Cupra 290 vs Cupra 300?

Sep 16, 2021
Hi, never used a car forum before but couldn't find anything online to help me. I am looking at either getting a 2016 66 plate seat leon 290 black or a 2017 17 plate 300 cupra so which one is actually better like in terms of exhaust noise and stuff like that? Both are priced more or less similar just a difference in mileage so are seats reliable at high mileage so the 40-50k range. Secondly what is the difference between the 290 cupra and 290 black? Appreciate any help and feedback.

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi, never used a car forum before but couldn't find anything online to help me. I am looking at either getting a 2016 66 plate seat leon 290 black or a 2017 17 plate 300 cupra so which one is actually better like in terms of exhaust noise and stuff like that? Both are priced more or less similar just a difference in mileage so are seats reliable at high mileage so the 40-50k range. Secondly what is the difference between the 290 cupra and 290 black? Appreciate any help and feedback.
Welcome to the forum.

So going off of memory:

The black edition 290 had in addition to the 290's normal spec:
  • Bucket Seats.
  • Sub8 multi spoke wheels.
  • CUPRA lettering on boot in Black.
  • Extra winglets or "Side spoilers" underneath the spoiler on the rear glass.

Depending on the spec of the 290 black edition and 300:

As for 290 vs 300, some of this is subjective:

Advantages of 290 black:

• Bucket Seats (if not spec'd on the 300)
  • More aggressive (if older styling) bumpers.
  • Mechanical handbrake, if you like that sort of thing (I prefer my 300 but @Mr Pig will no doubt explain the mechanicals superiority lol)

Advantages of 300:
  • Bucket seats if spec'd are the same shape but a better trim in my opinion, Black Carbon effect trim on the 300 rather than soft white plastic of the older 290. But both need to be checked for tearing where you get in and out.
  • Better LED Headlights, although still not a patch on my Mk 2 Xenons.
  • Better rear LED lights.
  • More modern bumpers, not as aggressive looking IMO, and the side grills pattern doesn't match. But if you're willing to buy the Cupra R grills and give up your fog lights (290 doesn't have fogs at all) then its the better looking bumper.
  • Better interior weirdly.
  • Better larger infotainment system.
  • If you can get one with Virtual Cockpit (think that was MY2018 so late 2017 build/67 plate).
  • People say exhaust is louder, but the make up of it is no different so could be engine related.
  • Better hill hold due to electronic handbrake.
There maybe other things I've forgotten, but that's it for now. My 300 was just a much nicer place to sit I felt than my 280, but then my 280 had an ever crapper infotainment system than the 290.

Reliability wise, I can't 100% comment, as I traded in my 280 with 40k I think, and my 300 is just about to hit 26k and its already being traded in November for the no indicator crew.

However common issue is the leaking thermostat/water pump. Not a cheap job to replace if out of warranty.

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Avoid the manual gearbox, clutch is weak. I have 66 plate 290 st manual. Bought without doing my homework properly, love the car but after clutch at 40k miles and water pump, as Damo said, at 30k miles, its starting to grate a little. That's a lot of money that I shouldn't have needed to spend on a low mileage car !!

Sep 16, 2021
Welcome to the forum.

So going off of memory:

The black edition 290 had in addition to the 290's normal spec:
  • Bucket Seats.
  • Sub8 multi spoke wheels.
  • CUPRA lettering on boot in Black.
  • Extra winglets or "Side spoilers" underneath the spoiler on the rear glass.

Depending on the spec of the 290 black edition and 300:

As for 290 vs 300, some of this is subjective:

Advantages of 290 black:

• Bucket Seats (if not spec'd on the 300)
  • More aggressive (if older styling) bumpers.
  • Mechanical handbrake, if you like that sort of thing (I prefer my 300 but @Mr Pig will no doubt explain the mechanicals superiority lol)

