Votes: 4 1.0%
  • CUPRA Formentor VZN

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Guys really stupid basic question but I wanted to ask it. As I've never driven an automatic before what's the processs with gear selector stopping and starting again? I.e slowing down approaching traffic lights. When you come to a standstill do you have to put the car into neutral to avoid the car moving while it's idling? Or do you have to keep your foot on brake?

The unique stupid question is the one that's not asked. The normal is to stay in D or S when you drive, no need to put it into Neutral (N) when idling at a traffic light.

Never looked at it on the owners manual but for sure it will teach you how to drive a DSG gearbox equipped car. Has the best of two worlds: Efficient as a manual gearbox, comfortable as an auto on rush hours. If not sure about this, sure that in Driving school can give you a crash course but sure you'll get a grasp shortly when you start driving it. In fact, I do not consider actually to get a manual gearbox equipped car.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
It would roll forward if you don’t keep foot on brake at a standstill. The engine will autostop with foot on brake or auto hold/handbrake on. If the auto hold/handbrake devices are not on, as soon as you lift off the brake it will go forward but if they are they will not release until you press the accelerator.

Cheers for that. I know it will get a little bit of getting used to. So coming up to a red light brake come to standstill, handbrake on. Then just accelerate on green. When you come to park up and leave your vehicle do you need to put it in neutral before you press the park button or can you press the park button straight away when you have come to a stop?

Reactions: jcbmally

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Cheers for that. I know it will get a little bit of getting used to. So coming up to a red light brake come to standstill, handbrake on. Then just accelerate on green. When you come to park up and leave your vehicle do you need to put it in neutral before you press the park button or can you press the park button straight away when you have come to a stop?
At the lights handbrake/auto hold or just keep foot on brake. But yes if handbrake is on just accelerate away. When you stop and switch off the car (still in gear) it will automatically go in Park, but if you were in neutral it will “beep” to tell you to press Park when you open the door.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
At a junction i either hold on brake or pull handbrake as i dont like auto handbrake as i like a rolling start. Or if you have the auto handbrake on it does it for you with 1st gear pre selected then when you press noisy pedal again it releases as car moves off.

Can you explain what you mean by "I don't like auto handbrake as I like a rolling start". Is there more of a jerk when on auto handbrake?

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
At the lights handbrake/auto hold or just keep foot on brake. But yes if handbrake is on just accelerate away. When you stop and switch off the car (still in gear) it will automatically go in Park, but if you were in neutral it will “beep” to tell you to press Park when you open the door.
Thanks for that jcbmally. Just wana be as reassured as possible don't wana look like a prat or roll forward into an obstacle, I'm sure I will pick it up quickly once I get it on monday.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Thanks for that jcbmally. Just wana be as reassured as possible don't wana look like a prat or roll forward into an obstacle, I'm sure I will pick it up quickly once I get it on monday.
I think the car tells you what to do. Like when starting, it tells you you cannot start until you depress the brake pedal.

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
I remember my first DSG experience but after 10 mins I thought “no more manual for me”.
Disclaimer: I do not and will not state autos are better than a good old manual, but I’m a bit older and can’t be arsed changing gear.:joystick::thumbup:

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
I remember my first DSG experience but after 10 mins I thought “no more manual for me”.
Disclaimer: I do not and will not state autos are better than a good old manual, but I’m a bit older and can’t be arsed changing gear.:joystick::thumbup:

Haha fair enough. It's going to be painful running it in for the first 1000 miles. Going to be so tempting just to drop a gear and redline it

