Cupra 300 ST - Stolen and destroyed

Moonsoutgoonsout

Dec 28, 2018
Hi all,

With regret I'm posting this (slightly delayed owing to dealing with not only this but other things life has thrown at me at the same time).

Thieves broke into my house in what appears to be a targeted raid to steal my former car recently - they took only that and likely had the house on watch as they struck while my myself, wife and kid were out in a short time window.

Shortly after if was stolen, I'm informed they used it in a failed atm raid where they blew their own getaway vehicle up - namely my car. Bittersweet in their absolute incompetence, though they did so in a densely populated area where they could have easily killed and injured people. That is the measure of them, incompetent and feckless buffoons.

Here's the thing. I'm not replacing her with another Cupra (or any other 'comparable' alternative). I'm told thieves are desparate to get their hands on any fast 5 door, with EA888 cars preferred as they make ideal getaway cars and Cupras are most definitely on their list. I'm almost certain we are under watch to see what turns up next. I'm not going through this, or the violation of our house again (we're moving to boot).

Ghost and physical security are a waste of time, they make you more susceptible to violent break-ins or robbery targeting your loved ones. If you get it back, that only puts you back on the list for a future hit (and with a certainly thrashed drive train and brakes with all manner of concealed damage). Physical house security only went so far, the police affirmed they would have found a way to breach our property to take this even if it was even more reasonably uprated. To anyone who has ideas of chuck norris - that is no good when said gang are multiple, armed and you've got something of real value to lose. I'm trained in krav maga and ex-military, I'd have a better chance than most but I'd rather just remove a reason for us to be targeted in the first place.

So on that note, I'm becoming yet another person who cedes their interest in cars to a much more mundane vehicle and will probably never own a performance car again (I also don't want organised criminals using my cars to make a bad situation worse). I've fond memories for the year that I owned my Cupra, and for that at least I'm grateful. To the rest of you owners, enjoy but take every care and precaution you can. I don't wish to alarm you, but these cars are especially attractive to thieves right now.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Sorry that you have had to be put through this experience. It’s sad that a few “bad” people can cause you to have to change so much in your life.

I hope you and your family recover from this and wish you all the best for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Sorry to hear about that, just awful. My BMW was burgled twice some years ago and I'm glad I wasn't there when it happened, car had to be repaired and was put on sale after the second time it happened, wasn't worth the stomach ache dealing with it all. Never had my house broken into though, that's much worse.

Can understand the Cupras, Rs and S3s are wanted as getaway cars, deceptively quick and quite common.

Wish you and your family best of luck.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It's difficult to find words to express how much I despise the scum on this planet who think it is their given right to screw up decent, hardworking people's lives without a second thought. Stealing the car is bad enough, but breaking into your home to do it is just an appalling violation of your lives.
I hope you and your family quickly manage to to come to terms with the experience and I applaud your courage and level-headedness.

Reactions: OJ9693

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Events like these make me nervous. I’m definitely going to have increase our security. Scum like this make me sick - we can only have these cars because we work hard for them. What is the easiest way to strengthen a wooden front door to delay kicking in etc?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Really sorry to hear this. It's just cr@p that we can't have nice things and choose the things we want rather than being dictated to by people who've never worked a day in their lives. I hope you get settled in your new home.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I also feel very sorry for you, completely horrible experience I'd think.

This in general has stifled my period of ownership of my Audi S4, it tends to exist behind closed garage door most of its time, only used for longer journeys into what I hope is safe areas of UK, that way of thinking is not right - but each to their own.

This makes me cast my memory back to when my sister in law moved from Central Scotland down to outside Canterbury - her next chosen car was a VW Golf GTI - but a couple of local VW dealers suggested that she changed her choice of car because she would probably not be able to hold onto it - so she ended up with a Polo instead, this suggestion seemed to be good advice as her husband "lost" his company car, a newish M-B SLC(?) a month later, gone and the police said it was worth their time investigating as it would be across the channel now.

When my older daughter changed her Ibiza 1.4 SC she picked a Leon Cupra I thought that a Leon 2.0TSI FR would have been a safer choice for her as she tends to drop her cars where convenient when out - so far so good!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Moonsoutgoonsout ; Sorry to hear of your recent experience. It makes my blood boil when these low life scumbags who’ve probably never done an honest day’s work in their lives think they are entitled to help themselves to other’s property, with no thought for the victims. It was fortunate that you and your family weren’t at home, otherwise things could have been much worse, which doesn’t bear thinking about.

Hi all,
Ghost and physical security are a waste of time, they make you more susceptible to violent break-ins or robbery targeting your loved ones. If you get it back, that only puts you back on the list for a future hit (and with a certainly thrashed drive train and brakes with all manner of concealed damage).

I do agree with this. I think if the low life scum who are determined enough to take your pride and joy then it’s not worth putting yourself or your loved ones at risk of psychological trauma, serious injury or even worse. I’d also not want my car back if it was stolen.

Try and put this awful event behind you so you and your family can hopefully move on.

