CUPRA Leon MK4 owner's register

What CUPRA Leon MK4 model do you have?

• Total voters

aholloway21

Jul 16, 2021
Looking great from the rear, not seen any on the road yet. How does it compare to the GTI?

I was amazed on the test drive just well it put down its power compared to the mk3 and 3.5.
Loved the seats too.

Already regretting not getting one...
It's got a bigger range of ability to the GTI I would say. Slackened off it's a lot more comfortable (ride), and I actually think slightly more mature. On the flip, when it's dialled in on a back road, it would leave my old GTI for dust. Turn in, steering feedback and sheer mechanical grip are on another level, but that's not to say the GTI was bad at all, it was still amazing.

The Cupra just feels extremely well set up.
I drove the Golf 8 GTI Clubsport a few days ago, and considering it's the same platform set up as the Cupra, even that didn't feel as sharp, felt mushy.

Now. The bad.
It's all software-based. The infotainment system is a bag of rubbish. It's a great screen, and the theory of how it all works is great. But it's plagued with little niggles at the moment, none of them are dealbreakers, just really annoying.
For example; changing the temp, or driver profiles while moving involves far too many button presses, it's actually dangerous. When you turn the car off, half the time it forgets various settings you had it on before you turned it off. The front assist system is stupidly sensitive, it's forever slamming on the brakes and strangling me with the seatbelt because I'm overtaking a bicycle that's got 2m of clearance on my left.
There are loads more little things like that, and they all revolve around the infotainment screen, and I'm sure they are all fixable by a software update.

In a nutshell.
Amazing hot hatch, easily in the top tier of current driver-focused hot hatches available.
Plagued with teething issues, but all rectifiable with future updates.

Am I glad I have this over my 7.5GTI, and also over the 8GTI Clubsport & M135i which were both in the running?
Absolutely.

Reactions: Firaxis

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
It's got a bigger range of ability to the GTI I would say. Slackened off it's a lot more comfortable (ride), and I actually think slightly more mature. On the flip, when it's dialled in on a back road, it would leave my old GTI for dust. Turn in, steering feedback and sheer mechanical grip are on another level, but that's not to say the GTI was bad at all, it was still amazing.

The Cupra just feels extremely well set up.
I drove the Golf 8 GTI Clubsport a few days ago, and considering it's the same platform set up as the Cupra, even that didn't feel as sharp, felt mushy.

Now. The bad.
It's all software-based. The infotainment system is a bag of rubbish. It's a great screen, and the theory of how it all works is great. But it's plagued with little niggles at the moment, none of them are dealbreakers, just really annoying.
For example; changing the temp, or driver profiles while moving involves far too many button presses, it's actually dangerous. When you turn the car off, half the time it forgets various settings you had it on before you turned it off. The front assist system is stupidly sensitive, it's forever slamming on the brakes and strangling me with the seatbelt because I'm overtaking a bicycle that's got 2m of clearance on my left.
There are loads more little things like that, and they all revolve around the infotainment screen, and I'm sure they are all fixable by a software update.

In a nutshell.
Amazing hot hatch, easily in the top tier of current driver-focused hot hatches available.
Plagued with teething issues, but all rectifiable with future updates.

Am I glad I have this over my 7.5GTI, and also over the 8GTI Clubsport & M135i which were both in the running?
Absolutely.

I agree with you on the infotainment system though. I found it a faff trying to change the driving modes on the go. Like you say a software update or 2 should address this.

I've ended up ordering the 135i simply because it was a much better deal which was for a limited time only. VWFS weren't coming close which is a shame as I've been with them 6 years.

Saying that the infotainment system on the 135i was easily controlled via voice. Does the cupra have similar voice controls?

aholloway21

Jul 16, 2021
I agree with you on the infotainment system though. I found it a faff trying to change the driving modes on the go. Like you say a software update or 2 should address this.

I've ended up ordering the 135i simply because it was a much better deal which was for a limited time only. VWFS weren't coming close which is a shame as I've been with them 6 years.

Saying that the infotainment system on the 135i was easily controlled via voice. Does the cupra have similar voice controls?
I don't think you will be disappointed at all. I tested the new m135i before I ordered the Leon. I absolutely loved it. A complete weapon point to point, and the interior on it was a step above anything else (in my opinion). For me, it just lacked the fun element and the excitement on a back road. It felt like a really strong BMW, rather than an 'M' car if that makes sense.
It was a close call though, I still see them on the road and get a bit of envy.

Yeah the cupra has voice control. I haven't actually used it yet, I'm not really one to have a conversation with my car, I prefer buttons :ROFLMAO:

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018

Typical case, I had BMW's for years because of their ridiculous discounts. I bought an M140i on PCP for like £260.00 a month and couple of thousand in, the new 128ti comes in about £3 - 4K cheaper than a VZ2 300 and whilst I think the Cupra is a better car to drive is it £3K better? Also yes the infotainment system is a bit of a joke, having the air con tied to an IPad where you have to take focus off the road to change it is just plain daft.

Due to the very short build slot (cancellation) I've been offered I am very much leaning towards the Cupra but I can't disagree it is expensive for what it is. For £3K more you could get a Kia Stinger, 361 HP RWD 3.3 TT V6 and it's faster than both, more refined than both, has a better interior than both, comes with an epic sound system and it's an absolutely hilarious car to drive (we'll just bypass the 20MPG on average and six month servicing schedule). Although if we're going down the man maths route you might as well just get an M4 competition, the Stinger is still £6K more than the BMW :D..

Tough decision, if it wasn't for the fact that I have quite a bit of equity in my M140 due to these crazy days the Cupra wouldn't be at the top of my shortlist and I'd have probably bypassed it altogether..

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Tough decision, if it wasn't for the fact that I have quite a bit of equity in my M140 due to these crazy days the Cupra wouldn't be at the top of my shortlist and I'd have probably bypassed it altogether..

Fellow M140i owner here, or should I say I was until two weeks ago. Like you, I found myself in the position where there was a lot of equity in the car, much more than I suspected and I guess I have recent events and shortages to thank for that.

Combine that with the fact I now work from home and do very little milage I reluctantly and with a tear in my eye sold the M140i, released the equity and went with a Cupra Leon for something to get me from A to B.

It's much cheaper all around, does a great job of transporting me where I need to go in relative comfort and for all its faults the infotainment system does have some advantages over my Pro-Nav but the emotion and exhilaration is lacking. That said the combination of a load of equity coming in my direction plus a silly cheap lease deal meant it was bye-bye BMW and hello Cupra.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I don't think you will be disappointed at all. I tested the new m135i before I ordered the Leon. I absolutely loved it. A complete weapon point to point, and the interior on it was a step above anything else (in my opinion). For me, it just lacked the fun element and the excitement on a back road. It felt like a really strong BMW, rather than an 'M' car if that makes sense.
It was a close call though, I still see them on the road and get a bit of envy.

Yeah the cupra has voice control. I haven't actually used it yet, I'm not really one to have a conversation with my car, I prefer buttons :ROFLMAO:
The interior on the BMW did look nice and I added the pro pack to get the sound upgrade.
The interior on the mk4 cupra looked just as nice to me though. It's just bmw uses better materials.

My current MY19 has been lovely as it had the beats sound upgrade, panroof, winterpack, oem bodykit, camera e.t.c. My heart was set on the new cupra as they've come a long way and are less common on the roads. I too had a better test drive in the cupra. The grip was outstanding for a front wheel biased car. For once I wasn't worries about all 4 wheel drive. It sounds better than the 135i.
There was a sound delete on the 135i last year. Has no character whatsoever. No overrun or upshift cracks. Correction it overruns on start up but that's it. My 2019 cupra sounds better as it's consistent with upshift cracks at red line and overrun between 4 -3k on downshifts. Otherwise it just has a low growl. Perfect compromise for me.

If a better deal came up for the cupra I'd probably try and get out of the 135i tbh (it's not being delivered until December), and that's without the skirts, sound upgrade, steering wheel + drive selection buttons and petrol blue paint (Not sure why they give us a poverty spec)

🤣I prefer buttons too, but have a go with the voice as it may compensate for the full touch panel.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Typical case, I had BMW's for years because of their ridiculous discounts. I bought an M140i on PCP for like £260.00 a month and couple of thousand in, the new 128ti comes in about £3 - 4K cheaper than a VZ2 300 and whilst I think the Cupra is a better car to drive is it £3K better? Also yes the infotainment system is a bit of a joke, having the air con tied to an IPad where you have to take focus off the road to change it is just plain daft.

Due to the very short build slot (cancellation) I've been offered I am very much leaning towards the Cupra but I can't disagree it is expensive for what it is. For £3K more you could get a Kia Stinger, 361 HP RWD 3.3 TT V6 and it's faster than both, more refined than both, has a better interior than both, comes with an epic sound system and it's an absolutely hilarious car to drive (we'll just bypass the 20MPG on average and six month servicing schedule). Although if we're going down the man maths route you might as well just get an M4 competition, the Stinger is still £6K more than the BMW :D..

That's a cracking deal on the M140.
The Cupra yes Its expensive but I haven't seen a bad review yet on the cupra. They have put some distance between the old seat leon cupra. It's actually fairing better than the GTI Clubsport.

Not seen the KIA, but i believe the Cupra Leon is one of the best in it's class, and i'm comparing it to other hot hatches with circa 300bhp and 400nm of torque even with 4 drive included.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Have just ordered a Cupra Leon 300 VZ2. in black (again) as the wheels on the VZ3 are crap looking, with the plastic bits stuck in the alloys (meant for hybrids I think). The VZ2 wheels are black and silver alloy and look much better. Not expected till Feb for delivery to me in March when hopefully winter will be over.

Ayr74

Jan 24, 2017
After a few years away, I've just ordered a Cupra Leon 2.0 245bhp V1 for February / March delivery. I've had quite a few Seats over the years, so looking forward to getting my hands on it My heart wanted the 300bhp, but my head, wallet and wife went for the 245bhp. I do less than 5k miles a year (even pre Covid) and I really couldn't justify the additional cost. Add into that, I have my very own 7 year old traffic cop in the back seat! ('Dad, what's the speed limit on this road...')

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
In case you've missed the announcement, time is running out to book for our annual meet on Sunday 3rd October. All SEAT and CUPRA models welcomed, this is a static friendly social meet with goodies for attendees. [Find out more and how to book]

Cheers

irfy8

Oct 13, 2021
have ordered a vz2 ehybrid 3 weeks ago from zen auto hopefully will be here in Dec.

Reactions: Syphon

bbglan

Jun 3, 2021
Does the VZ2 E-hybrid 245 cover the hatchback & estate ? Don't want to mess up my 1st entry on a Cupra owners register 😜

AndyRJones

Apr 28, 2021
Hi all, I've added my name to the list above, namely a Cupra Leon VZ2 e-Hybrid 245 which was delivered yesterday.

Like a lot of people, my working life changed dramatically overnight in March 2020 and my pride and joy, M140i LC2, has spent most of that time sitting in the garage doing very little. When I did take it out of the garage it was to visit the local village shops or nearest town about 6 miles away which wasn't very fuel-efficient and I only got to take spirited drives every now and again.

When it came towards the end of the contract I could have kept it but I've decided to cash in on the positive equity in the car and opt for a change. It seemed a shame keep it, now it's out warranty, to spend 90% of its life popping to the shops and the petrol stations so tomorrow will be a sad day when it departs.

However, I decided to go for the Leon e-Hybrid for several reasons; in no small part the great lease deal I got it for and the fact that I can achieve 90% of my journeys in electric mode with the ICE there to compliment it for the occasional longer journey.

It's a great step forward in terms of driver features and technology in the car so the last 24 hours have been spent setting up my account, activating Cupra Connect and so on. I do have one question, however - Internet Radio... Despite activating everything, performing a system update, having access to the store and other 'internet related' features whenever I switch the music source to Internet Radio it just sits on "Loading".. Is this common? Maybe sitting on my driveway between two houses isn't the best place to test this feature?!?

Anyway, I hope to contribute and if anyone has any e-Hybrid related questions I'll do what I can to help.
Would love to know your thoughts after a few months ownership … economy performance issues etc etc

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Would love to know your thoughts after a few months ownership … economy performance issues etc etc

Hi mate,

I've now done 2281 miles and averaged 66mpg but I wouldn't take that as indicative of the car as I'm sure other eHybrid owners will have got much better results. For trips to the local shops, I've been using electric-only but I'm guilty of using hybrid mode a lot more than needed.

Performance is subjective to the individual, but for me, it's "ok". Once in the right mode, it's not too bad but I came into ownership adjusting my expectations from previous cars I've owned.

The only "issue(s)" as such is the infotainment system - it sucks! I've spent the best part of a week locked out of my account and had to drive around in "guest mode", the screen has periodically gone blank, it's frozen numerous times, the temperature controls seem to work when they feel like it and every single time I get in the vehicle it shows me the same notifications that simply won't go away (regardless of how many times I press "delete" and "delete all")

Ultimately it's a tool for me. Something relatively cheap to own, cheap to insure and cheap to run so I guess issues aside it ticks those boxes.

AndyRJones

Apr 28, 2021
Hi mate,

I've now done 2281 miles and averaged 66mpg but I wouldn't take that as indicative of the car as I'm sure other eHybrid owners will have got much better results. For trips to the local shops, I've been using electric-only but I'm guilty of using hybrid mode a lot more than needed.

Performance is subjective to the individual, but for me, it's "ok". Once in the right mode, it's not too bad but I came into ownership adjusting my expectations from previous cars I've owned.

The only "issue(s)" as such is the infotainment system - it sucks! I've spent the best part of a week locked out of my account and had to drive around in "guest mode", the screen has periodically gone blank, it's frozen numerous times, the temperature controls seem to work when they feel like it and every single time I get in the vehicle it shows me the same notifications that simply won't go away (regardless of how many times I press "delete" and "delete all")

Ultimately it's a tool for me. Something relatively cheap to own, cheap to insure and cheap to run so I guess issues aside it ticks those boxes.
Thanks for this … I get my cupra Leon hybrid in a few weeks ….

my mrs has a formentor so I am all too familiar with the bugs and infotainment. She’s had the car since March this year and I still don’t understand how it works and the error messages !?!?

question … I am coming from simply a mk3.5 seat Leon 1.4 150 petrol dsg … how do you think I will find the performance??

you sound similar to me I’ll use electric if I’m pootling along in traffic and local shop runs but I will be in hybrid 90% of the time as I’ll always want the both engines to be working for me.

does the car get looks and people pointing. The formentor it feels you can’t drive to the shops without someone taking a picture / pointing or asking you about it

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
I am coming from simply a mk3.5 seat Leon 1.4 150 petrol dsg … how do you think I will find the performance??

does the car get looks and people pointing. The formentor it feels you can’t drive to the shops without someone taking a picture / pointing or asking you about it

Hard for me to say really. I guess you'll enjoy the performance over the 150 and it's not a "slow" car by any means (it's just different to cars I'm previously owned which is no fault of the car itself)

It does get some looks. I'm not sure that's due to the aesthetics and I don't consider it a good looking card per se, but the Cupra brand and badge is still relatively new so that gets some odd looks and when I'm driving in electric-only mode quite a few people point and stare.

Dizz

Apr 12, 2019
Got a red 300 VZ3 on order to replace a red 2019 290. Expected March, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.