Advantages of 300:
  • Bucket seats if spec'd are the same shape but a better trim in my opinion, Black Carbon effect trim on the 300 rather than soft white plastic of the older 290. But both need to be checked for tearing where you get in and out.
  • Better LED Headlights, although still not a patch on my Mk 2 Xenons.
  • Better rear LED lights.
  • More modern bumpers, not as aggressive looking IMO, and the side grills pattern doesn't match. But if you're willing to buy the Cupra R grills and give up your fog lights (290 doesn't have fogs at all) then its the better looking bumper.
  • Better interior weirdly.
  • Better larger infotainment system.
  • If you can get one with Virtual Cockpit (think that was MY2018 so late 2017 build/67 plate).
  • People say exhaust is louder, but the make up of it is no different so could be engine related.
  • Better hill hold due to electronic handbrake.
There maybe other things I've forgotten, but that's it for now. My 300 was just a much nicer place to sit I felt than my 280, but then my 280 had an ever crapper infotainment system than the 290.

Reliability wise, I can't 100% comment, as I traded in my 280 with 40k I think, and my 300 is just about to hit 26k and its already being traded in November for the no indicator crew.

However common issue is the leaking thermostat/water pump. Not a cheap job to replace if out of warranty.
Appreciate that response probably most detailed response I've got and helped me with my decision alot.
So these were the two I was looking at https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...romSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

Sep 16, 2021
Avoid the manual gearbox, clutch is weak. I have 66 plate 290 st manual. Bought without doing my homework properly, love the car but after clutch at 40k miles and water pump, as Damo said, at 30k miles, its starting to grate a little. That's a lot of money that I shouldn't have needed to spend on a low mileage car !!
Yep I appreciate the advice I was leaning quite heavily for the dsg automatic

Reactions: R.Bot

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
Its a Hard choice, not a easy one for sure.
but the 300 have panoramic roof and ACC, so i would pic the 300
There is no exhaust noise on them are same exhaust, i have 290 manual.
you need to pick the option better for you, that 290 have lots equipment

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Completely forgot about the clutch.

There are plenty of manual Golf R, S3 and Cupra owners who will say their clutch is find and its down to driving style. BUT to many standard cars fail for enthusiasts for me. That and Racingling described the clutch as "Like chocolate".

So yeah DSH all the way. Plus if you get a DSG you don't have to tell everyone at every opportunity that you drive a manual as your a "proper driver" lol.

How do you know someone drives a manual Cupra? Oh don't worry they'll tell you ;) Haha :)

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Appreciate that response probably most detailed response I've got and helped me with my decision alot.
So these were the two I was looking at https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...romSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars
If you go see the white one (or is it dynamic grey?, either way best 2 colours) check the bucket seats here for tearing on the white fabric (its crap):

1631867101602.png

Also based on the mileage get it checked for being clocked (sadly more common than you'd think recently due to people swapping out the speedo etc).

As for ACC, I had it on my 280 and hated it, much happier with normal Cruise on the 300, but still has the front assist. The 300 does look like its only got normal cruise though as only has the normal cruise control stalk (ACC had a 3rd stalk on my 280).

Other options do look good (Seat Sound I had retro fitted).

As for the red one, not sure how the sun roof is on the hatch, I know the estate it can squeak but that's a bigger different unit. It has the standard seats that are very very good, just don't have the visual presence of the buckets.

Its a hard choice. The mileage is high on the 300, but the 290 maybe clocked. The 290 has some popular mods already done too (Splitter, spoiler cap and DSG paddles, although cheap ones). The 290 looks like an enthusiast has had it, so maybe of been treated really well or ragged, would be handy if you could find out who had it before. 300 Looks like it could of just been someone's rep car, so may also have had a hard life and treated as a work horse.

I'd go look at them both and see if there is anything that makes one of them a deal breaker or a deal winner. At the moment my nod would be to the 300, but only just and going off of face value.

Sep 13, 2021
Go with the 300 mate. About 1500 miles into the ownership of my 2019 290 DSG and its a dream. You wont regret it. Markets gone crazy! I paid £19k for my 290 in July and it came with the digital dash and all!

