Cupra 290, anyone?

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Was planning to change my car to a petrol next year anyway, after the facelifts are released. I would rather see what is on offer, in case I may miss out on something better than currently available.

Fancied a Leon Cupra / Golf R but now off the agenda. A3 Sportback 150 COD sline stronic also was on shortlist.

Rather be safe but not sorry. Sad that low life's are now spoiling owning a car with a greater fun factor. Why should I have to upgrade security of my property / garage / car, just because people with no conscience or morals may choose to take my pride and joy, by whatever means is necessary.

After the VAG fiasco, now do not know what to do. My 2012 Octavia VRS CR DSG Hatch (17,000 miles) is affected and my confidence in VAG. Px price comparison sites now indicate a much larger monthly depreciation of my car. With the announcement of the VAG CEO today, that software / hardware revisions would commence from January 2016 and be completed by the end on 2016, may be time to change brand of vehicle if I can now afford it. I do not plan to let VAG force me to downgrade, unless I choose to do so.

Test drive in a Toyota Auris Hybrid tomorrow. This will give me a direct comparison to my Octavia. May not be able to accept the diffence in driving experience.

The new Prius has caught my eye + Toyota TRD are ready to release styling upgrades (have seen examples). Might sound dull but this whole issue has made me reconsider life`s priorities. Better to spend on things that give pleasure, other than cars?

Toyota just as guilty as VW regarding dishonesty, but think diesel days will be numbered and now only driving 5-6,000 miles a year.

Last edited:

bleedsoff

Sep 30, 2015
Was planning to change my car to a petrol next year anyway, after the facelifts are released. I would rather see what is on offer, in case I may miss out on something better than currently available.

Fancied a Leon Cupra / Golf R but now off the agenda. A3 Sportback 150 COD sline stronic also was on shortlist.

Rather be safe but not sorry. Sad that low life's are now spoiling owning a car with a greater fun factor. Why should I have to upgrade security of my property / garage / car, just because people with no conscience or morals may choose to take my pride and joy, by whatever means is necessary.

After the VAG fiasco, now do not know what to do. My 2012 Octavia VRS CR DSG Hatch (17,000 miles) is affected and my confidence in VAG. Px price comparison sites now indicate a much larger monthly depreciation of my car. With the announcement of the VAG CEO today, that software / hardware revisions would commence from January 2016 and be completed by the end on 2016, may be time to change brand of vehicle if I can now afford it. I do not plan to let VAG force me to downgrade, unless I choose to do so.

Test drive in a Toyota Auris Hybrid tomorrow. This will give me a direct comparison to my Octavia. May not be able to accept the diffence in driving experience.

The new Prius has caught my eye + Toyota TRD are ready to release styling upgrades (have seen examples). Might sound dull but this whole issue has made me reconsider life`s priorities. Better to spend on things that give pleasure, other than cars?

Toyota just as guilty as VW regarding dishonesty, but think diesel days will be numbered and now only driving 5-6,000 miles a year.

I think your right about diesel. I believe this is the slow death of it. With all the bad press coming out about it that its emissions are toxic for humans, I don't see how in the future we will still be promoting buying diesel cars.

I have just ordered a new car being a Cupra ST and can't wait to get it. I also test drove an Auris Hybrid Estate as it looks really good on paper with tax, emissions etc. I didn't really like it. Thought the car is let down in the interior. Couldn't stand the stupidly small gear stick and thought the salesman was a bit rubbish. Don't think you should discount a Cupra or Golf R they seem to be incredible cars. In regards to the Audi, I xhad an S3 Sportback (new shape) and loved it. My family grew so I had to get rid and still miss my Audi today.

The VW scandal will be forgotten in a few years, just like the huge Toyota recall a few years ago. Simple fact is VAG make some very good cars and to me the scandal doesn't make me feel any different towards them. I mean who really minds how much CO2 they're pumping out. When you buy a car you care more about the tax band and if your happy with the tax band I doubt you care if the car is lying or not.

Another point to consider is how long are the good finance deals on new cars for VAG going to last. VAG credit rating is dropping and I doubt they will be able to source 0% finance etc. It maybe a bit of a gamble waiting for a particular model in the near future and missing out on the deals at the moment. Again I could be completely wrong.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere

How about you stop living in fear, crawl out of your shell and get the car you want, regardless of the 'risks' associated with it.

Jees. I swear sometimes people swallow their balls.

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Bleedsoff You made some really interesting comments. My heart still says Leon Cupra 290 or A3 1.4 150 COD sline s tronic Sportback.

The Cupra DSG Hatch or ST ticked the nearly all of the boxes. Spec would be Dynamic Grey / Multi alloys / Sound system / ACC / Rear view camera,

Driving it gave me a buzz (3 test drives in 12 months), as car so direct and a Jekyll & Hyde nature. I visited my nearest dealer with a car with bucket seats 3 times recently, 180 miles in total.