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Haha fair enough. It's going to be painful running it in for the first 1000 miles. Going to be so tempting just to drop a gear and redline it
Haha, yes defo run it in. There will be all sorts of comments whether you do/do not but I’ve always run petrol engines, result = no oil use, decent mpg.
Diesels are a different story, I used to be a HGV driver (still dabble), a truck would be used from day one pulling 42t. Soft approach to diesels ruins them.
But back on your topic, my car was a bit “flat” when new but I’m now at 2k miles and it definitely sounds/goes better. Got better at 1400miles but now it’s come alive.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Haha, yes defo run it in. There will be all sorts of comments whether you do/do not but I’ve always run petrol engines, result = no oil use, decent mpg.
Diesels are a different story, I used to be a HGV driver (still dabble), a truck would be used from day one pulling 42t. Soft approach to diesels ruins them.
But back on your topic, my car was a bit “flat” when new but I’m now at 2k miles and it definitely sounds/goes better. Got better at 1400miles but now it’s come alive.
I'll need to think about what trips to take to go through this running in period. Time to go visit the sites. With my usual Covid mileage it would take several months.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021

That's good to know, I think someone else previously said that their car felt more alive after the first few weeks of getting some serious miles under the belt. Yeah like you Peyton I'm now thinking of the fastest way to get these miles done ha

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
If I need to clock miles quickly, I can visit office 13 times and it will be enough. In one of the previous cars, I did 500 miles in day one, got to 1000 by the end of the week and drove to Berlin for weekend. Car was ready for Autobahn. 5000 miles in first month. Unfortunately, not something, that can be done now.

Reactions: jcbmally and Peyton

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
I’ve said it before, I’m convinced the ECU’s are programmed in some way to ensure we don’t really overload them for the first 1000miles, but that’s just me.

Reactions: Peyton

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Can you explain what you mean by "I don't like auto handbrake as I like a rolling start". Is there more of a jerk when on auto handbrake?

In my previous Leon Cupra, if I had the auto handbrake on it would cut in as soon as the car came to a stop. When you put your foot in the noisy pedal it seemed to “wait” a second or two to release.

If I come towards a junction and stop, I like to be in control of when the car will move forward and Ive found that by controlling the electric handbrake when I need it, it suits me better. My personal choice. Others might find the electric handbrake to be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Peyton

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
Newby questions time:

Where do I find the sound adjustment (ie bass / treble)?
Is there a way to project maps from CarPlay onto the virtual cockpit?
where do you find the total (not trip) mileage?

Im going to have to read the manual for this car - there’s loads going on.
First impressions are good.

Last edited:

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
Make sure you get your freebies, Carbon Fibre look key cover and man bracelet, first aid kit (brick shaped bag in boot).

Got my freebies.
Welcome to the tribe box, first aid kit, spare Cupra mats and a couple of phone cables.

Bracelet and fake carbon key cover will stay in the box, but will use the mats for summer mats.
Nice touch getting extra mats as it’s always something I have.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
You’ll love it

Infotainment system is a bit of a faf to set up. But worth taking the time to do it.

Virtual pedal is hit and miss but electric tailgate is great.

Keep an eye on nappa leather seats. My previous car had a lot harder leather and it didn’t mark. My Formentors nappa leather is lovely and soft but creases easily.

Picture shows how it looks after getting in and out of the car 3-4 times only
5b89604a74d0c08ffc7de5f9edfafd04.jpg

Ive been told a good leather feed often is the best bet.

Hi lads, just received my leather care products, quick question is it best to apply the leather cleaner/balm as soon as I get the car or is it to be used when creases/ wear has taken place? And also how regularly does the leather need to be treated?

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Hi lads, just received my leather care products, quick question is it best to apply the leather cleaner/balm as soon as I get the car or is it to be used when creases/ wear has taken place? And also how regularly does the leather need to be treated?

Was wondering the same until I came across this YouTube clip. Now not sure I'll bother tbh

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
I've just sent a text to my dealer to let them know I am expecting those to be with the car! Ha

Guys really stupid basic question but I wanted to ask it. As I've never driven an automatic before what's the processs with gear selector stopping and starting again? I.e slowing down approaching traffic lights. When you come to a standstill do you have to put the car into neutral to avoid the car moving while it's idling? Or do you have to keep your foot on brake?

Sorry I know it's going to be an obvious answer.

Check it out... from minute 9:50 approximate

Cars come out from factory tested and checked.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.