MIB1 Android auto/Apple Carplay retrofit

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
Yeah I left the battery on.

I had always hoped the mib2 units would become more affordable, basically any mod I do has to be worth it. So the only function I would make use of was apple play but since I can just put my phone in a holder it wasn’t worth the 300+ to upgrade. £150 tho? Right up my street especially when it’s an easy install. 😂

I had a similar cost-conundrum - I would have preferred the 8 inch screen, but Ebay salvage are asking loads (usually at least £300) for what is just a mostly dumb screen (the brains is the head unit in the glove box!). In the end went for the much cheaper 6.5inch screen - can upgrade in a few years when hopefully the silly 8inch prices drop.

Reactions: redone

Tell

Staff member
Indeed. But if you are just pulling out the lead of the back of a mib1, should be fine. Just a plug. A retrofitter had my mib2 high in and out like a yoyo, into the his house, on the bench, back, about three times. Just pulled the plug out. Their failure to program it correctly was the issue not live unplugging it. We've done it to the partners when something fell in the CD slot and I broke seals and opened it up :eek:. No issues.

Reactions: redone and stu_m

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Agree, if you only pully the plugs out the back of mib1 should be fine - but most workshop manuals will tell you to disconnect the battery before carrying out work on the electrical system.
If you take out and disconnect the glove box for example you need to disconnect the battery other wise you will trigger a fault code.

Tell

Staff member
Agree, if you only pully the plugs out the back of mib1 should be fine - but most workshop manuals will tell you to disconnect the battery before carrying out work on the electrical system.
If you take out and disconnect the glove box for example you need to disconnect the battery other wise you will trigger a fault code.
Problem today is the folding mirrors so you have to retrain them if you disconnect the power and windows controls go out. If its some minor thing where you aren't going to disconnect the air bags. Disconnecting the air bags is power off else you have to clear the error code. If you are likely to short circuit something power off. But for removing a mib unit is fine, if it's plugs and sockets... anything more disconnect the battery but then it's retraining the mirrors and windows after. The classic one is people putting in cameras and disconnecting the air bag to bury the lead without disconnecting the battery, that's disconnect the battery else you are recoding for the air bag warning.

Because we didn't want the hassle did it how the mib2 retrofitters do it. Keys, slide forward, fingers round the back and remove the plug via the leaver gadget thing as I remember. Moral behind it if you got an Arona you can't see where the SD slot from the seat. Changing SD cards you do by touch. You find the slot and run your finger across to find the second slot then all is good 🤣. My name was muck after I had the accident. Ateca and suspect the Leon you can see the slots 😐.

Reactions: SuperV8

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
Awesome video @ray! I may have to invest in one of those. I have a question though; does the parking sensors screen overlay the Apple CarPlay screen when you go to park? Also, what happens when you press the Cupra button on the dash, does it still bring up the drive profile selection or do you have to exit the CarPlay first?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise