Cupra previews new Tavascan EV Concept

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Cupra Tavascan | Frankfurt 2019

Well, at least there's no danger of this looking like a rebadged SEAT...

3.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Cupra's ambition as a "unique and special car brand" is nothing if not bold: following on from the Ateca SUV and the 600hp Cupra e-Racer, it will launch three models next year, all electrified. One of those will be the Formentor PHEV seen earlier in 2019, one an as-yet-unannounced hybrid and the third will be this, the all-electric Tavascan - just revealed at Frankfurt.

Named after a village in the Pyrenees, the Tavascan taps into that coupe SUV niche that seemingly knows no bounds in terms of success right now. Indeed Cupra believes that the all-electric coupe SUV sector - yes, that really is a thing - will grow by 15 per cent a year in the 2020s. So best get used to them.

The Tavascan is built on VW's MEB electric architecture, using a 77kWh battery pack to supply a pair of electric motors - one for each axle. Peak output is a claimed 306hp, sufficient for 0-62mph in less than 6.5 seconds. Perhaps more relevantly, Cupra is claiming a range of 450km, or 280 miles, on the WLTP test.

A "truly dynamic drive" is promised for the Tavascan because the battery pack is in the floor, as well as "a level of sophistication and emotion not yet seen in the market." Though not confirmed, we'd have to assume that's electric torque vectoring on both axles.

For now, Cupra is far keen to talk about the dramatic exterior of the Tavascan. While it would be a surprise to see the 22-inch wheels make production, the rest of the car doesn't look all that far from showroom-ready. The sloping rear end is familiar from many other SUVs of its ilk, though the Tavascan is in no danger of being mistaken for anything else. Its makers state that the car brings "muscularity and dynamism to the segment", drawing attention to the cooling vents at the front, a full-width rear light bar (because it wouldn't be 2019 without one) and the diffuser.

Note too the interior's relatively subdued look (for a concept, at least), further hinting at how close the Tavascan is to production - dominated by a large central screen, Cupra says the cabin is a "space that mixes material and technological concepts with openness and focus to create a cabin that provides the perfect balance between driver orientation and passenger comfort." Right.

Following the Tavascan's world debut, sale are due to begin in 2020. And be prepared, it would seem, for many more electric SUV coupes to follow...

Source

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Plastic backed front seats are back in :D

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Was a lot lower and sleeker looking in the Autocar pictures!

I am sure I read the Cupra logo at the front glows at night so that would explain why it is white and not copper.

Reactions: kanyewest

Deleted member 103408

@Jimbobcook just noticed those seats look very similar to your nice MK2 Ones, just with carbon wrap on :)

Don't like the copper on the wheels.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Its interesting, from the show the chief executive Luca De Meo talks about the possible future of CUPRA as a brand and how basically they cannot step on the groups toes and are slightly suppressed by the larger brothers in terms of producing fiery hot hatches etc. This more implies towards the Ibiza Cupra but leaves the Leon Cupra as we know it open to possible hybrid powertrains.

He does end saying they arn't that focused as SEAT/CUPRA on electrifying everything currently, but is in works..

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/frankfurt-motor-show-2019-demise-154100251.html

Deleted member 103408

Its interesting, from the show the chief executive Luca De Meo talks about the possible future of CUPRA as a brand and how basically they cannot step on the groups toes and are slightly suppressed by the larger brothers in terms of producing fiery hot hatches etc. This more implies towards the Ibiza Cupra but leaves the Leon Cupra as we know it open to possible hybrid powertrains.

He does end saying they arn't that focused as SEAT/CUPRA on electrifying everything currently, but is in works..

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/frankfurt-motor-show-2019-demise-154100251.html

I was talking to my local VAG Garage couple months ago and they also think that VW Are looking at the Polo (which is getting bigger by the release) and wondering if they will keep it in production.

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I was talking to my local VAG Garage couple months ago and they also think that VW Are looking at the Polo (which is getting bigger by the release) and wondering if they will keep it in production.

It does seem odd that a car one seen as 'small' is currently not far off the golf. I have seen somewhere that internal rear space from knees to driver seat in a 4 door polo is only 2 inches more.. (not about the length bla bla bla)

A friend of mine who also worked in different VAG outfits said same as you. And I do believe Audi have dropped the S1 from their line up? This echos the SEAT CEO talking about need for these hot small cars. But then we have Fiesta ST's selling like hot cakes?

I guess more so now then ever consumer drive and environmentalists are shaping the car industry quite harshly, just look at the SUV explosion over the last few years and how common a hybrid/elec car is!

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
That is one ugly looking car. SEAT need to use the underpinnings in a smaller nice looking hatch and they'll be onto a winner.
If the automotive industry is serious about going green then why the surge of over sized, over weight, non aero shaped cars? SUV's are the current fashion but are worse for emissions than a smaller lighter more aero car yet everyone seems to love them, it amazes me.

Reactions: Peller

Deleted member 103408

Based on a chat I had with a guy from Jaguar its because the biggest car market's are in China and the US and both those markets like Big Cars, So European companies appear to be building bigger and bigger cars.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members