Sep 16, 2021
Its a Hard choice, not a easy one for sure.
but the 300 have panoramic roof and ACC, so i would pic the 300
There is no exhaust noise on them are same exhaust, i have 290 manual.
you need to pick the option better for you, that 290 have lots equipment
Yeah I'm leaning ever so slightly to the 30 just because the red with the panaromaic roof looks really nice and I feel like the power+added torque will make it more fun to drive and sound ever so better

Sep 16, 2021
If you go see the white one (or is it dynamic grey?, either way best 2 colours) check the bucket seats here for tearing on the white fabric (its crap):

View attachment 27276

Also based on the mileage get it checked for being clocked (sadly more common than you'd think recently due to people swapping out the speedo etc).

As for ACC, I had it on my 280 and hated it, much happier with normal Cruise on the 300, but still has the front assist. The 300 does look like its only got normal cruise though as only has the normal cruise control stalk (ACC had a 3rd stalk on my 280).

Other options do look good (Seat Sound I had retro fitted).

As for the red one, not sure how the sun roof is on the hatch, I know the estate it can squeak but that's a bigger different unit. It has the standard seats that are very very good, just don't have the visual presence of the buckets.

Its a hard choice. The mileage is high on the 300, but the 290 maybe clocked. The 290 has some popular mods already done too (Splitter, spoiler cap and DSG paddles, although cheap ones). The 290 looks like an enthusiast has had it, so maybe of been treated really well or ragged, would be handy if you could find out who had it before. 300 Looks like it could of just been someone's rep car, so may also have had a hard life and treated as a work horse.

I'd go look at them both and see if there is anything that makes one of them a deal breaker or a deal winner. At the moment my nod would be to the 300, but only just and going off of face value.
Appreciate the response I have got a viewing for both of them tomorrow so exciting times, but besides the seats and the mileage clock anything else seat specific that I should be wary of or look out for? I remember something about asking when the oil was last changed as it should be done at 30k miles

Sep 16, 2021
Go with the 300 mate. About 1500 miles into the ownership of my 2019 290 DSG and its a dream. You wont regret it. Markets gone crazy! I paid £19k for my 290 in July and it came with the digital dash and all!
Honestly the second hand car market boom has been crazy but yeah was definitely leaning towards the 300

Sep 13, 2021
Honestly the second hand car market boom has been crazy but yeah was definitely leaning towards the 300
Worth checking out Cinch i reckon, that's where I got mine from. There's a dark grey 290 on there at the moment for similar money to that 300 you showed. Comes with all the bells and whistles. Had no issues with the service dropped it off at my house would highly recommend https://www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/seat/leon/details/5c0fd084-860c-48c9-98d6-e08c25208c86

Sep 16, 2021
Worth checking out Cinch i reckon, that's where I got mine from. There's a dark grey 290 on there at the moment for similar money to that 300 you showed. Comes with all the bells and whistles. Had no issues with the service dropped it off at my house would highly recommend https://www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/seat/leon/details/5c0fd084-860c-48c9-98d6-e08c25208c86
Never used cinch before also never saw this cupra on autotrader but proper good deal especially the colour

Sep 13, 2021
Never used cinch before also never saw this cupra on autotrader but proper good deal especially the colour
Good service - goes through checks and service before coming to you, free delivery on date of choice etc. Fairly reasonable finance options too. Wouldn't bother with Cinchcare though as Seat offer set services which will end up being better value I think. Colours fab, i went for Mystery Blue but i like the grey a lot. Happy hunting (y)

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Ive had a 280 and now got a 300. If you can stretch the budget go for the 300, it is the last run out model of the MK3 Cupra and it gets more toys and better put together. The better head unit and virtual cockpit modernise it greatly. The 300 in DSG is a 7 speed and also gets better fuel economy on the motorway. My 280 struggled over 30mpg the 300 hits 37mpg easily on my commute.

Jul 17, 2021
Ive had a 280 and now got a 300. If you can stretch the budget go for the 300, it is the last run out model of the MK3 Cupra and it gets more toys and better put together. The better head unit and virtual cockpit modernise it greatly. The 300 in DSG is a 7 speed and also gets better fuel economy on the motorway. My 280 struggled over 30mpg the 300 hits 37mpg easily on my commute.
Not all cupra 300 are 7 speed dsg. Some are still the dq250 6 speed transmission.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N975F met Tapatalk

Reactions: Damo H
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise