Cupra 280 - What oil should I use?

CupraSC280

Jan 23, 2017
Hi guys,

What oil are people using in their Cupra 280's?

I've been recommended the following:

Millers Oils Nanodrive EE LongLife C3 5W-30 (Full Synthetic) OR Castrol Edge 5W-30 Oil (Full Synthetic)...

Is fully Synthetic oil what I need to use? Is 5W-30 ok?

Thanks in advance :)

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Fully synthetic 5W -30 is correct, but has to be for the specific car, ie VW501 VW504 or something like that, tells you in handbook. Not just any 5W-30 and buy a quality brand like Castrol Edge or equal

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
It is either vw 504.00 or 507.00. However many oils that lives up to one of the above lives up to both - check the specifications on the bottle.

If you are topping up, not changing the oil, and it was serviced by Seat last time I would use Castrol as it is what they use normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
quality brand like Castrol

Unfortunately not quite as good as people think, unless you change it ever 5k, that said when I ran mine on Castrol it was on the min mark after 2.5k..

If you are topping up, not changing the oil, and it was serviced by Seat last time I would use Castrol as it is what they use normally.

My local hasn't used Castrol/Quantrum for some years now as to many complaints about engines burning oil..

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
Unfortunately not quite as good as people think, unless you change it ever 5k, that said when I ran mine on Castrol it was on the min mark after 2.5k..

My local hasn't used Castrol/Quantrum for some years now as to many complaints about engines burning oil..

Thought that all VAG dealers were obliged to use Castrol but it is never to late to learn something new :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
VAG recommended Castrol oils for many years and I have used Castrol Edge without issues in 3 VAG cars since 2007.

BMW also used to recommend Castrol oils but I believe that they are now factory filling engines with (and recommending) Shell oils.

I had a BMW MINI R50 that had a history of mysteriously low oil levels with previous owners but didn't use a drop when I swapped the oil out for Castrol Edge.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
VAG recommended Castrol oils for many years and I have used Castrol Edge without issues in 3 VAG cars since 2007.

BMW also used to recommend Castrol oils but I believe that they are now factory filling engines with (and recommending) Shell oils.

I had a BMW MINI R50 that had a history of mysteriously low oil levels with previous owners but didn't use a drop when I swapped the oil out for Castrol Edge.

BMW also switched away from Castrol because of burning issues, I've also experienced a BMW burning oil on Castrol and not on Shell.

In 2007 I also had an Impreza, of which when switch to Motul from Castrol again stopped burning.

I've always given Castrol a chance in many different cars/vans both personnel and company vehicles and always had the same result, as with other brands..

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.