Cupra Audio System

koala5

Feb 14, 2009
I have just updated my aging high milage 2002 cupra to a 2005 FR still the MK1 model. My Cupra had a Aura tape HU with a CD multi changer in the glove box and I was always very impressed with the sound. The FR has a single disc head unit still made by Aura but it sounds positively dull compared with my old cupra multichange unit, "Why?"
Have they fitted crap speakers in the later models or is the HU not as good as the old one? I'm baffled. All the speakers and tweeters are working but it just sounds dull! :(
When I say dull I mean lack of treble and detail.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
I have just updated my aging high milage 2002 cupra to a 2005 FR still the MK1 model. My Cupra had a Aura tape HU with a CD multi changer in the glove box and I was always very impressed with the sound. The FR has a single disc head unit still made by Aura but it sounds positively dull compared with my old cupra multichange unit, "Why?"
Have they fitted crap speakers in the later models or is the HU not as good as the old one? I'm baffled. All the speakers and tweeters are working but it just sounds dull! :(
When I say dull I mean lack of treble and detail.

I assume you have adjusted the treble / bass / fader controls?

Seems odd as like you say my 2002 Cupra has a fab sound system

warren_cox

Back from the dead
My 53 plate LCR had philips OEM speakers, and my 05 LCR had a mix of Philips and Blaupunkt (front door woofer was philips, front tweeter was blaupunkt).

Head units were always Grundig as far as I can remember, but the speaker drivers seemed to be whatever was available, and not always a match pair!

koala5

Feb 14, 2009
Yeah tried fiddling with all the controls, the bass and treble on my old one was always set flat or +1 on the treble. The later one even with the treble at +7 max it still dont sound right. It doe's seem strange because the head unit looks very similar apart from being CD instead of tape.

Thanks anyway guys, might be time to pull the speakers out and try and see whats going on.

Last edited:

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
I have an 05 FR+, OEM stereo's are Grundig and pretty rubish, changed the HU to an Alpine and left the OEM speakers in and it sounds great. Just change the HU.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise