Cupra R Intercoolers

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
So, I have a couple of ways I can go with my PD150 track/occasional road car.

One is an FMIC with the Cupra R bumper. Advantage being shorter pipe run, disadvantage being it'll take a fair bit of work and moving things about to get the aero working nice.

The other is to use the stock Cupra R twin side mount intercoolers with the Cupra bumper. Advantage being it's cheap and I can work the aero easier, disadvantage being a longer pipe run and probably a bit of weight.

My question is, can the Cupra R side mounts work well enough on a TDI running at about 220bhp?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I know the LCR twin side mounts are the cheapest and easiest option but in all honesty they're shite and don't come anywhere close to matching a decent FMIC set up.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
The standard SMIC's have nowhere to vent to and nor will they hold high boost (and being made of plastic versus age not sure how reliable they would be).
I have seen people cutout the inner arch to vent them but they still wont flow well.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
The standard SMIC's have nowhere to vent to and nor will they hold high boost (and being made of plastic versus age not sure how reliable they would be).
I have seen people cutout the inner arch to vent them but they still wont flow well.
Yeah, venting into the wheel well can be a bad idea (high pressure zone), I was thinking of going Porsche style and venting downwards, means a lower pressure region and also gives a reduction in drag.

Reliability... hmm, good point. Something to bear in mind, although aftermarkarket has this covered (at a push)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise