Cupra Formentor- Running in

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hi guys, thought it might be useful if anyone had any questions about running in their formentor to put it in here.

How have people been treating their Formentor's? I've tried to stick largely to the manual saying not to exceed 3,200 revs but have found a couple of times I've strayed to 4000 but then took my foot off. Last night I also accidentally strayed to around 5000rpm in 2nd gear for a brief second ( I was in manual, thinking I was in D). My running temperature was more than fine but Im still a little disappointed it happened ha!

What have people been getting for their mpg early doors? I know mpg is meant to increase after the initial running In period. The majority of my trips have been quite short which I know isn't ideal as I have a short commute to work. I'm trying to find reasons and excuses to go for a long drive. I've been playing around with the different driving modes and sit at about 27-29 mpg after just shy of 300 miles

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Also is it advisable to change your oil after running in or is it just the usual annual service?

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Hi guys, thought it might be useful if anyone had any questions about running in their formentor to put it in here.

How have people been treating their Formentor's? I've tried to stick largely to the manual saying not to exceed 3,200 revs but have found a couple of times I've strayed to 4000 but then took my foot off. Last night I also accidentally strayed to around 5000rpm in 2nd gear for a brief second ( I was in manual, thinking I was in D). My running temperature was more than fine but Im still a little disappointed it happened ha!

What have people been getting for their mpg early doors? I know mpg is meant to increase after the initial running In period. The majority of my trips have been quite short which I know isn't ideal as I have a short commute to work. I'm trying to find reasons and excuses to go for a long drive. I've been playing around with the different driving modes and sit at about 27-29 mpg after just shy of 300 miles

Also is it advisable to change your oil after running in or is it just the usual annual service?
No need for an oil change until your service is due 👍

Reactions: Zephyr

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021

Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens 😁

Mpg sounds alright especially if you're doing short journeys.

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
Use super unleaded, let it warm up properly and then just drive it!
Running in an engine is a myth!
Bedding in brakes is sensible though.

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
I've driven mine rather, no, very hard since it was delivered with 12 miles on the clock. I think it's a myth also. Brakes bedding in I agree with.

Reactions: Peyton

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
It's reassuring to know a lot of people think that in this day and age it isn't really needed. I think I will still keep sensible ish before I start hitting the redline gear after gear accelerating but nice to know the odd blip up the engine rev range won't do any harm. After all I guess the rev range needs to be explored to some extent for the engine to bed in anyway..

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I find the bedding in an interesting topic. Some manufacturers dropped it completely and I understand why.

For one, all engines are tested before release. Cars are driven multiple times before they reach the dealer. Manufacturing is much more precise today then in the past, so there is little "rubbing" inside the engine that gets taken care of with bedding in. Let's imagine that there is some bedding in and parts rub against each other. If this is true, there should be an oil change after that as you do not want metal shavings in the oil. VAG does not require a oil change so it is unlikely they expect any serious "rubbing" to happen. Also, majority of people who buy a new car do not do anything special regarding bedding in and the cars are fine. If this was a risk for the manufacturer, I'm sure they would build in some safety controls into the map to limit the RPM in first 1000 miles. This would be much safer than to get warranty claims when cars are not bedded in properly.

Most of comments online about bedding in are anecdotal. No one really has 10 identical cars and then does the bedding in various ways to properly test the effects.

That being said, I will take it slightly easier at first.

This is not a recommendation and I am not a licensed mechanical engineer.

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I think the main thing to remember is that the engine and oil temperatures needs to be hot before hard use and don’t keep the rev’s at the same speed for long periods.

Last edited:

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
With new cars i've always gone down the route of taking it fairly easy for the first 500-1000 miles on both the engine and the brakes, but even through that period once everything is up to temperature i do normally put my foot down a bit once on the move just to put everything under pressure.

So say once out of a junction an into 3rd i'd normally put my foot down a bit, always found that with automatics using manual mode makes it easier as you can just use the gearbox to make sure that you are not going too high up into the rev range. Main thing is just making sure that the car isnt labouring at any point, but hard to do when you have an auto anyway.

Current Cupra 290 is on 22k miles an had no issues at all and will regularly return decent mpg on longer more sedate journeys! Not done the car any harm either as 0-60 is a pretty decent 5.58 (recorded with dragy) with the car totally stock.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
I think the main thing to remember is that the engine and oil temperatures needs to be hot before hard use and don’t keep the rev’s at the same speed for long periods.
Yeah I've gathered that's the general consensus. Hence why on my digital display on the left hand side I have the component temperatures set so I can see when they are up to temp

Reactions: IanH72

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Said it on other thread but IMHO 'break-in mileage' is more to ensure that brakes are bedded-in and tires too. Is more the driver the one who needs some time to know how it feels and how reacts the car more than a engine break-in and other parts.

As said previously, take your time to bring water and oil to 90ºC and after this... be judicious with the loud pedal but not wary.

Reactions: Peyton

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
It's reassuring to know a lot of people think that in this day and age it isn't really needed. I think I will still keep sensible ish before I start hitting the redline gear after gear accelerating but nice to know the odd blip up the engine rev range won't do any harm. After all I guess the rev range needs to be explored to some extent for the engine to bed in anyway..
I did 4 x launch control starts with 10 minutes of it being delivered :devilish:

Edit: I did warm things up first, this + brakes bedding in are my checklists

Reactions: GringAddict

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
I did 4 x launch control starts with 10 minutes of it being delivered :devilish:

Hahaha. I'm saving that as a treat when I hit the 1000 mile mark. Good on you though ha, what was your experience like?

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Yeah I've gathered that's the general consensus. Hence why on my digital display on the left hand side I have the component temperatures set so I can see when they are up to temp
100%...In the golf the one constant in the digital dash is the oil temp reading 👍

Reactions: Zephyr

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021

Also due to the heat and pressure generated is there a rough time that has to pass before another launch can be activated? Or is the Formentor good at launching over and over again in short intervals?

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
100%...In the golf the one constant in the digital dash is the oil temp reading 👍

Me too. Haven't found a suitable companion of the temps for the right side... G-forces are too ricer, compass... meh! Wouldn't mind having fuel mileage or travel statistics on that place. Now remains blank.

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Also due to the heat and pressure generated is there a rough time that has to pass before another launch can be activated? Or is the Formentor good at launching over and over again in short intervals?
Lol, steady on! I think the engine management system will intervene if you do too much. If anyone has watched any of TR Hamza's content on YouTube you'll have seen this happen on his RS3 haha.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Me too. Haven't found a suitable companion of the temps for the right side... G-forces are too ricer, compass... meh! Wouldn't mind having fuel mileage or travel statistics on that place. Now remains blank.
Yeah it's a bit annoying you can't have fuel on other side. I stick with radio station out of the ones to choose from.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.