Cupra R ABT retrofit - is it possible.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
I appreciate there may be better tunes out there but for originality is it possible to purchase and retrofit the ABT box to a Cupra R ST that wasn't originally sped'd with it.

My local dealer who are pretty good have mixed messages from SEAT UK. One minute yes, next enquiry no.

So would be interested if anyone has managed it, or indeed if they work for SEAT and can sort me out.

I'm currently looking for an R ST and am ignoring the non-ABT versions. But if I can retrofit, it obviously opens up more choice.

Thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
It was only retrofittable at time of order or if less than 1,000 miles. But in theory it had to be ordered (and keep the warranty) from the start.

That being said, in theory you can get it elsewhere, its just its £2,000 and backed by a third party insurance not Seat Warranty. So as pay £2,000 for 340hp for 1 hard lap and lose your warranty, you may as well pay £600 for a Revo tune and still have a safe 370hp. I say "safe" as I've said elsewhere, no tune is ever 100% safe, but the likes of Revo and Racingline's "Off the shelf" tunes are designed to be safer than say a peak numbers map even for the best of tuners.

Reactions: JCB360

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
I wonder if there are any ABT tuning modules on shelves in garages where owners have stripped them out and gone Revo.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I wonder if there are any ABT tuning modules on shelves in garages where owners have stripped them out and gone Revo.
They're coded to the car so can't just be swapped out.

However I'm sure someone on one of the facebook groups gave his away and the other person took it to the UK distributer of ABT and had it reprogrammed for a reduced cost.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I know at least 4 inc myself 😂

As already said they are locked to the cars Vin so can’t be reused, but apparently you can have it reprogrammed by ABT

However that would be kinda pointless,
It would still probably cost more than a real stage 1 remap, and be less effective.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
I know at least 4 inc myself 😂

As already said they are locked to the cars Vin so can’t be reused, but apparently you can have it reprogrammed by ABT

However that would be kinda pointless,
It would still probably cost more than a real stage 1 remap, and be less effective.
Would any of these 4 be available. Just bought myself a non ABT Cupra R and would like an ABT box to complete the package. Have money waiting

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’ve got mine still, but I’d check with Richter motorsport how much it would be to get reprogrammed first if I were you.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
I’ve got mine still, but I’d check with Richter motorsport how much it would be to get reprogrammed first if I were you.
Thanks for the reply. So are you offering it to me to purchase. Thanks for the tip about Richter. I was going to give Letchworth SEAT a call as I'm sure they would of fitted a few originally.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Richter Motorsport are the ABT dealers in the UK.
They are the only people who can help re-programme the unit for your car in the UK.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks for the reply. So are you offering it to me to purchase. Thanks for the tip about Richter. I was going to give Letchworth SEAT a call as I'm sure they would of fitted a few originally.
Might be worth checking out the insurance costs too; finding reasonably priced insurance cover might be difficult. Post #6 in the discussion thread at the link below suggests many insurers may decline to quote, and those that do could be expensive.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Might be worth checking out the insurance costs too; finding reasonably priced insurance cover might be difficult. Post #6 in the discussion thread at the link below suggests many insurers may decline to quote, and those that do could be expensive.

I've has modified insurance for about 15 years so shouldn't be an issue

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Richter Motorsport are the ABT dealers in the UK.
They are the only people who can help re-programme the unit for your car in the UK.
Do they need the car or can they just code the module ?
Need to check where they are from hear in Sussex

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
You’ll have no issues with insurance don’t worry about that.

Richter are in Milton Keynes.

The module would be for sale yes, but I’d only sell it if it could be used by someone.

Only Richter in the UK can reprogramme this for you, it’s nothing to do with Seat.
They won’t need your car, only your Vin.

In fact when these modules were installed by Seat the process was, Seat send the cars Vin to Richter, Richter programme the module to that Vin and send to Seat, Seat install in the car and the happy owner of the car goes and picks up their new car.

In your case, if Richter will reprogramme it for you, you’ll send them the module, they’ll do it and send it back (unless u take it and get them to install) and you can install yourself.
Or pay someone to install it.

But it’s not hard. I’ve got a full instruction manual.

Either way your first port of call is to ring Richter…. I wouldn’t bother emailing them they are SLOW

Last edited:

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008

The module would be for sale yes, but I’d only sell it if it could be used by someone.

Only Richter in the UK can reprogramme this for you, it’s nothing to do with Seat.

In fact when these modules were installed by Seat the process was, Seat send the cars Vin to Richter, Richter programme the module to that Vin and send to Seat, Seat install in the car and the happy owner of the car goes and picks up their new car.

In your case, if Richter will reprogramme it for you, you’ll send them the module, they’ll do it and send it back (unless u take it and get them to install) and you can install yourself.

Either way your first port of call is to ring Richter…. I wouldn’t bother emailing them they are SLOW
Thanks mate. Can I have first dibbs on it. I'll call Richter in the week

Reactions: Slickric21

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008

Do you know what standard boost pressure is on the ST R without ABT.
Thought I'd better check it isn't tuned with my Torque Pro dingle before I dive into fitting an ABT

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Spoke to ABT today. They don't offer a recoding service because they had issues with owners sending in damaged units or units without all the cables and hence could not access them.

Due to the SEAT contract now expiring they can now offer the tuning box to any owner of an ST 300 direct, for £1340 +vat.

Reactions: Slickric21
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise