Cupra 300 nightmare in the snow

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
The snow socks came out again last night, used them to get other people out of our lane too. With wide summer tyres on, even with Quattro, our Audi also really struggled. I used winter tyres for many years then didn’t see the point for the last few and now the point is visible again :rofl: It’s a bit late for this year, but I think I’m going to get a spare set of alloys; shod in semi slicks for summer trackdays then high performance winters (Hancook RS2?) for the colder parts of the year. :)

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Im driving round a 2004 Polo 1.4 automatic until my Leon arrives and the tickover speed u get from the auto box works a treat in getting u going!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
I drove 140 miles on Friday, starting on a road that had been a major incident with army assistance the previous night. Half of it was on loose or packed snow, the rest with lots of centre and marginal piles. Didn't spin once or even light up TC on conti ts5 winter tyres that I picked up on wheels last spring. They cost me less than the cost of one tyre or a single wheel refurb. That and saving 4 months/year wear on the summers pays for them.

Would I splash £400? If I was buying a car that I was definitely keeping for two tyre cycles, yes. Getting to a Wembley gig and not forefeiting the hotel and ticket price just once has covered the cost too. If I flip the car, most VW group from MKV golf will fit them so I'll see my money back again.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
I wish everyone else had the mentality of you guys on here!

If everyone who didn't have winter tyres kept off the road during these conditions then maybe those of us who do could actually get somewhere.

Its the same every time we have snow in the UK, it takes a day or two for people to realise their car needs to stay parked up.

Don't even get me started on every muppet in a "4x4" who thinks they can somehow defy physics with their summer tyres on :lol:

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Suppose the whole winter tyres thing depends on what the weather is like during the winter months. I live in the south east and probably wouldnt benefit as the last significant snow we had was 8 years ago!

Also as well i guess if u want to protect your nice diamond cut rims from grit and salt by running on some steelies with winter rubber then u will get use from them.

Oh and yeah the whole 4x4 thing. Cuz you've got power to all wheels, doesnt mean u will have grip on any of them.

Being able to drive in snow is about reading the road a lot further ahead than normal, being smooth with gas and brakes, preparation, planning and experience

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
https://youtu.be/Z7UALmR1o_Q

Autogefuhl have, but they look like winters or even studded tyres to me?.... That car has the performance pack wheels and Brembo's too...

Yes, done about 2/3 weeks of snow driving in the last 3 months (2x alps ski trips and beast from the east). Handles superbly as i have winter tyres on. With summers on i wouldnt even try - its stupid and reckless.

The only downside is you do start ploughing the snow in the middle of the lane with the front bumper lip if there is more than 15cm or so of snow! Felt like i was doing the councils job on some of the roads around Norfolk and Suffolk!

pavarotti1980

Jul 18, 2017
The only downside is you do start ploughing the snow in the middle of the lane with the front bumper lip if there is more than 15cm or so of snow! Felt like i was doing the councils job on some of the roads around Norfolk and Suffolk!

Yeah i thought i ripped the bumper off at one point!

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
I would say there is no nightmare in the snow if you have 300 ST 4drive. FWD is good for track use and with good weather. 4drive much better for everyday use if you have rain,ice,snow, sun, rain.

I have visited several times this year an ice tracks and very fun to drive (speed up to 115km/h). One day there was also one Golf GTI 7 - this remembered me why I came over from FWD :). RWD is also very fun to drive, but only if you have special studded tires not normal ones (road legal).

But still, braking is same like with any other car.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
FWD is just as good in the snow with decent winter tyres, not got stuck once this winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=4D5KWv-wmII

Agreed. I had 235/35/ R19 Nokian WR D4 winter tyres on my stock Cupra 280 wheels. They pulled me up hills in the snow like I've never seen before. They also made it feel like I was driving in the dry around corners! Excellent stability. I breezed past a Range Rover (old shape, the one drug dealers hang about in) on summer tyres a year back.

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
Agreed. I had 235/35/ R19 Nokian WR D4 winter tires on my stock Cupra 280 wheels. They pulled me up hills in the snow like I've never seen before. They also made it feel like I was driving in the dry around corners! Excellent stability. I breezed past a Range Rover (old shape, the one drug dealers hang about in) on summer tires a year back.

Sure FWD can drive in the snow, but AWD you will have fun. Same goes for race track where FWD is much better than AWD. With FWD too much throttle in the corner = off the road, AWD = going sideways.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-to-drive-safely-in-winter/av-42846578 - something that you cannot do with FWD.

