Cupra 4 info

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
The Cupra 4 was only available with the V6 or the PD 150. These were made in and around 2002.
After 2002 it just became the 4 with the same engines.

The 1.8 20VT 4 was produced until 2002.

I never understood that Wikipedia quote about the Swiss Compressor as ABT is a German tuning house.
Acquiring a 4wd Leon won't be cheap as the Pound has been worth bugger all for the last year or so, making them very poor value for money.
Second hand cars in the UK are very cheap, probably the cheapest in Europe. Now with the € : £ being 1 : 1 it makes them even more expensive.

For example, I paid €11,000 for my Cupra 4 tdi 18 months ago and it's now 8 years old and probably worth between €9,000-10,000.

This is an obscene amount of money to be paying if you're coming with £ and it's really not worth it at all.
I bought the car as I moved to Norway for a year. Now that I'm back in Belgium all the 4wd does is weigh the car down and use more fuel. Granted, it's been handy given the recent winter but if I was buying now i'd be looking at an fr tdi..

The V6 isn't even all that quick, it's only got 204bhp. A compressor would be the best tuning route to go down, as has been discussed many times on this forum. However, starting with a Leon 4 in the UK doesn't make any sense.
You can get a Golf V6 4 Motion for peanuts and go from there, or get an A3 if you want to go down the turbo route.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I never understood that Wikipedia quote about the Swiss Compressor as ABT is a German tuning house.

I believe Abt produced the compressor kit which was sold fitted to the car you could only order in Switzerland bizarrely enough as a special edition. I even remember the car being advertised on the official Swiss SEAT distributors website ie www.seat.ch

Never sure whether or not Abt sold the compresser kit as an off the shelf modification for regular V6 owners.

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
That makes sense, albeit not a lot :p

I'm sure ABT offered the supercharger to regular V6 owners as well. They have always had a wide range of modifications for cars and engines.
Perhaps the Swiss distributers thought there would be enough demand to sell it through SEAT directly.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It struck everyone at the time as being odd as Switzerland tends to have some pretty draconian rules on the motor car. But then they sold probably the loopiest factory Leon at that time anyway.

It did exist though I certainly didn't imagine it. :)

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
It struck everyone at the time as being odd as Switzerland tends to have some pretty draconian rules on the motor car. But then they sold probably the loopiest factory Leon at that time anyway.

It did exist though I certainly didn't imagine it. :)
It did exist.
Using my outstanding Googling techniques I have deduced it was a limited special edition for the Swiss market.
Well, that and the link above ;)

Either way, it's a silly idea to do that unless you really want to waste some money. The car will be at least 6 years old.
I'd get an R32 and supercharge that. Plus it'd have RHD.

buch bdm 400

Jul 4, 2009
i was thinking of making mine 4wd but found it hard to get hold of a cupra 4. so it has the same 4wd system as the 4motion. does that mean a 4 motion 4wd will fit my cupra r

SeatR

Mar 17, 2008
Norway, Bergen
The Cupra 4 1.8T are the same as audi TT quattro 180ps i think imagine.

I bought downpipe and exhaust for this TT for my leon and it fittet straight on:)

Think the drivetrain and everything else is the same as well.

The audi A3 came with a 180ps quattro also. same thing and same engine code AJQ\ARY

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.