Best wishes and good luck in your new home.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Sorry to hear this Op. Glad to hear you and your family are okay after this harrowing ordeal. Cars come and go but the health and wellbeing of loved ones is priceless.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fer16v

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
I hate to see these all too common threads. I understand how you are feeling, my S3 was taken in the same manor after just 3 weeks on my driveway.
I understand why your looking for something less conspicuous and can recommend the Leon 2.0tsi FR. Performance not up to Cupra levels but I've measured 0-60 in 6.7sec using Dragy (GPS) on cold damp road.

z1ts

Leon FR ST 1.4 Tsi DSG
Sep 4, 2018
Bristol
Bar stewards

I have a Skoda Superb with the same engine as the Leon Cupra making 300hp (few tweaks along the way!) this is a total sleeper car - no one has a clue it's got the fire in its belly that it has!!! 100% recommend if you want some performance but not the 'shouty I'm a hot hatch' loook!

Reactions: Butty

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
So sorry to hear this, it sounds awful.

sorry to ask but what happens when this happens, when your is car stolen or burnt ?
I see a lot of posts online in regards to cars been stolen and set on fire but what actually happens with funds ect...? Do you claim through your insurance and get every penny to fund another or what actually happens, what’s the first protocol?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
If these oxygen thief’s are ever caught all they’ll get is a slipped wrist likely, time justice in this country got a grip, a quick slice of a blade and these scum could then share a pair of gloves, and really make others think twice about taking something that is not their property.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So sorry to hear this, it sounds awful.

sorry to ask but what happens when this happens, when your is car stolen or burnt ?
I see a lot of posts online in regards to cars been stolen and set on fire but what actually happens with funds ect...? Do you claim through your insurance and get every penny to fund another or what actually happens, what’s the first protocol?
There may be variations in the way different insurers handle this, so if you are an unfortunate victim of having your car stolen, you’d need to check the small print in your insurance policy to see what your insurer requires you to do and the approach they will take in settling the claim. They’ll usually include a claims helpline phone number in the insurance policy document, and on renewal documentation.

As a generalisation though, you’d notify your insurer - presumably after you’ve got a crime reference number from the police which shows you’ve reported the theft to them(?). Most insurers have a 30 day waiting period before they pay out on a theft claim. The waiting period is there to allow time to see if the car’s recovered. Some insurers will provide a courtesy vehicle for the whole duration of the waiting period, some will only provide a courtesy vehicle for a max of 14 days.

If the car is less than 12 months old and you are the first registered keeper, if the car isn’t recovered many insurers will settle the claim with a brand new replacement vehicle of the same model and spec, without deduction for depreciation. If the car’s more than 12 months old, then the most the insurer is likely to pay is an amount equivalent to the market value of the car at the time it was stolen. Claim settlement by the insurer will normally be subject to an excess.

If you’ve got also got GAP insurance, you’d also need to notifiers your GAP insurer separately. The combination of car insurance payment plus GAP insurance payment should either give you a total payment equivalent to the original purchase price of the car (if GAP cover is on a return to invoice basis of cover) or a figure that’s equivalent to the current new list price of the car (if GAP cover was taken out on a ‘new replacement’ basis) - assuming you bought the car new. The GAP policy is effectively covering the depreciation and makes up;
  • the difference between the car’s market value and the original purchase price if GAP cover was arranged on a ‘return to invoice’ basis of cover
or
  • the difference between the maker value and new replacement vehicle cost if GAP cover was arranged on a ‘new replacement’ basis of cover
If a stolen car is recovered and considered repairable by the insurer, once repaired, it will have a ‘stolen and recovered’ marker attached to it. Any subsequent checks on the vehicle’s history such as an HPI check will show this marker, which will probably affect the value of the vehicle when it is sold.

Reactions: Wilkesy

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If these oxygen thief’s are ever caught all they’ll get is a slipped wrist likely, time justice in this country got a grip, a quick slice of a blade and these scum could then share a pair of gloves, and really make others think twice about taking something that is not their property.

You do wonder what a truly effective deterrent to bring people back to behaving in an acceptable manner in general would be - someone must have a proper answer for that problem, though it is a huge problem, but why only in certain areas of certain countries? It needs to start at the top of society and filter downwards and not just hitting the lower sectors of society - a bit much for a weekend thinking maybe!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
You do wonder what a truly effective deterrent to bring people back to behaving in an acceptable manner in general would be - someone must have a proper answer for that problem, though it is a huge problem, but why only in certain areas of certain countries? It needs to start at the top of society and filter downwards and not just hitting the lower sectors of society - a bit much for a weekend thinking maybe!

A hefty fine, community service or ‘free accommodation’ at her Majesty’s pleasure (at the taxpayer’s expense) is never likely to be a deterrent to those members of society who, through their criminal activities, are intent on creating misery for law abiding, hard working members of the population.

A truly effective deterrent would probably be considered to be inhumane, and not legal to administer in the UK!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Horrible story, feel for you. It's one of the reasons I've always fancied getting a high performance car and dressing it down.

The Cupra Leon for example would be relatively easy. Buy a plain colour, replace the bumpers with SE ones and you're a lot of the way there. Smallest, plainest wheels that will fit and people will think you've dressed up an SE.

You get you enjoy the performance without a lot of the unwanted attention. My kind of car.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.