I have had last 15 years FWD, last 3 years AWD. Never go back again.:D

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
Sure FWD can drive in the snow, but AWD you will have fun. Same goes for race track where FWD is much better than AWD. With FWD too much throttle in the corner = off the road, AWD = going sideways.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-to-drive-safely-in-winter/av-42846578 - something that you cannot do with FWD.

I have had last 15 years FWD, last 3 years AWD. Never go back again.:D

Not to start a pissing contest but this whole AWD bullshit is getting out of hand.
I drove an AWD Cupra earlier this fall because i was thinking about trading in my 290 for AWD as the winters here are a mix between shitty snow and pissy rain with a sprinkle of crappy ice in between for about 6 months a year.

The AWD cupra is faster: yes.
The AWD cupra has better grip: yes.

Now when we got that out of the way i just have to add that it's heavier and boring and feels slower because it's so isolated. I had to look at the speedometer to actually notice i am going faster. My 290 felt feather light when i jumped back into it after 30 min in the 300 AWD.

This nonsense about not being able to take corners with FWD needs to stop. It has nothing to do with FWD / AWD but has all to do with the driver in the car and the tires on the wheels. I have taken turns to save my life in my old Alfa FWD GTV and the grip was there. With the 290 ESP on sport you can take wicked turns at high speed with the LSD on the front wheels. It all depends on entry speed, attack angle and exit speed. If you don't know what pedal to press at what time you will fly off a corner with AWD too. AWD is not god's angel watching over you. Just look at Nurburgring videos of the FWD cupra, it basically eats cars costing x3 more with shitty drivers, there is this one wicked driver that drives the cupra as if it's a part of his body.

I can live with having no fun for 6 months when my winter wheels are on, it's cold and shitty weather and i don't want to crash the car so it's actually the best for me to not have AWD because i will get more power down with AWD but i will for sure end up on an icey or snowy turn where AWD won't save me. So i drive calmer for 6 months, reduces chances of accidents by 50% statistically.

Give me a Cupra with 450hp and AWD stock and then the extra weight won't matter.
Same HP and torque with the extra weight and the annoying AWD feel ruins this car.
This is not a 600hp AWD GT-R that was engineered as an AWD vehicle to begin with.
VW just threw an AWD on this car for marketing reasons.

If you are a granny driver and don't know how to handle a car then you will enjoy AWD more as it's easier to drive. I am not saying you are one but most drivers are.
Most professional reviews agree about the choosing an FWD Cupra.

When will VW give us a RWD cupra, that's the question.
This is probably my last FWD performance car as i want a 400hp+ RWD or AWD as my next car now when AWD cars are starting to offer dynamic wheel bias. E63 AMG and M5 can be 100% RWD in drift mode for example. This tech will eventually reach "cheaper" cars.

Last edited:

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
If you are a granny driver and don't know how to handle a car then you will enjoy AWD more as it's easier to drive. I am not saying you are one but most drivers are.
Most professional reviews agree about the choosing an FWD Cupra.
So WRC cars are handled by grannies then? :) Rally is also one place where you need AWD as this gives you better control. On the track, FWD is better as I told before.

Now when we got that out of the way i just have to add that it's heavier and boring and feels slower because it's so isolated. I had to look at the speedometer to actually notice i am going faster. My 290 felt feather light when i jumped back into it after 30 min in the 300 AWD.
Its true, because AWD will get full speed without the drama which I like. RWD/FWD you must work hard to get the speed up in bad weather conditions.

Every person has his own needs. For me, AWD is much better than FWD, because FWD will give me that good grip only on the tarmac. Yes, it can be lighter etc. But for everyday use, i like to have AWD. Even Seat official race driver told on youtube, FWD for track AWD for everyday use. Few moments on the B roads will give same fun as with FWD.
In Estonia we have a good race track, the plan is to go there when the weather is better. Maybe I must get then FWD back :D never know.

But I fully enjoy moments in everyday traffic when I can use full power when I need, not when the weather will allow me.

You wait 6 months to enjoy the car, I enjoy it 12 months. Lighter or not, everyday use import for me.

RWD is a different thing for totally different cars.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
and hopefully you had a manual handbrake over the electronic and your set for winter driving.

That is my pet hate with the modern cars - the electric handbrake.

Why the hell do all cars have to be fitted with one now.

Much prefer a manual handbrake.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.