Cupra Cup ?

T. Spark

As in a item to place liquid for drinking? or am I missing something here?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
One would presume the SEAT Cupra Championship...

SEAT UK have decided to pull out of National motorsport for the foreseeable future. This includes the BTCC and SCC.

There was talk of another racing club taking on the SEAT's as a clubman series, but not sure anything has or will come of it. Some may well find their way into Britcar and others may choose to enter them in the SEAT Euro Cup which follows the World Touring Car series around Europe.

T. Spark

Ohhh, cheers Z I think your idea of what was meant is better than mine!

TerryD

Thank you for clearing that up for me! Of cause I meant the Seat Cupra Cup Championship. Hope to see all those car somewhere racing?:crash:

Pablos

There is talk of a separate class for Cupra and Mosler racecars in the 2009 BRITCAR series, so it's likely quite a few will turn up there. Plus a few will also pop up in the LMA Eurosaloons series I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Carvell

There is also a V.A.G. racing series popping up in 2009 run by the 750 Motorclub and I know at least 1 will be arriving there.

Tim@Advent

There will be a UK series for the Seat's in 2009.

This will run to the Supercopa regulations as per the European series and for the first time bring the cars in-line with European spec (i.e. faster than a BTCC car!).

SEAT LEON SUPERCOPA Championship 2009

Provisional Dates

April 18/19 Donington (Nat)

May 16/17 Anglesey (Int)

June 6/7 Silverstone (Nat)

July 4/5 Assen (Provisional)

August 8 Oulton Park

September 26/27 Croft

October 3/4 Spa

October 24/25 Brands Hatch (Indy)

The series has the support of SEAT Sport who will be assisting the championship by providing a support package and technical assistance.

Television coverage is currently being negotiated and the series will run on a package to include GT Cup, Palmer Audi etc.

The Spa round will run as support to the Racing Festival weekend featuring BelCar and BTCS.

There is also the possibility for UK competitors to enter the Eurocup round that will support the WTCC at Brands Hatch.

More details will be released in the forthcoming week with a full launch at the Autosport International Show in January 2009.

Ian Carvell

Is this just for the Mk2's or will there be a class for Mk1's aswell?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Sounds good read something about this in Autosport the other week, it was mentioned briefly. Would be great to see them get back out there and race. Will certainly try and get to a few rounds in 2009.

Tim@Advent

I believe that the series is planned to allow MK1 LCR's to run as a seperate class. I understand that this will be to the original SCC regulations however so it may be that some of the cars that have been 'modified' for other series need alterations back again.

Ian Carvell

What are the regs for this Ian?

This was the Press Release:-

VAG Trophy Press Release.

New VAG Race Series.

The team behind the Mk2 Golf Race Championship are planning to launch a new race series in 2009 for Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) cars named the ‘VAG Trophy’. This will be run through the 750 Motor Club.

Overview.

Key features :

· Types of vehicle. The series is intended to provide a format for ANY 2 wheel drive model from the VAG portfolio manufactured before 2002. This includes Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda.
· Diesels. We will actively encourage the participation of DIESEL engined models. The organiser’s believe this is a ‘first’ at club level.
· Value for money. It is recognised that budgets are being cut in the current economic climate. We believe the format will facilitate some very quick lap times at comparatively low cost.
· Classes. There are 2 classes for both petrol and diesel models, allowing both near standard and modified vehicles to compete. The vehicles will be categorised on a Power to Weight basis.

Likely Vehicles.

The organisers expect to attract vehicles of the following types :

1, DIESEL VAG models.
2, Ex. Vento Challenge cars.
3, Ex. Polo G40 Cup cars.
4, Ex. ‘Slick 50’ Golf Mk1 & 2 variants.
5, Ex. VW Cup cars.
6, Ex. Trackday VAG models.
7, Seat Cupras.
8, Modified VAG road cars which are adapted for race use.

Series ethos.

The series will build on the basic ethos of the Golf Championship and the organisers will actively promote :

· Highly competitive racing. .
· Strict driving standards (non-contact !).
· Excellent value for money.
· Friendly and helpful environment in which to race.

Series structure

The series will commence in the summer of 2009 and be run over 6 rounds at 5 venues (provisionally).

Further information

Further information and draft regulations will be available from our email address : [email protected]

motorhead

This was the Press Release:-

VAG Trophy Press Release.

New VAG Race Series.

The team behind the Mk2 Golf Race Championship are planning to launch a new race series in 2009

Why so modest Ian? It’s a series invented by you is it not? I presume you’ll write the regs as well?

So why hide behind the MK2 series organiser’s banner? Credibility? or lack of it?

Ian Carvell

What are 'Seat Cupras'?

I ask as this encompasses a VERY wide range of cars

That is a good question Rob, and I can see what you are saying i.e. Ibiza Cupra etc etc

I think in the context of the press release, John is referring to ex-one make series cars so means Seat Leon Cupra Championship cars, but obviously the 2002 year cut off will exclude the Mk2 variant.

However, it is open to all V.A.G. Cars, not just ex-one make series cars, so any Seat in a specification available before 2002 is eligible to race...infact the green "Lunacy Machine" would be ideal.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Thanks for clarification Ian. Supercopa cars raced only from 2003 and were made from cars that were never actually available in the UK - the Leon Cupra4 - a 4WD variant of the Mk1 Leon.

History of Supercopa:

http://www.seatsportuk.co.uk/SccNet/?Year=2003&Page=Standings

So if the organisers intend them being included, the regs need a clarification perhaps.

Its hard for me to tell if my car is eligible given the regs as they stand as there are no details to speak of. It has been built for MSA Hillclimb Modified Production regs which may be very different and I would not change it appreciably from hillclimb spec. If it was eligible, wouldn't mind a couple of races actually. Please keep me posted with regs as they emerge.

Last edited:

Ian Carvell

The target is to level the performance of Class 'A' cars at @1:20 - 1:21 laps at Snetterton.

Clearly the Leon Cupra 'R' challenge cars even running at Championship specification are capable of 17's - 18's at Snetterton, but on slicks. From my testwork with the Mk2 there is a 1.6 second deficit when switching to Toyos...so that then becomes a 18.5's to 19.5. But I envisage a maximum rim width for them to haul this back a little further....grip is thier advantage so if they can be slowed in the corners it should level things out.

There will be one out there so we have to get this right (not mine either as the failed rumour mill may tell you :confused:)

My plans are Britcar and always have been.

I think your car is eligable from what I have seen.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Well I am glad you have made some steps forward in deciding what to do next year - Britcar should be good fun, lots of track time. I had heard that you were buying an ex-cupra championship Leon and naturally assumed it would be for this new VAG series - if allowed, I think they will be he cars to beat as they have excellent chassis and very tunable engines, but the regs need sorting out big style IMO to level the competition.

Is your family scirocco coming out of retirement for the new VAG series? nice car that.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
hmmm vag racing.. but power to weight..
that would be interesting for badgerwagen.. turn it down or ballast it by towing itself around the track- :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members