Cupra 300 nightmare in the snow

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Yes obviously worth getting winter tyres - they easily outperform summer tyres when its cold.

Having now finally had the opportunity to test my 'cheap' winter tyres in the snow and ice i must say i am impressed. I bought 4 35/35/19 91 V 'Imperial Snowdragon' tyres bradn new from a seller in Belgium.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Winter-Tyre-235-35-19-91-V-IMPERIAL-WI-SNOWDR-3/122772581717?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I had previously always got an entire set of wheels with larger sidewall tyres and used Conti Winter T850 which are generally regarded as the best winter tyre.

Although the snow dragons are not as good as the Conti, for £54 per tyre they are an absolute bargain and make driving in wintry conditions much safer and more fun. 4 wheels spinning when doing fast starts is tremendous fun.

adamant

May 13, 2014
way I drive in snow - just release the clutch pedal slowly - no gas. car slowly pulls away. I do have a diesel mind + manual box

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I cant warrant spending £350 on a set of winter tyres for 2days worth of snow.

If you think winter tyres are only valuable or useful when it snows, I suggest you educate yourself on their benefits.

I also suggest you man up. You bought a Cupra but you can't spend £350 on some winter tyres? Should have bought yourself a poverty spec Fiesta instead then.

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
If you think winter tyres are only valuable or useful when it snows, I suggest you educate yourself on their benefits.

I also suggest you man up. You bought a Cupra but you can't spend £350 on some winter tyres? Should have bought yourself a poverty spec Fiesta instead then.

You may have money to burn and why would I buy winter tyres for a couple of days of snow and it's also its a lease car what do I do with the tyres after.
I didn't know buying a car is based on my experience with the last couple of days or 1 day to be precise that would me want a Fiesta.
Just surprised with the engine loss of power due to the traction control. Perhaps you was the knob head coming down the hill because you seem to sound like one

Reactions: Wings988

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
Winter/all season tyres dramatically improve grip in winter conditions be that on snow or wet conditions. Anything below 7 Deg and the benefits are huge. Cross climates are quite expensive but I tried Kleber Quadraxer and they were great, they were also hard wearing so good value all round.:)

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
If you have storage, a set of spare winters is a great idea. The cost is more of an investment as you get 2 lots of tyres and therefore twice the distance before they need replacing. Sadly I dont have the room, but then again we don't get the weather. No snow when the rest of the country did. Also I would get the train rather than worry about an idiot crashing in to me on the road.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
If you have storage, a set of spare winters is a great idea. The cost is more of an investment as you get 2 lots of tyres and therefore twice the distance before they need replacing. Sadly I dont have the room, but then again we don't get the weather. No snow when the rest of the country did. Also I would get the train rather than worry about an idiot crashing in to me on the road.

Yes mate wise choice that's what exactly what's going to happen in the future it stops at home and I get in the MRS FIESTA !!!!!!!!!!:rofl:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
You may have money to burn and why would I buy winter tyres for a couple of days of snow and it's also its a lease car what do I do with the tyres after.
I didn't know buying a car is based on my experience with the last couple of days or 1 day to be precise that would me want a Fiesta.
Just surprised with the engine loss of power due to the traction control. Perhaps you was the knob head coming down the hill because you seem to sound like one

Like I said, educate yourself on the benefits of winter tyres. "Why would I buy winter tyres for a couple of days of snow" says it all, you don't have a clue.

And who are you calling a knob head? It isn't my problem you can't drive in the snow hahahaha, get some driving lessons in son, because you're a danger to us all.

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Like I said, educate yourself on the benefits of winter tyres. "Why would I buy winter tyres for a couple of days of snow" says it all, you don't have a clue.

And who are you calling a knob head? It isn't my problem you can't drive in the snow hahahaha, get some driving lessons in son, because you're a danger to us all.

Never had a accident in 35yrs of driving so not much of a danger to anyone and never had trouble driving in snow until Monday when I first experienced a engine drop out of power.

On previous cars never had this issue including the MRS FIESTA

I've never claimed to be the expert of tyres like yourself and the majority of people I know do not own winter tyres also and also a spare £350 to pull off the money tree to buy them, Oh I forgot I've a new Cupra so I'm loaded

I must remember next time I test drive a car for them to rein act 2ft of snow and then to compact it to solid ice to give me a better understanding how it will handles

It was a simple question had people experience engine performance drop out not for a expert on tyres to act a Knob head

And now after watching the post below mine its not just me and my shite driving. its a matter of switching the traction control off to maintain revs on the car to stop engine output drop out !!!!!! Yes winter tyres of course would improve this issue but due to my expert driving for the last 35yrs never had this problem

Last edited:

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
anyone tried a Cupra ST 4x4 in the snow yet??

Yes. :D
Today we had in Estonia rain and full ice and some snow. Very fun to drive, no problems at all. Very easy to control with gas (side ways), much better then with tdi 135kw as gas respond is much much better. Off the line is same as in the summer if you drive normally, no esp blinking.

But have not had chance to test it in deep snow, has we do not have it yet.

Edit: Winter setup 225/45/R17 with studded tires.

Last edited:

MIKEDAVIDN

Dec 3, 2016
I put my winter tyres on a few weeks ago and I will leave them on until February / March time. As stated in a reply above, while the winter tyres are on my car over winter I’m not wearing out my expensive milchelin 4S tyres which I are wasted on the car this time of year.
For safety reasons you have to put on all four wheels and not just the driven wheels, see YouTube for videos on this subject.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I had my 18" crossclimates fitted for £107 each back in October so not very expensive at all. Certainly cheaper than the summers which I need to replace anyway :)

They're the only things keeping me mobile, I live on a country road a mile from the school / village shop and 5 miles from the nursery.

Last edited:

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
I had my 18" crossclimates fitted for £107 each back in October so not very expensive at all. Certainly cheaper than the summers which I need to replace anyway :)

They're the only things keeping me mobile, I live on a country road a mile from the school / village shop and 5 miles from the nursery.

Where did you get them? My next tyre set will be cross climates or similar.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Is there a way of getting around this like switching the traction control off or is it all linked to the turbo switching off the fuel ?????[/QUOTE]

Of more concern than your tyres is that there seems to be a wee issue with your turbo if it can "switch off the fuel"? :confused:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Is there a way of getting around this like switching the traction control off or is it all linked to the turbo switching off the fuel ?????

Of more concern than your tyres is that there seems to be a wee issue with your turbo if it can "switch off the fuel"? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I believe looking on YouTube that but I'm no mechanic some cars can starve fuel when the wheel spins excessive it was only a question sorry for asking.:cry:

masher69

Sep 29, 2013
Northamptonshire
Absolute nightmare in my 1.4act fr. No traction at all on any reasonable incline.
It's also lowered 40mm so was hitting all the build up either side of the tyres.
Still thought it was safer though than using the Z4!

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Of more concern than your tyres is that there seems to be a wee issue with your turbo if it can "switch off the fuel"? :confused:

I believe looking on YouTube that but I'm no mechanic some cars can starve fuel when the wheel spins excessive it was only a question sorry for asking.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Just so long as you learn that there are always stupid questions. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Ze turbo has nicht kontrol over ze fuel pump. The ECU takes care of TC and will have various options for reducing power, reducing fuel being one of them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.