Cupra Connect and data usage

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Car is almost a year old and I've had the renewal email for Cupra Connect.
Its £99 for two years, which I believe is half the price it used to be.
I know what features are included but wondering about data usage?
Is the data used for connect services such as OTA map updates included in the connect package?
I ask as I did find in the menus an option for purchasing data packages (Cubic Telecom I think) at eye watering prices. Is this data separate for using internet browsing/streaming through the infotainment system?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
You're right! I paid £199 for 2 years, ouch. I use the app a lot though.

Cubic Telecom prices are ridiculous but if you want to use the onboard esim you'll have to pay for data after the first year. The good news is you can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot instead. Much cheaper & works really well.

Reactions: Andy.M

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
You're right! I paid £199 for 2 years, ouch. I use the app a lot though.

Cubic Telecom prices are ridiculous but if you want to use the onboard esim you'll have to pay for data after the first year. The good news is you can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot instead. Much cheaper & works really well.
Thanks but as my original question will renewing connect allow the nav maps to update without purchasing further data.
I don't believe I use data in the car at all as I use apple CarPlay for music and that is all through the phones data.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Oh sorry about that. Yes I believe OTA map updates are included in the Connect app subscription.

Silly question; do you even need the Connect app at all if you're not using the built in nav and using CarPlay? For me the main convenience of the app is to set up departure times for charging with mine being a hybrid.

Reactions: Fencer60

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Oh sorry about that. Yes I believe OTA map updates are included in the Connect app subscription.

Silly question; do you even need the Connect app at all if you're not using the built in nav and using CarPlay? For me the main convenience of the app is to set up departure times for charging with mine being a hybrid.
Not a silly question at all, in fact I have given this consideration as I do use CarPlay. I'm on the fence about renewing in fact.
What I'm thinking about is that the wife doesn't use CarPlay but doesn't use the sat nav either (but may need it one day?) and I'm wondering that just maybe, Cupra will give me an OTA infotainment update that works without deliberately having to visit my (distant) nearest dealer at some point.
So £99 will take me up to the cars warranty running out.

Reactions: oldgitdave
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.