see this at the service checks?

Stertman is the best :) (heja sverige!)
They are doing some work on my car 1st of february. Fitting the Milltek cat back exhaust.

The Stage 1, or Stage 2 tuning will void the engine guarantee. They are very open with it.
No way of hiding it either.

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
Stertman is the best :) (heja sverige!)
They are doing some work on my car 1st of february. Fitting the Milltek cat back exhaust.

The Stage 1, or Stage 2 tuning will void the engine guarantee. They are very open with it.
No way of hiding it either.

So you can't untune it easily like BSR och MAPTUN?

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
So you can't untune it easily like BSR och MAPTUN?

From what I understand a flash of the ecu with a tuning file will raise a TD1 flag which Seat will see once they connect their scanning tool. At least that is what I understand from reading countless treads and talking to the different tuning companies.

Anyway, if you what the factory warranty keep it stock. If you want to play, accept the fact that there is an increased risk of ending up with a bill for a major repair - due to the tuning or not the factory warranty will in general not cover the engine/drivetrain. If you cannot accept that risk but really want it tuned, go with one of the German tuners like Oettinger, MTM or ABT who offers an engine/drivetrain warranty with the tuning - but for a significant premium over the likes of Revo, APR etc.

I drove six months and almost 17 t.km. before I had the flash done. I did that to minimize the risk of ending up with a bill for a repair that should have been covered by the warranty. Furthermore I chose one of the major international tuning companies (in my case Revo) in the belief that having tested the software on several thousand engines before mine would likewise reduce the risk. Last but not least I respect that the safety tolerances are less than stock - I change oil at 10 t.km. intervals (dsg oil will be at 30 t.km.), always drive at least 10 km. and minutes and to the oil is up to temperature before trashing it etc. I have done the same with previous cars that were tuned and fingers crossed never have had any problems associated with the tunings.

Just my humble opinion..

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
From what I understand a flash of the ecu with a tuning file will raise a TD1 flag which Seat will see once they connect their scanning tool. At least that is what I understand from reading countless treads and talking to the different tuning companies.

Anyway, if you what the factory warranty keep it stock. If you want to play, accept the fact that there is an increased risk of ending up with a bill for a major repair - due to the tuning or not the factory warranty will in general not cover the engine/drivetrain. If you cannot accept that risk but really want it tuned, go with one of the German tuners like Oettinger, MTM or ABT who offers an engine/drivetrain warranty with the tuning - but for a significant premium over the likes of Revo, APR etc.

I drove six months and almost 17 t.km. before I had the flash done. I did that to minimize the risk of ending up with a bill for a repair that should have been covered by the warranty. Furthermore I chose one of the major international tuning companies (in my case Revo) in the belief that having tested the software on several thousand engines before mine would likewise reduce the risk. Last but not least I respect that the safety tolerances are less than stock - I change oil at 10 t.km. intervals (dsg oil will be at 30 t.km.), always drive at least 10 km. and minutes and to the oil is up to temperature before trashing it etc. I have done the same with previous cars that were tuned and fingers crossed never have had any problems associated with the tunings.

Just my humble opinion..

Thanks for the input.
I will wait with the tune, i don't know how long i will keep the car.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Burger Tuning JB4 has just been released. Get reading on vw vortex forum it's a fantastic product at a good price!

strell

Nov 30, 2016
Mine got 382 bhp and 465 nm on the rolling road (up from 294 bnp and 360 nm). I really like the curve of the Revo map - nice progressing power that rewards you to rev it. It feels like stock

Wow that is an awesome figure. Bet it is a different beast now. How is the traction though? I have to say in anything other than bone dry it struggle with stock power

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
Wow that is an awesome figure. Bet it is a different beast now. How is the traction though? I have to say in anything other than bone dry it struggle with stock power

It's brutal in an understated way. You do not realize how fast you are going until you look at the dials - I got a really nasty surprise a few days after I got the map, flooring it when the BMW 530d in front, after a long time, pulled to right on the highway (had been going 90 in a 110 zone) and gave it everything the Munich tractor had (idiot - I had flashed my lights at him once but that was it, had kept my fair distance etc.). Anyway we were approaching a curve rated at 80 km/h on the highway - not having adjusted to the increased performance of the map at the time, I realized I was about to enter that curve at 180 km/h...... A reminder to treat it with the respect the power demands..

Regarding traction it handles it well if you take care. Do a kick-down at 130 km/h it will spin it's winter tires to pieces or the ESP will significantly reduce acceleration depending on the mode you are in. Shift to sport esp, ensure the diff is in Cupra mode, shift to 4th manual and increase throttle progressively and it will reward you with the biggest smile you have ever had. What I am trying to say is that traction is fine but it demands more of you as a driver - but the reward when you get it right it is without comparison to stock. I absolutely love to drive it now and spring/summer tire time can only arrive late..

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I got a Revo stage 1 on my 290 two weeks ago. All I can say is just do it. The improved performance is incredible..and if you further down the road wants to go to stage 2, you will only have to pay the difference in price on the stage 1 and 2 software for that part of the upgrade.
Mine got 382 bhp and 465 nm on the rolling road (up from 294 bnp and 360 nm). I really like the curve of the Revo map - nice progressing power that rewards you to rev it. It feels like stock - just brutal..

Close to 100bhp increase from a stg 1 tune... I'm impressed

I've got a dtuk box on my 280 lease. If I do keep the car I will definitely be going stage 1 with either revolution or apr. I didn't want to risk td1 flag while still under warranty or leased. If depreciation keeps on as is I suspect I may have a bargain at lease end when car is 3 yrs old. The car is such a great all rounder I can't see me wanting anything else for the money.

Last edited:

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
Close to 100bhp increase from a stg 1 tune... I'm impressed

I've got a dtuk box on my 280 lease. If I do keep the car I will definitely be going stage 1 with either revolution or apr. I didn't want to risk td1 flag while still under warranty or leased. If depreciation keeps on as is I suspect I may have a bargain at lease end when car is 3 yrs old. The car is such a great all rounder I can't see me wanting anything else for the money.

I feel the same way as to the all round capabilities. Simply put it's a great car and a stage 1 file only emphasize it..

Seems like a good plan with intention to buy it following the lease period - the only problem will be that there will probably be a new Cupra out at that time. Given the progress from mk2 to mk3 imagine how mk4 will be

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
I feel the same way as to the all round capabilities. Simply put it's a great car and a stage 1 file only emphasize it..

Seems like a good plan with intention to buy it following the lease period - the only problem will be that there will probably be a new Cupra out at that time. Given the progress from mk2 to mk3 imagine how mk4 will be

It will be an RS4 one day :) for a third the price haha.

the JB4 BOX seems to require a PHD to understand.
Can anyone sum it up? You just plug it in and you can switch mapings?
This doesn't void warranty?

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
It's a piggyback with different settings. It has a base tune with is essentially a stage 1. As it doesn't alter the ecu as long as you remove for service no TD1 flag.

It can be tweaked to your mods and even adjust boost per gear or rpm for a completely custom experience.
Or you can plug it in and leave it. It's cheaper than a Revo/APR as well.

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
It's a piggyback with different settings. It has a base tune with is essentially a stage 1. As it doesn't alter the ecu as long as you remove for service no TD1 flag.

It can be tweaked to your mods and even adjust boost per gear or rpm for a completely custom experience.
Or you can plug it in and leave it. It's cheaper than a Revo/APR as well.

Sounds too good to be true?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.