Could not get comfortable (seat base too long), set up the seat as my Octavia FL VRS DSG (42,000 miles total 2 cars). Best seat was in old Leon Cupra R, perfect design (only sat in one in a showroom). I have a problem with my knees due to a bad seat design in a Ford in 1997, so comfort is priority.

An option is standard seats and get a Recaro for drivers side. Totally agree that 0% finance / very good discounts could vanish very soon. I expect that the Auris will not be for me, but have to explore all the options.

Audi A3 Sportback was also very impressive on test drive. £31,100 to my spec

VAG do make the best drivers cars and give the best choice, but cannot tolerate being lied to or dishonesty. My cars value is dropping like a stone and I now believe that it may take software and hardware mods to fix problem. Surely this will change how my car performs. Until VAG confirm exactly what is involved, I will wait and see.

If VAG were to make me an offer to buy back my Octavia (based on outcome of proposed mods) and give me a great deal on a Leon Cupra or Audi A3 Sportback, then who knows!

Last edited:

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
How about you stop living in fear, crawl out of your shell and get the car you want, regardless of the 'risks' associated with it.

Jees. I swear sometimes people swallow their balls.

I do not live in fear, am a realist. Just taken early retirement and plan to enjoy life without stress. Sad that low life's are now spoiling owning a car with a greater fun factor. Never had a problem before with Peugeot / Toyota GTI`s. Life has changed but not always for the best.

Why should I have to upgrade security of my property / garage / car, just because people with no conscience or morals may choose to take my pride and joy, by whatever means is necessary. Who pays for that, me not you + GAP insurance.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I do not live in fear, am a realist. Just taken early retirement and plan to enjoy life without stress. Sad that low life's are now spoiling owning a car with a greater fun factor. Never had a problem before with Peugeot / Toyota GTI`s. Life has changed but not always for the best.

Why should I have to upgrade security of my property / garage / car, just because people with no conscience or morals may choose to take my pride and joy, by whatever means is necessary. Who pays for that, me not you + GAP insurance.

Are we talking about vandalising and criminal damage here or theft, or all?

The former two cannot be helped. If somebody wants to damage your car, they will.

But theft? How is anybody going to steal a car with an alarm and an immobiliser, without breaking into your home to get your keys? Personally, I'd like to see a gang try. My two Alsations would rip anybody to shreds and if that doesn't happen I'll use the new law that's been passed stating home owners have the right to defend themselves.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Its a sad fact of modern life that there are people who believe that they have the right to take what is not theirs.equally there are mental midgets who gain some sort of pleasure from damaging or otherwise abusing other peoples things. However if you adopt the attitude that you have, the miscreants have won. I take it you still have a humongous 24" old type tv ( flat screens are nickable) , a ZX Spectrum ( laptops- nickable) and a record player at home?
We have had a two week old Leon keyed on a super market car park, several dings from doors, but has it put us off? No.
Sensible security - secure doors and windows, security lights etc are not that expensive now and pay back in many ways.
I'm not sure why you feel so badly let down by VAG, you can be sure they are not the only maker to have bent the rules. Values will stabilise, off loading any vehicle now will result in a bigger hit than waiting a while.
A Prius? If You plan on doing a lot of motorway driving they are not that economical. Better off buying a Cupra and enjoying retirement ........

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Its a sad fact of modern life that there are people who believe that they have the right to take what is not theirs.equally there are mental midgets who gain some sort of pleasure from damaging or otherwise abusing other peoples things. However if you adopt the attitude that you have, the miscreants have won. I take it you still have a humongous 24" old type tv ( flat screens are nickable) , a ZX Spectrum ( laptops- nickable) and a record player at home?
We have had a two week old Leon keyed on a super market car park, several dings from doors, but has it put us off? No.
Sensible security - secure doors and windows, security lights etc are not that expensive now and pay back in many ways.
I'm not sure why you feel so badly let down by VAG, you can be sure they are not the only maker to have bent the rules. Values will stabilise, off loading any vehicle now will result in a bigger hit than waiting a while.
A Prius? If You plan on doing a lot of motorway driving they are not that economical. Better off buying a Cupra and enjoying retirement ........

I fully appreciate what you are saying. I am not the type to roll over and give in. Once lived in a house that was broken into twice in 3 years. Never the same though. Values will stabilise eventually, but not for some considerable time. I have no intention to offload my car now, it`s covered for warranty / service etc until next September. I planned to change it next year, but I am looking at my options, including how I deal with VAG etc. The new Prius is on a new platform and may be an alternative, nothing more until I drive it next year.

The Cupra is still an option but the cost to change needs to be what I believe to be fair, given the current circumstances. I am not is a rush, just like VAG Management.

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Are we talking about vandalising and criminal damage here or theft, or all?

The former two cannot be helped. If somebody wants to damage your car, they will.

But theft? How is anybody going to steal a car with an alarm and an immobiliser, without breaking into your home to get your keys? Personally, I'd like to see a gang try. My two Alsations would rip anybody to shreds and if that doesn't happen I'll use the new law that's been passed stating home owners have the right to defend themselves.

