Cupra 290BE Bucket seat white trim cracked!

JayClarke

Apr 18, 2018
Derby
I'm looking at a 290 that has bucket seats but I'm put off by hearing loads of stories of ripped bucket seats and dealers refusing to help out
I migjy save up for a 300 instead

Mine where pretty creased when I first bought the car, so I think the previous owner did little to actually look after them and eventually they split.

I wouldn't let it put you off though, as long as you look after them they'll be fine - quick wipe down once a week and don't sit on the bolster, they'll be golden.

AndyGrey

Jan 17, 2008
Blyth, Northumberland
Hi all, quick update on how I got on with my seat bolster problem. So, after 3 visits to my local dealers to assess the cracked driver’s seat bolster and continuous complaints to Seat customer services after each visit. Seat was still very clear and continued to stress to me that it was not covered under warranty throughout, something I still have issues with, but with persistence and asking Seat directly for “Good Will” and suggesting to them I would not give up and would next go to the Motor Ombudsman Etc… I have now had my seat cover replaced after Seat authorised my dealer to complete the repair as stated above as a “Good Will” gesture to a valuable customer!

JayClarke

Apr 18, 2018
Derby
Hi all, quick update on how I got on with my seat bolster problem. So, after 3 visits to my local dealers to assess the cracked driver’s seat bolster and continuous complaints to Seat customer services after each visit. Seat was still very clear and continued to stress to me that it was not covered under warranty throughout, something I still have issues with, but with persistence and asking Seat directly for “Good Will” and suggesting to them I would not give up and would next go to the Motor Ombudsman Etc… I have now had my seat cover replaced after Seat authorised my dealer to complete the repair as stated above as a “Good Will” gesture to a valuable customer!

Great news Andy!

Hows the fitting of the new base? Mine was a bit baggy for a few days, but fits perfect now.

It’s a shame that we have to be so persistent to have them resolve an issue with their product, especially when it’s the result of a material that is clearly not fit for purpose.

Feb 6, 2019

Me too, after 6 months of mails, talks, phone calls, e-mails but the technician assigned to the task kindly told me that we'll very likely seen each other again soon :)

sumogtr

Jul 24, 2018
Watford
For those on lease or contract hire, you may want to know that my 290 Black Edition was collected a couple of weeks ago - this had 2 tears on the drivers seat white trim. One on the seat base and one on the vertical bolster on a seam where it had been stretched - I had started a warranty claim with SEAT but this was still under review at the time.

The BCA rep that collected the car did not even mention them in his condition report and made a point in saying that the agents were instructed to ignore these as they were deemed fair "wear and tear".

Feb 6, 2019
For those on lease or contract hire, you may want to know that my 290 Black Edition was collected a couple of weeks ago - this had 2 tears on the drivers seat white trim. One on the seat base and one on the vertical bolster on a seam where it had been stretched - I had started a warranty claim with SEAT but this was still under review at the time.

The BCA rep that collected the car did not even mention them in his condition report and made a point in saying that the agents were instructed to ignore these as they were deemed fair "wear and tear".

Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyGrey

Jan 17, 2008
Blyth, Northumberland
Great news Andy!

Hows the fitting of the new base? Mine was a bit baggy for a few days, but fits perfect now.

It’s a shame that we have to be so persistent to have them resolve an issue with their product, especially when it’s the result of a material that is clearly not fit for purpose.

Fitting is great, to me it looks to be a better fit than the original, seems to have been pulled tighter onto the back of the seat so hopefully it wont crease again. So I'm happy with the repair, but only time will tell if it does crease again and in the future crack.

But to try and stop it reoccurring I’ve got a new method of getting into the car, as follows; I back up into the car and use my right hand on the plastic part of the seat next to the height adjuster to take the weight. It’s a little harder getting out where now twist myself again using my right hand but this time on the edge of the door jar and leap out over the bolster. So I now never touch the bolster getting in or out.

What a fafon the get in and out of a car so the material doesn’t fail again!!!

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
+1 for the cracked trim. 25 months and 20000 miles. Carefully stepping over bolster from day 1 and regular cleaning. I've driven some old wrecks, but never had a ripped seat until now. Very disappointed. Love the car, but dealer's response will decide whether a Cupra Leon or something from Alfa or Volvo replaces it in a couple of years.

Feb 21, 2019
I'll be interested to see what they do with yours.
Mine's going into a dealer tomorrow to be looked at.
I'll update when I know what is happening with mine

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just heard back from my Local Dealer (Snows Portsmouth) and it's not covered under warranty.
Apparently mine aren't cracked they are torn through misuse (sliding in and out of the car)

So I'm going to have to live with them being split or get them retrimmed myself (Which I might do and get them to use a better material that won't split.

Hi Dannnnn / All,

I had the same experience...my local dealership advised that it was down to misuse and/or wear and tear by the previous owners.
They also advised that the seats have a short warranty period, so they wouldn't be covered now that my car is 2 years old.
However, they were friendly about it and advised I might be able to get a goodwill gesture from SEAT UK.

