Cupra 300 Stolen - Gutted

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
Hi All,

I just wanted to make people aware that you must take the security of your Cupra +yuor house seriously in this day and age.

Recently I was woken up at 1am by a loud bang and loads of car noise to find 3 cretins had kicked in my front door, taken my keys and had pinched my Mystery Blue Cupra 300. What made it worse was I got downstairs after hearing this noise and saw one of them driving off in my wife's beamer, which looking back at CCTV footage, appears to have been a bonus to them, as all three thieves get in my car and then stop when they realise my wife's car key is on my key ring also.

To say i was gutted is an understatement. The police have been helpful of sorts (they didn't seem too care about my car, but I think that's because they don't know what a Cupra is!!) however to their credit, they found my wife's car 24hrs later parked up in an alleyway only a few miles away from our house. Interestingly, when we went to collect the car, apart from being a mess inside, it was in reasonable condition (minus a overhead unit which was nicked for some unknown reason). I would note that the car had had its number plates changed to a matching beamer of the same spec, which makes the Police believe that our cars were targeted and that although they were after mine being (7months old and high performance), the beamer was seemingly a bonus (16 plate).

Over a month on we have heard nothing about my Cupra and the Police have closed the case after no sightings. Sadly because of the event, my wife has forced me not to get another Cupra and i'm now driving a 9 yr old diesel audi for my sins. The event was very traumatic, especially when we have kids and although they didn't come into the house further than our hallway, you do think of what could have been, if the keys were not in the front door.

My experience from this has been that firstly get rid of any upvc doors you have (they are a waste of space) see picture below, secondly, you can hide car keys, but getting a steering lock is a great deterrent. They look ugly, they cost over £100 and can be a pain to fit after every journey, but researching the internet, they take too long to defeat, therefore most thieves wont bother.

Our plan is to move house shortly upon which I maybe able to get another Cupra again, but for the time being with the experience still being raw in our minds, I've had to give up my thrill of driving fast with a smile everyday.

20190224_033501.jpg
my door had the middle panel kicked in therefore not disturbing the alarm and the newish anti-snap locks i had fitted. I have since had all new composite doors fitted which i can't stress is a must for any house!

20180627_134339.jpg
My 300 Mystery blue :(

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
That truly sucks :( sorry to hear about that. I keep hearing/reading stories like this and the country is in a sad state of affairs when you can't even enjoy what you work hard for in life.

I really hope the scrotes who were behind this got what is due to them and with any luck, it'll mean they can't do it again to you or anyone else.

The silver lining is that you and your family are all ok.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Absolutely rubbish. It seems these sorts of break ins with forced entry are becoming more common as people are fitting anti-snap locks. These are definitely the sorts of criminals you'd prefer to take your car easily than struggle and confront you.

What area of the UK are you in?

Deleted member 103408

Its horrible but just glad you and your family were not involved.

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
Really sorry to hear this mate

I’m getting my first ever cupra on Tuesday, I’ve spent last few weeks trying to beef up security.

Really a shame that it has come down to this.

Glad your family is ok, that is the main thing.

For your next car, take a look Autowatch Ghost. Unfortunately I can’t get it fitted as it will be lease.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs

I’m getting my first ever cupra on Tuesday, I’ve spent last few weeks trying to beef up security.

For your next car, take a look Autowatch Ghost. Unfortunately I can’t get it fitted as it will be lease.
I recently got Ghost installed. Keep forgetting about it and always confuses me for 5 seconds or so as to why the car won't start. But it's a fantastic bit of tech that does seem to work. I've heard some success stories from it, more recently of someone's C63 at work.

Reactions: bigup

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
I recently got Ghost installed. Keep forgetting about it and always confuses me for 5 seconds or so as to why the car won't start. But it's a fantastic bit of tech that does seem to work. I've heard some success stories from it, more recently of someone's C63 at work.

If id owned the car I’d defo get it fitted.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Really crap that firstly it's happened. But secondly now you feel like you can't own the car you want. Plus up the upheaval of moving home.

Seems to be on the increase as well. Going to have to look at my own security. There's a few bits I want to improve.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I imagine a couple of hours labour - I asked if it was transferrable when it was installed on mine and was said it can be fit so it's semi-permenant and although it's a faff to transfer, they do it often, especially for lease cars.

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
Absolutely rubbish. It seems these sorts of break ins with forced entry are becoming more common as people are fitting anti-snap locks. These are definitely the sorts of criminals you'd prefer to take your car easily than struggle and confront you.

What area of the UK are you in?
I live in west Yorkshire.

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018

Thanks, I had anti-snsp locks fitted and a couple of cameras at front, but they don't do anything. I've now got a disklok steering wheel lock (£120) and although I don't really need it on the car I have now, it will defo be on the next one.

You can fit ghost and then remove it before end of lease (my 300 was a lease - but no ghost), but I'd recommend the disklok

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
Really crap that firstly it's happened. But secondly now you feel like you can't own the car you want. Plus up the upheaval of moving home.

Seems to be on the increase as well. Going to have to look at my own security. There's a few bits I want to improve.
I really couldn't sleep for a few weeks, feel much better our new doors are fitted tho . Family always comes first, even if I cant enjoy myself on the back roads as much anymore

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
Thanks, I had anti-snsp locks fitted and a couple of cameras at front, but they don't do anything. I've now got a disklok steering wheel lock (£120) and although I don't really need it on the car I have now, it will defo be on the next one.

You can fit ghost and then remove it before end of lease (my 300 was a lease - but no ghost), but I'd recommend the disklok

Already got the disklok ready. Will be using it all the time Also guess it be wise not to have the key for it on the same fob as the car keys

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
That crap will only stop when the scum realise the consequences outweigh the benefit for them. Unfortunately modern Policing is unlikely to achieve that.
I can guarantee home invasions like this are rare in most parts of the US.

CovFC87

Mar 29, 2019
Already got the disklok ready. Will be using it all the time Also guess it be wise not to have the key for it on the same fob as the car keys
I would actually have the keys together, and not well hidden. I'd rather they took them than ransack the house or come and find you and force you to hand them over.

Sent from my Razer using Tapatalk

Cranny D

Dec 24, 2018
Sorry to go off topic OP

Paddy, do you know how much it would cost to transfer to another car? Hopefully not another £399
Hi mate

I had Ghost installed on mine and had it confirmed by the guy who fitted it that it's transferable to another car. He said roughly around the £150 mark depending on the vehicle.

Personally I have little issue paying this price every couple of years for that additional security. And yes, mine is a lease.

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
Hi mate

I had Ghost installed on mine and had it confirmed by the guy who fitted it that it's transferable to another car. He said roughly around the £150 mark depending on the vehicle.

Personally I have little issue paying this price every couple of years for that additional security. And yes, mine is a lease.

Excellent. Thanks for the info mate

Any issues when taking car in for service etc?

Did you have to tell the lease company about it?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.