Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
The CUPRA Formentor, the first vehicle developed specifically for the brand, has been nominated as one of the seven finalists in the prestigious European Car of the Year 2021 award.

This is the culmination of a short journey for the brand, which started in February 2018 when CUPRA was born. The product range has been expanded and transformed since then, including CUPRA Ateca, CUPRA Leon and CUPRA Formentor.

“The CUPRA Formentor’s nomination in this year’s Car of the Year award is a tribute to the hard work and dedication of the brand’s entire team. The CUPRA Formentor, our first uniquely designed and developed model, is a real game changer: It brings a dimension to the market that hasn’t been seen before, helping make the brand more visible and desirable. With the CUPRA Formentor, we are joining a new growing segment in Europe.”Wayne Griffiths, President of CUPRA and SEAT

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Ventsi

Nov 13, 2020
That's a great achievement. However we all know a truly electric car will win, most probably the VW ID.3

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
That's a great achievement. However we all know a truly electric car will win, most probably the VW ID.3
Agree, all down to the 'politics' of saving the planet, one battery at a time! Formentor would be a worthy winner, but doomed to lose out to a plug-in car, although in fairness the ID.3 wouldn't be a poor choice, if it wins.

Ventsi

Nov 13, 2020
I've driven an ID.3. It's a cool, quirky car, but the interior quality is nowhere near the Formentor.
Maybe if the Formentor started with the hybrid engine, as they were promising a year ago, it would have a slightly better chance of winning.

Reactions: jcbmally

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Off topic but I hope an electric one does not win, they are not quite there yet. Development for electric cars has been a pish take. First electric car made in 1890 and if you take the level of development companies have had, an average of 160miles is not that great in 130 years. TBF when you do enough digging the oil companies own a few rights to electrification so not in their interest (well until now) to develop it quickly. I'm old school and I am going to miss the ICE and until an electric car can get me 350miles (real world miles) non stop to my holiday residence then they are not for me.

Cupradev

May 10, 2021
Confused why its even in the running when its only just come out, also seems every owner on here has issues with
That raises a question, has any owner on here experienced zero problems with their Formentor?
This could be interesting, BUT what I have seen on here is a mixture of genuine glitches and also a good deal of user error with people either not understanding the new tech, not using it properly or just plain not reading the manual. 🤣🤣
Also human nature is that people will post on forums when things go wrong. For instance nobody will get in their car, drive it, park up and then come on here and post “went for a drive today, everything was as it should be”. 🤓🤓
For balance, maybe they should start to. 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 2, 2021
Lol it will never happen on a car forum.
Not reading the manual is a bloke thing, if it needs reading it’s too complicated. A well designed car should be intuitive to use, even one with lots of “tech”. I’m going to have to give in with this one though.

My “driving” experience so far (all of 235 miles) has been alright. Car is much quieter on the motorway than my 290, much more planted on the road and corners like it’s on rails, it’s quick enough too but without the torque of my C63, on paper it’s just as fast but doesn’t feel it from the drivers seat.
It’s comfortable too, lovely seats, the music system is decent now I’ve had a fiddle with the EQ, the wireless car play works a treat although the screen layout is a bit Micky Mouse. Sat nav works but don’t like the way it doesn’t give you route options to choose from).
Managed to cram loads of gear for a few days away with the wife and sprog so getting the fishing gear in won’t be too much of a problem. Had a few people stop me and say they love the car..what is it? Lol. Never had that before so it’s different enough to grab the attention of others.
So, apart from a few user error issues (most probably) it’s decent. Even the Mrs likes it so that’s high praise indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
This could be interesting, BUT what I have seen on here is a mixture of genuine glitches and also a good deal of user error with people either not understanding the new tech, not using it properly or just plain not reading the manual. 🤣🤣
Also human nature is that people will post on forums when things go wrong. For instance nobody will get in their car, drive it, park up and then come on here and post “went for a drive today, everything was as it should be”. 🤓🤓
For balance, maybe they should start to. 🤷🏻‍♂️
There is also an element of those that are so excited by their new car purchase that they are willing to overlook “minor” issues.

I don’t think anyone can argue that the car was pushed out before it was ready with way too much kit for the car’s system to handle. That’s okay if they know how to sort the problems, but they don’t.
It’s been said before but we are beta testing the car and the dealerships are also learning their way around it by trial and error.

There is a sweet spot in a cars life when they right all the wrongs - facelift - that’s when this car will be bang on the money.
As early adopters we are paving the way for a better car in 3 years time. Those buyers of eventual facelift models should thank us all.

Reactions: IanH72 and MrMinch