Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What makes a CUPRA a CUPRA? Before the rebrand customers were clear what a CUPRA model was, it was the fastest “sportiest” SEAT you could buy, SEAT’s “hot” models. FR models were the “warm” models, looking a bit like the CUPRAs but had the lower powered engines and a bit less bling. Now FRs are just a trim and can come with a one litre engine, but that’s a story for another day.

CUPRA Formentor, the dedicated brand’s “Pure” Cupra model will be available with a 1.5 litre 150HP engine. To put that into perspective that’s less power than the 1.8T MK1 SEAT Leon CUPRA from 20 years ago which had 180HP. You can also currently buy SEAT’s with more power than the base CUPRA Formentor.

There is also a 1.4PHEV version on the way with a bit more oomph, either 204HP or 245HP, but it’s the first time you have been able to buy a CUPRA model with less power than a SEAT.

Oh...

Continue reading...

sumogtr

Jul 24, 2018
Watford
I also note that if you get a VZ1 but add metallic paint, you have a whole load more road tax to pay for 5 years as the RRP exceeds £40k - perhaps it would have been better to price at £39995 and include a range of paint options?

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I also note that if you get a VZ1 but add metallic paint, you have a whole load more road tax to pay for 5 years as the RRP exceeds £40k - perhaps it would have been better to price at £39995 and include a range of paint options?
This is what I liked about the Ateca (which is still true now). It's odd that the Formentor is different. Also the reason I bought in March, before the tax changes and when the C&S list price was under £40k!

Yaz2010

Sep 16, 2020
Is 43840 final cost for the launch edition ?

Anyone with pre orders been able to get any discounts?

Also does anyone know the exact specs of this car ?

Is the car available for a viewing at any of the dealerships?

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I never really got the point of making Cupra a separate brand but hey I'm not a marketing guy so I can live with it. Now it's just been devalued even more with the introduction of low powered Cupra models. How will they be badged and marketed? Is Cupra just upmarket SEAT like DS is for Citroen?
Will they have Cupra performance models badged Cupra and low powered ones just with the model name or some kind of power output identifier like Audi use? It's all very confusing. They might as well get rid of SEAT entirely, badge all cars as Cupra and have Cupra SE, Cupra FR, Cupra Cupra etc...

Yaz2010

Sep 16, 2020
I cant agree with you enough. So instead of giving the lower power models to Seat they have become an independent company and it just the defeats the brands sporty nature. Only differentiation is if they continue to offer free cupra care for lower models which would make it a little different to Seat provided their lower models can compete with other German rivals on price and quality.

sumogtr

Jul 24, 2018
Watford
Is 43840 final cost for the launch edition ?

Anyone with pre orders been able to get any discounts?

Also does anyone know the exact specs of this car ?

Is the car available for a viewing at any of the dealerships?
Yes re price of launch edition
Specs are at the top of the thread - there maybe some further options
First cars into dealers are next month I believe

Yaz2010

Sep 16, 2020
Just thinking whether its worth waiting for the 400hp engine. Any news on when that one would be available?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
not even guaranteed there will be one. just because they are testing one doesn't mean it will get the go ahead, and even then doesn't mean UK will get it. MK1 Leon for example there was a v6 version but UK didn't get it.

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I never really got the point of making Cupra a separate brand but hey I'm not a marketing guy so I can live with it. Now it's just been devalued even more with the introduction of low powered Cupra models. How will they be badged and marketed? Is Cupra just upmarket SEAT like DS is for Citroen?
Will they have Cupra performance models badged Cupra and low powered ones just with the model name or some kind of power output identifier like Audi use? It's all very confusing. They might as well get rid of SEAT entirely, badge all cars as Cupra and have Cupra SE, Cupra FR, Cupra Cupra etc...
I agree completely, but for some reason I suspect this is only for the Formentor, which Seat won't have an equivalent car for?
The idea that you'd have less powerful Cupra Atecas or Cupra Leons is bonkers, because the Seat equivalent already exists. I don't agree with it personally, but again I'm also not a marketing guy - so what do we know?

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I agree completely, but for some reason I suspect this is only for the Formentor, which Seat won't have an equivalent car for?
The idea that you'd have less powerful Cupra Atecas or Cupra Leons is bonkers, because the Seat equivalent already exists. I don't agree with it personally, but again I'm also not a marketing guy - so what do we know?
I also wonder whether it has something to do with EU emission regs. I recall car manufacturers need to have lower average emissions to avoid surcharges/penalties, and so maybe this is Cupra's way of doing that. Unless they count as being part of the bigger VW group, in which case I could be talking nonsense!

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I also wonder whether it has something to do with EU emission regs. I recall car manufacturers need to have lower average emissions to avoid surcharges/penalties, and so maybe this is Cupra's way of doing that. Unless they count as being part of the bigger VW group, in which case I could be talking nonsense!

Yes I think that's part of it. That's what I suggested briefly in the article. ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members