Theft. Cars like a Cupra / Golf / Audi S3 are now bigger targets than before, as they are more desirable and have a ready steam of customers abroad that want these type of vehicles. Whilst security has improved it could be better, nothing stands still. Manufacturers do not do enough to protect owners. Alarms / immobilisers like anything are only deterrents. So making it more difficult costs more for the owners.

I am still deciding which route to take. Fun with the associated pitfalls or safe and sound.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Theft. Cars like a Cupra / Golf / Audi S3 are now bigger targets than before, as they are more desirable and have a ready steam of customers abroad that want these type of vehicles. Whilst security has improved it could be better, nothing stands still. Manufacturers do not do enough to protect owners. Alarms / immobilisers like anything are only deterrents. So making it more difficult costs more for the owners.

I am still deciding which route to take. Fun with the associated pitfalls or safe and sound.

Fun. You are a long time dead. ;)

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Fun. You are a long time dead. ;)

That is exactly how I think, especially at my age!

I was 10 minutes away from leasing a Golf R 5dr DSG in red in June 2014. Lease was £279 per month all in 8k pa. Then VAG pulled the plug, as retail dealers made a fuss. Then it came out that personal orders were being placed as if sole traders. I was gutted. I had no idea, deal was too good to be true, cheaper to run than my Octavia VRS CR DSG per month and could give it back after 24 months.

I have kept checking lease deals, but did not find anything near until recently. Found a good deal on a Leon Cupra 5dr DSG, 24 months 5k per annum. Made an inquiry, deal no longer available.

Drove a Golf R recently but mainly around town to get a feel as roads so bad. Planned to add DCC. Didn`t tick the boxes. Cupra does, just find my Octavia has a better driving position. Audi A3 Sportback good too.

Even have an agreement with the factory to have Cupra bucket seats fitted to a FR 150 FR tech pack. Shame the seats for me are not right. Old Leon LCR seats were perfect. Waiting for update from Seat regarding DCC axle set up on FR + 290 news.

Not as though I have given in.

Audi screwed me in 2001 with new damaged A2 TDI, delivered on my birthday. £16500 only spec like it in UK. Audi told me, oh its only cosmetic. Had poorly formed aluminium wings + damaged front bumper (repaired but still required bumper re-spray). Got my money back.

Leon Stylance 140 TDI. 2 new turbo`s in first 6 months!

Octavia VRS CR DSG DSG gearbox fault, went in neutral at roundabouts from 5k

VAG have given me enough grief over the years, but do make the best range of cars. Now they owe me. Spent 70k on new VAG cars.

PS Cancelled Auris test drive. Would never work. Started looking at lease deals on something interesting at a decent price

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
Slovakia
Hey Spike, I think you have disabled option to send you a private message so if u wanna get in touch, send me a message or email to [email protected] , thx.

Would be curious what does the new exhaust make with the sound. Mine 280 is not to write stories about :-( Im considering an exhaust upgrade but dont want to lose guarantee So will have to wait until its over. BTW I too bought my 280 in Czech republic :) the prices there are so much better than in Slovakia.

Deepdiver72

Jul 29, 2015
That is exactly how I think, especially at my age!

I was 10 minutes away from leasing a Golf R 5dr DSG in red in June 2014. Lease was £279 per month all in 8k pa. Then VAG pulled the plug, as retail dealers made a fuss. Then it came out that personal orders were being placed as if sole traders. I was gutted. I had no idea, deal was too good to be true, cheaper to run than my Octavia VRS CR DSG per month and could give it back after 24 months.

I have kept checking lease deals, but did not find anything near until recently. Found a good deal on a Leon Cupra 5dr DSG, 24 months 5k per annum. Made an inquiry, deal no longer available.

Drove a Golf R recently but mainly around town to get a feel as roads so bad. Planned to add DCC. Didn`t tick the boxes. Cupra does, just find my Octavia has a better driving position. Audi A3 Sportback good too.

Even have an agreement with the factory to have Cupra bucket seats fitted to a FR 150 FR tech pack. Shame the seats for me are not right. Old Leon LCR seats were perfect. Waiting for update from Seat regarding DCC axle set up on FR + 290 news.

Not as though I have given in.

Audi screwed me in 2001 with new damaged A2 TDI, delivered on my birthday. £16500 only spec like it in UK. Audi told me, oh its only cosmetic. Had poorly formed aluminium wings + damaged front bumper (repaired but still required bumper re-spray). Got my money back.

Leon Stylance 140 TDI. 2 new turbo`s in first 6 months!

Octavia VRS CR DSG DSG gearbox fault, went in neutral at roundabouts from 5k

VAG have given me enough grief over the years, but do make the best range of cars. Now they owe me. Spent 70k on new VAG cars.

PS Cancelled Auris test drive. Would never work. Started looking at lease deals on something interesting at a decent price
I am on my second Cupra. Had the 280 then got the cupra 300. Phone Seat finance or VW finance direct and they will sort you a lease deal out direct. Cut the middle man out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.