So I raised a case with SEAT UK and I have now been offered a goodwill gesture of 100% parts and 50% labour.
My dealer has informed me that this works out as £99 inc.VAT for a drivers seat base cover.
Parts need to be ordered this week but expect that I'll be getting this done soon.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Dannnnn

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
Hi Dannnnn / All,

I had the same experience...my local dealership advised that it was down to misuse and/or wear and tear by the previous owners.
They also advised that the seats have a short warranty period, so they wouldn't be covered now that my car is 2 years old.
However, they were friendly about it and advised I might be able to get a goodwill gesture from SEAT UK.

So I raised a case with SEAT UK and I have now been offered a goodwill gesture of 100% parts and 50% labour.
My dealer has informed me that this works out as £99 inc.VAT for a drivers seat base cover.
Parts need to be ordered this week but expect that I'll be getting this done soon.

Hope this helps :)

Just as a further update to my previous seat cover replacement (at IIRC 8k miles).

The car is now just over 2.5 years old with only 16k on the clock and I'VE HAD THE COVER REPLACED AGAIN FOR FREE. It seems like too many dealers just cannot be bothered to take the time to follow through on what is blatantly a manufacturing issue. The material didn't feel any different from the previous ones so expect more shenanigans in the future.

Luckily not for me though as a new car is incoming...........

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Guess I’ve been lucky, but there’s absolutely no signs of any cracking on my bucket seats on my 2016 Black Edition.
Probably see a big crack/rip in the next couple of weeks after this boast!
Don’t know if this is significant, but I’m almost 6 feet tall and weigh slightly less than 11 stones.
My partner is about 5 feet tall and weighs less than 8 stones.
I know, we need to eat more.

Reactions: LR231998

beram

Apr 7, 2015
Had mine fixed today at the dealer for €243, bit costy but glad it's fixed, now I just hope it doesn't happen again..
It's already creasing again.

I suspect within a year its going to tear again.
This sucks.

ianxx7

Nov 15, 2016
Same issue on my Cupra 290 BE (66 plate) lease car. With less than 14k miles drivers seat has cracked and ripped and passenger seat is starting to show same signs of cracking. Took to a local dealer and after a week his response was 'its my fault i must of ripped it'!!...Anyone get any more positive results off Seat Customer Services? I've just emailed them and if no response will call in the next few days.

Update...After my lease deal finished I bought it off them so wanted to get this sorted so took my car into local dealer, the technician had a look while I waited in showroom. After 10 mins was told I would be contacted within the next two days which they did to my surprise! Even more of a surprise they told me parts on order and if I bring my car back in they will refit both seats. I hesitatingly asked if this was covered under my warranty (expecting him to say no, especially as car is now over two years ) but it is!!..so they will replace both seats for free.Result!!.. I did ask if the new seat covers would be exactly the same as the old ones, but unfortunately they will be. I might try calling Seat customer service and ask but don’t hold much hope in getting different seat covers!

I did try this last year at another seat dealer but they were less helpful..so it really looks like it depends where you go whether they will replace the seats for free or charge!!

Last edited:

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
I’ve got it on both front seats on mine too. It’s very annoying to say the least. Very poor choice of material for that part of the seat!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Is it the batches, luck or just general carelessness? Mine has done 34000 miles and I’m the second owner and they have no creases or anything, still in perfect condition?

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Guess I’ve been lucky, but there’s absolutely no signs of any cracking on my bucket seats on my 2016 Black Edition.
Probably see a big crack/rip in the next couple of weeks after this boast!
Don’t know if this is significant, but I’m almost 6 feet tall and weigh slightly less than 11 stones.
My partner is about 5 feet tall and weighs less than 8 stones.
I know, we need to eat more.
Similar to me I think if you’re fat you’ll ruin your seats.

Zx7R

Dec 5, 2016
Is it the batches, luck or just general carelessness? Mine has done 34000 miles and I’m the second owner and they have no creases or anything, still in perfect condition?

I paid attention on the way I get into the car: when I sit, at the entrance, I happen to sort of sit on on side part of the bucket - right before you take central place and make yourself comfortable. This I guess - bends a bit the white trim every time and cracks it.

Now when I know what was wrong will try to get immediately to the center of the seat. BTW my weight is 67 kg - wouldn't define myself as fat :headhurt:

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Might be either a weight or build thing. I'm fairly wide-bodied and trying to keep my weight below 100kg. Mine had around 50K miles when I part-exed it and the side bolster had been creased/cracked for a bit. I think @Zx7R might be right - you need to pay attention to how you get into the car.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Might be either a weight or build thing. I'm fairly wide-bodied and trying to keep my weight below 100kg. Mine had around 50K miles when I part-exed it and the side bolster had been creased/cracked for a bit. I think @Zx7R might be right - you need to pay attention to how you get into the car.

Agree; how you get in and out of the seat can make a difference.

My mk6 Golf GTD had quite prominent seat bolsters, especially the bolster on the seat backrest. At the time, some owners with mk6 Golf GTI’s and GTD’s were having issues with premature wear on the outer seat bolsters on the driver’s seat.

I learnt to get in and out of the car without brushing against the seat bolsters. At first it felt a bit like being a contortionist to lift yourself over the seat cushion bolster and not brush against the backrest bolster, but after a short while it didn’t feel unnatural, and when I sold the car at nearly 5 years old having owned it from new, the seats still looked like new and showed absolutely no signs of wear.

The seat bolsters in my current car aren’t as prominent as they were in my GTD, but I still avoid brushing against them when I get in and out of the car. My car is now just over 3.5 years old and the seats still look new.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members