Cupra formentor infotainment issues

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
I also get this pop and bang from speakers, probably for last two weeks. I thought it's plastic bottle making that pop noise, after sitting in the sun. But today, after the pop, SOS system went out and I got error on the dash. Navigation didn't lose location, but was a bit off when getting close to home. It jumped between streets nearby. Now Cupra App is not showing correct status as well, because car didn't update servers about it. It's showing status from work couple of hours ago, open door and bonnet and car unlocked.

It's interesting that it started to happen only recently. Problems with SOS or communication modules failing after some time or some backend issue on VW servers?

Did you apply the recent update as of a couple of days ago (not a major update with visible version change)?

It mentioned connected devices amongst other things, not sure if it’s relevant.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Update on my infotainment issues - when I took it in to the dealer, they also applied a new software package across all components (where applicable) in the car, including the infotainment.

I got a call from the dealer yesterday to say that the order they had put in with SEAT to replace the infotainment had been reviewed and canceled, as with my unit the update should fix it... and... it has. I haven't had a single issue with the touchscreen since the update. No issues with touch stopping responding, no being logged out, no erroneous error messages about other systems. So far, so good.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Update on my infotainment issues - when I took it in to the dealer, they also applied a new software package across all components (where applicable) in the car, including the infotainment.

I got a call from the dealer yesterday to say that the order they had put in with SEAT to replace the infotainment had been reviewed and canceled, as with my unit the update should fix it... and... it has. I haven't had a single issue with the touchscreen since the update. No issues with touch stopping responding, no being logged out, no erroneous error messages about other systems. So far, so good.

Is that the 1790 -> 1803 update? I had an email back from my dealer yesterday to confirm that the update was in fact not applied (they assured me it was) when it went in for the Body Control Module replacement. I need to book it in again.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Is that the 1790 -> 1803 update? I had an email back from my dealer yesterday to confirm that the update was in fact not applied (they assured me it was) when it went in for the Body Control Module replacement. I need to book it in again.

I'm honestly unsure about versions - the reason being that when I talked to him about the version I had installed, ie. the one we can visibly see, he mentioned something about it being an update that isn't visible and only dealer-applied etc. etc. etc... now, that could be rubbish of course.

I'll check what version mine states in the system, but I am fairly certain, 99%, that I was already on 1803 prior to whatever they did.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Had a pink screen of death today, for the first time. Was swapping cars between garage and driveway. I think screen went pink, when I chose reverse, not sure, because I didn't really look at it, until I was already in motion, out of the garage. Started the car 1 minute later when parking it on driveway and all was ok.

Very strange and there's no logical explanation why things happen randomly to the system.

I do get popping sound from speaker on every drive now, but it sounds like it's coming from behind me in the middle of the car.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Had a pink screen of death today, for the first time. Was swapping cars between garage and driveway. I think screen went pink, when I chose reverse, not sure, because I didn't really look at it, until I was already in motion, out of the garage. Started the car 1 minute later when parking it on driveway and all was ok.

Very strange and there's no logical explanation why things happen randomly to the system.

I do get popping sound from speaker on every drive now, but it sounds like it's coming from behind me in the middle of the car.
Yes that's the pop I've heard before.

Could you post a picture of the system information/versions on yours?

Deleted member 131219

The popping noise is an indicator of a GPS signal loss; a few seconds after the pop happens, the globe and profile icons in the top right hand corner of the screen disappear. Typically, they return a short while later when the signal is re-established.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
The popping noise is an indicator of a GPS signal loss; a few seconds after the pop happens, the globe and profile icons in the top right hand corner of the screen disappear. Typically, they return a short while later when the signal is re-established.
Wasn't the case on mine - it's a really loud pop/bang and not like a notification sound, and is a defect. It's gone away since I had the updates done.

Reactions: Tell

Deleted member 131219

Wasn't the case on mine - it's a really loud pop/bang and not like a notification sound, and is a defect. It's gone away since I had the updates done.
I think we may be talking about the same sound; my wife likens it to a squirell throwing nuts at the car! :)

Anyway, good to know yours has been fixed.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Yes that's the pop I've heard before.

Could you post a picture of the system information/versions on yours?
20210827_151736.jpg

I hear popping sound once per every drive for a month or so. Initially, I thought it's plastic bottle in the drink holder. But only on two occasions, after the pop, I got SOS error and GPS lost its location. Otherwise, nothing happens after the pop.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
View attachment 26757

I hear popping sound once per every drive for a month or so. Initially, I thought it's plastic bottle in the drink holder. But only on two occasions, after the pop, I got SOS error and GPS lost its location. Otherwise, nothing happens after the pop.
OK yep you're on what I was before the dealer updated it, and my control panel software got updated to 6078 - and it fixed everything for me.

fpdoc0697

May 22, 2021
OK yep you're on what I was before the dealer updated it, and my control panel software got updated to 6078 - and it fixed everything for me.
I’m looking at getting this update myself. I’m on software 6074 with the popping sound. How long did it take them to update it to 6078? Did you have to leave the car at the dealership?

Sep 2, 2021
My Formentor has been problems ever since taking delivery in May with the screen. Commonly goes completely black and can’t change any air con settings or any functions till the car is restarted. Have people found the cupra after sales to be a positive experience ? Was informed by my dealer that it would be over a month till they can take it in to look at and recommended using seat assist to get someone out and as expected the car brought up fault codes so supposedly I can just take the car in. So disappointing such an amazing car has such a big design flaw in this infotainment system but that seems to be the way cars are going now.

Deleted member 131219

My Formentor has been problems ever since taking delivery in May with the screen. Commonly goes completely black and can’t change any air con settings or any functions till the car is restarted. Have people found the cupra after sales to be a positive experience ? Was informed by my dealer that it would be over a month till they can take it in to look at and recommended using seat assist to get someone out and as expected the car brought up fault codes so supposedly I can just take the car in. So disappointing such an amazing car has such a big design flaw in this infotainment system but that seems to be the way cars are going now.
It’s important to remember that the infotainment system is the one component over which Cupra has no say at all. It’s a VAG-wide system imposed on Cupra by the parent company and it has to take it as it is.

Tell

Staff member
It’s important to remember that the infotainment system is the one component over which Cupra has no say at all. It’s a VAG-wide system imposed on Cupra by the parent company and it has to take it as it is.
It's true to say Cupra is only branding. It's all VAG, they press the steel differently 😉. If VAG systems have got wobbles in them they get replicated across VAG brands. 2020 on was a key year as mib3 (the infotainment system) came in across the brands irrespective of the MQB platform. It's the platforms which also brought in other systems, why complaints are far fewer on say the new Ateca / Tarraco against Formentor / Leon 4 which is on the MQB Evo

The cars below have common control units and coding between them (revised from previous systems):

Mib3 brought connect services and a complete new system. It's that, the software, the servers, the apps etc which have common issues across the VAG brands. Mib is revised on a 5 year cycle. Mib3 being the third.

For that group of cars you got new systems in the control unit than were in previous platforms plus the mib3 issues which are across all models. They will be ironed out by software updates, some by the dealer network and it's what they actually do to fix things is useful to know for other people. Some system behaviour issues you can be fine tuned yourself if you are prepared to roll your sleeves up. The undertaking issue, lane assist defaulting to on etc... buggy systems do need updating or control units replaced.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
So had the V2 a couple of months and apart from the ACC going a bit weird( in one part of the country only) it has been faultless. That was until 4 days ago when the the infotainment system has become a PITA. There was no update prior to it going up its own bum and no matter how many resets, log in's, user setting changes, it just wont behave.
Issues that have been problematic are:
Heated seat coming on itself when no one sitting in it.
Wont load/change user.
Camera intermittent.
Volume slider not working.
Dash display reverting to standard view intermittently.
And the usual ACC/mph/kph issue.

So much for the MY22 being improved.
Software 1804, Display unit - 6074.

Booked into the dealer for "we will have a look but these new cars are like big computers and get glitches" F*#K OFF. (had this with the VZ Edition).

:banghead2:banghead2:banghead2[:@][:@][:@]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise