Cupra R H3 HID front Foglights mini guide

leoncupra2012

Mar 7, 2012
Some of you may hate HID lights, and all the there illegal blah de blah that comes with them, but its all down to personal choice, and i fitted some in mine yesterday to replace the manky yellow looking bulbs.

You will need;

H3 HID Kit
Crimping Tool
Wire Cutters
Cordless Drill/Holesaw bit
Torx Screwdriver
Cable ties
2 Spade Connectors

First i purchased this kit -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330646579229?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Then basically its a case of removing the foglight units completely from the bumper.

Put your fingers into the holes on the grilles and simply gently but forcefully pull outwards, they will pop off as they unclip.

Now look at the foglights, you will see on the top of them, two brass looking TORX bolt screws, undo these, and then with a slight jiggle the foglight will come out, be careful here as as you look at each fog, theyve got a black plastic lug which hooks into the side of the bumper ( you will see what i mean when you get it out )

You then need to unclip the wiring from the unit so it becomes free, then look at the back of the housing and you will see two + screws, remove these, you now have access to the bulb.

Fun starts here, remove the old bulb, and gently replace with the HID bulb, as the picture below shows -

2hhgo5w.jpg

You may have already, or well you would have now, ( i didnt ) realise that the HID bulb protrudes further out of the back of the unit than the original bulb did, this is where you need to modify the back cover, using a hole saw bit on a cordless drill, i cant remember what size but the hole saw bit should be around 2 pound coin size in diameter, there is a small round indentation on the cover, so use that at your centre line and drill into the cover.

99zxy0.jpg

Before you can refit the cover, there is a brownish colour wired attached to the unit by a round brass connection, you need to cut this connection off, and change it to a spade connecter type, the HID kit is plug and play, all you need to do is connect a positive and a negative. So remove the old connection and fit a spade, and then connect this wire to the RED wire (which also comes with the spade fitted) as below

addftf.jpg

You can then gently refit the cover, allowing the small part of the bulb to protrude out the back of the cover, aswell as gently feeding the wires through past the bulb. The kit comes with a grommet which once the cover is refitted you can put over the hole to seal it.

nlu1bs.jpg

2yy8nwp.jpg

Connect the wires up to the ballast, again self explanitory and plug and play, then what i did was cable tie the ballast up behind the bumper, on the passenger side you can cable tie it to the horn bracket, on the drivers, there is a bracket, couple of clips and a little bar thing you can cable tie it to, that kit in the link comes with brackets so you can either cable tie it on or screw it on somewhere to the car.

Refit foglights and grilles as you did to remove them.

Before

2i1nrif.jpg

After

b7djkm.jpg

Reactions: Roohul and gdjohny
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members