Cupra Formentor Plug in Hybrid main touchscreen unit keeps rebooting

Mar 24, 2023
Hello,

I am a new owner of a Cupra Formentor Plug in hybrid that I received one week ago. Everything was ok and I was very happy with the car until today. When started the car this afternoon after 2 minutes the sound stopped, the touch screen frozen and after a few seconds rebooted. This was repeated 4-5 times in a row and after that the screen didn't turn on again and remained black.
Also the SOS fault appeared on the drivers unit and also had a message that ACC feature is unavailable.
I tried to turn off/on the car, leave it for 10 min and tried again and the problems remained. I also tried the hard reset by holding the touch power button for 10 seconds, the screen turned on and after a few seconds started the rebooting cycles again.

Have this ever happened to anyone else? I searched the forum but nothing similar came up in the results.
Any suggestions?

I will go to the dealers on Monday, but for the weekend I can only drive without the ability to control A/C, any system settings, park assist, ACC system etc.
Also something else that I noticed from the 1st day, but I don't know if it is relevant with this problem, is that very often I was having the error of Qi wireless charging stop working without any reason, when putting my iPhone on the Qi charging pad. I was getting the error without having anything else in the charging pad.

Thank you,
Leonidas

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
The sos error is a common glitch, it usually goes away after leaving the car off for a bit of time. Not had symptoms like you describe though at the same time. Had it reboot and freeze a few times in separate occasions.

flatbone

Feb 12, 2023
I've also had this happen a few times, on my hybrid, but not as bad. I think I had like 2 in a row, at the worst and a few random single reboots.

Each time, I had the phone connected through USB for Android Auto and figured it had something to do with that and possibly other factors like 4G signal or interfering signals. But it seemed pretty random so far.

I saw that you did not mention the fw version. Mine has been on 1896 for more than 8 months, updated from 1893, but this issue appeared only recently, as of 2-3 months ago.

In my case it wasn't that annoying to take it to the dealer, yet.. but I imagine they would just update it to 1898 hoping it would fix it.

Please update us on what the dealer says in your case.

Reactions: V2Formentor
Mar 24, 2023
Thank you for your answers. The car is at the dealer's from yesterday and they told they will need about a week in total. it is a common problem, but in some cases it is a simpler fix as they said (software update, hard reset), in other cases the screen and/or the cpu needs to be replaced so it will take longer. So I am waiting for an update when they know more details about the problem.
I will post when I have more news.

Mar 24, 2023
I've also had this happen a few times, on my hybrid, but not as bad. I think I had like 2 in a row, at the worst and a few random single reboots.

Each time, I had the phone connected through USB for Android Auto and figured it had something to do with that and possibly other factors like 4G signal or interfering signals. But it seemed pretty random so far.

I saw that you did not mention the fw version. Mine has been on 1896 for more than 8 months, updated from 1893, but this issue appeared only recently, as of 2-3 months ago.

In my case it wasn't that annoying to take it to the dealer, yet.. but I imagine they would just update it to 1898 hoping it would fix it.

Please update us on what the dealer says in your case.
Unfortunately I don't have any data about the firmware version, because the moment the problem appeared the screen is totally useless, it works for 5-10 seconds and after that it frozes and reboots. The problem is permanent.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Did you get this sorted.. ? Mine arrives next week so hoping I won't get the reboot problems :)

MarauderMaisy

Jun 20, 2021
So I had mine in just over a month ago to get this particular issue sorted. Software got re-flashed onto version 1898 and things were fine... for a while. Then the car insisted on installing an OTA update and then the issues came back. So I feel like the issue is a bad OTA update and it can apparently only be fixed by having a main dealer re-flashing it with software version 1899 or newer, which unfortunately has to be done by a main dealer manually.

Mine is going back again this week to get another software bump done. Hopefully it will indeed be version 1899.

Update: Dealer called me and said the latest version for my car is 1898 and they can't see any fault codes so "warranty won't cover any further diagnostics" which leaves me sod out-of-luck.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023
I finally got the car back a week ago! My formentor plug-in hybrid was at the dealers for 3 months!!! Because they we’re waiting for an update to fix the blank infotainment screen and safety errors. After dozens of complains they agreed to replace the cpu of the car but they told me the error might come up again. After I got the car from the dealers a week ago, I have the new software update notification but I am not going to update because I don’t trust at all this brand. I will stay with version 1900. There are More chances to replicate the black screen problem. Although I have the car for one week now, one day it complete reseted the screen by itself and lost all settings, stations etc. like I was using it for first time. I truly regretted choosing this car and never going to choose anything from WV group ever again.

Attachments

• IMG_9586.jpeg
    IMG_9586.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 120

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
Hi Leon, maybe you opt to check this thread: https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/new-software-update.472076/
May I ask whereabouts you live in Greece?
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I have had my car for 2 years without any trouble other than the rebooting trouble which started 2-3 months ago and the occurrence of an SOS fault which happened a month ago. Took the car to the dealer who said that there was a connectivity issue. I was told that the upgrade would most probably cure the issue. If not, then they would check the BDF module i.e. the connectivity cpu. I have been upgraded to 1940 and all seems to be working fine so far.
Mind you that after I had the upgrade done I needed to have both keys in the car in order to get me back as the primary user.

Mar 24, 2023
Hi Leon, maybe you opt to check this thread: https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/new-software-update.472076/
May I ask whereabouts you live in Greece?
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I have had my car for 2 years without any trouble other than the rebooting trouble which started 2-3 months ago and the occurrence of an SOS fault which happened a month ago. Took the car to the dealer who said that there was a connectivity issue. I was told that the upgrade would most probably cure the issue. If not, then they would check the BDF module i.e. the connectivity cpu. I have been upgraded to 1940 and all seems to be working fine so far.
Mind you that after I had the upgrade done I needed to have both keys in the car in order to get me back as the primary user.
Hello, I am located in Athens, Glyka Nera and the car was at Velmar dealers in Gerakas. So far from the thread seems that 1940 is good and no issues. But I am hesitant to update yet. I will wait for some time and if no issues occured from others I will book an appointment for upgrade.
Both keys after the update is quite difficult as the car is with leasing from Hertz. Have done that once in the past to enable the remote lock/unlock from the app and it was time consuming. Thanks.

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
Hi Leon, just for your information, I use the services of SEAT Makris at Galatsi. They've been very cooperative and helpful for the past 2 years I've been dealing with them.

Reactions: leonbis2000
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.