How to replace the high level brake light in the spoiler (Guide)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I've just had to replace the spoiler mounted brake light, so I thought i'd do a 'How To' for anyone needing to replace theirs. There doesn't seem to be any aftermarket versions that I could find, so you'll need to find a 2nd hand one or maybe try the main dealers.

Step 1: Removing the spoiler
--------------------------------
There are 3 nuts and a couple of plastic clips that hold the spoiler to the car. Open the boot and remove the 3x 8mm nuts. There is one at either end under the black rubber covers, and another located in the middle underneath the plastic trim that surrounds the window. The trim is just clipped on but it's very tight and requires some force to remove. Once the 3 nuts are off then the spoiler is only held on by a couple of plastic clips and the wiring connector. Gently pull the wiring out of the hole with the rubber bung, and then unplug the connector by pressing the catch as you pull it apart. With that removed simply tap or pull the spolier upwards and it should come free of the plastic clips easily enough.

Step 2: Removing the light from the spoiler
-----------------------------------------------

With the spolier removed there are 2 bits of plastic tape on the underneath of it, pulling these back reveals 2 phillips screws holding the light to the spoiler. One of mine came out easily, but the second one was just spinning in the rusty thread and i ended up having to drill it out. With the screws removed, use a screwdriver to reach in through the same holes and gently tap the brake light out, it's not bonded in but it does require a couple of taps to free it from the seal. Refitting is just the reverse of removal.

Reactions: Pabs and Nam-uk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I want a full RGB version lol
Lol, i'm going to open up the old one and see if it's possible to retrofit a strip of modern addressable ones, just so i have a spare if something happens to this one. I'm pretty sure it was the automatic car wash that killed it, it was the first time i'd been through one for years, and the next day noticed that the brake light wasn't working.

I may eventually get round to fiting some RGB leds in the interior as well. I'd quite like to put some under the dash and wire them into the existing lights so that they illuminate the footwells the same shade of red as the existing dash lights

Reactions: Nam-uk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Wow, just looked up the prices of a new one with the part number you posted. £120 for a new one!! Glad i had a secondhand one laying about

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Lol, i'm going to open up the old one and see if it's possible to retrofit a strip of modern addressable ones, just so i have a spare if something happens to this one. I'm pretty sure it was the automatic car wash that killed it, it was the first time i'd been through one for years, and the next day noticed that the brake light wasn't working.

I may eventually get round to fiting some RGB leds in the interior as well. I'd quite like to put some under the dash and wire them into the existing lights so that they illuminate the footwells the same shade of red as the existing dash lights
You want it like night rider but at rear lol , they do look a pain to get off you don’t see many that fail though like you say it may of been the car wash could of broke the the light or board inside solders.

Reactions: mty12345