• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now

NLCupraLeonHybrid

Active Member
Sep 20, 2021
28
13
I have the Sennheiser system in my Leon, which sounds really great. The only thing I think is missing is the subwoofer. It's too small in the back.

In my 2021 Cupra Leon, I had the ARS Stuttgart side subwoofer. A beautiful custom-made box.

I suspect it can't be connected, but I'd like to see the DSP specifications.

Can anyone find the specifications for this system? What type of DSP amplifier and how much power it outputs per channel?

I'm also curious about the impedance of the small subwoofer (2 or 4 ohms) and how many watts it can handle.

Perhaps I can replace the small subwoofer with one from Option+.
 

Attachments

  • WhatsApp Image 2026-01-15 at 09.57.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2026-01-15 at 09.57.57.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 486
  • WhatsApp Image 2026-01-15 at 09.58.59.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2026-01-15 at 09.58.59.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 285
I must admit I am very underwelmed with the Sennheiser in my Leon , sounds ok when streaming with Spotify and stuff but the Radio is terrible compared to my previous G42 m240i Harmon/Kardon system
 
I simply chucked this in:
The stock sub is laughable. In my old Cupra I had an old 150 euro Conrad ''Raveland'' 12'' sub. But after 15 years/5 cars use I thought I'd buy smth new.

The audio is very unbalanced imo, there is some kind of DSP limiting on the stock Sennheiser Amp. 25-50% volume the sub is excessive, 50-75% volume the sub gets in the background and 75-100% volume the sub turns up again (I have the Hifonics sub parellel to the original sub). Luckily I have a volume adjust knob in the front with this sub as I keep setting different subwoofer levels for different songs.

I feel the highs also sound a bit harsh.

In my 2021 model I had the stock (6 speaker) audio, which was a step back from the 2016 model Leon (non Seat audio, just the stock 8 speaker version).
The 2025 model Leon with Sennheiser is a little bit better than the 2021 stock audio, but not by too much tbh imo.
 

Attachments

  • 740fefbc-ab73-4595-b729-0745d4d50f40.jpeg
    740fefbc-ab73-4595-b729-0745d4d50f40.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 55
  • Like
Reactions: Tara and Syphon
I got my Cupra Leon with Sennheiser on saturday. I listen to Spotify Premium. The treble is terrible! I have turned down the high and high mid on the equalizer to minus 9, but it still is too much.
 
I got my Cupra Leon with Sennheiser on saturday. I listen to Spotify Premium. The treble is terrible! I have turned down the high and high mid on the equalizer to minus 9, but it still is too much.
I understand and have the same 'problem', the highs and high mids are too excessive.
I have both on -3 I think now. With my own subwoofer I have the 'sub' on -3 or 4 in the Senn HU aswell. But I have a separate subwoofer level knob from my sub now which I boost for EDM/Dub/DnB songs or put on 40-50% for all other genres.

They did not tune this system nicely.

My main problem is the Sennheiser mid speakers that are extra in the front doors, the speaker covers resonate at certain frequencies at anything over 50% volume. I will mod them to stay silent. I don't mind some resonation on the lows, but the mids, ughhh...

I usually like a dynamic ''V'' shaped freq response but in this car, the highs sound too tinny or harsh. I feel they have not really tuned this for high volumes. The stock sub is nice for rock and pop ish songs but really poor on anything bass heavy, especially hiphop, they do some DSP limiting at various frequencies, I am glad have put my own subwoofer in.

But coming from the 6 speaker system in the 2021 Cupra Leon model, it is still an improvement imo. The old Leon did simply not go loud enough, now it goes loud but unbalanced, but acceptable with some finetuning in the EQ and my own sub
 
Last edited:
I understand and have the same 'problem', the highs and high mids are too excessive.
I have both on -3 I think now. With my own subwoofer I have the 'sub' on -3 or 4 in the Senn HU aswell. But I have a separate subwoofer level knob from my sub now which I boost for EDM/Dub/DnB songs or put on 40-50% for all other genres.

They did not tune this system nicely.

My main problem is the Sennheiser mid speakers that are extra in the front doors, the speaker covers resonate at certain frequencies at anything over 50% volume. I will mod them to stay silent. I don't mind some resonation on the lows, but the mids, ughhh...

I usually like a dynamic ''V'' shaped freq response but in this car, the highs sound too tinny or harsh. I feel they have not really tuned this for high volumes. The stock sub is nice for rock and pop ish songs but really poor on anything bass heavy, especially hiphop, they do some DSP limiting at various frequencies, I am glad have put my own subwoofer in.

But coming from the 6 speaker system in the 2021 Cupra Leon model, it is still an improvement imo. The old Leon did simply not go loud enough, now it goes loud but unbalanced, but acceptable with some finetuning in the EQ and my own sub
What subwoofer (mark and model) do you have and where do you have it? How is it installed?
 
What subwoofer (mark and model) do you have and where do you have it? How is it installed?
Hifonics TFA250R. Cheap 2x10'' sub.

I use the hi inputs from the stock sub, the stock sub is a dual coil sub.so I use one coil as left input and one coil as right input, I have the hi-level inputs in parrallel to the stock sub, so the stock sub is still functional as well.
Power is a breeze aswell as the battery is under the boot floor.
High level input turns it on, no remote cable.
 
Last edited:
Hifonics TFA250R. Cheap 2x10'' sub.

I use the hi inputs from the stock sub, the stock sub is a dual coil sub.so I use one coil as left input and one coil as right input, I have the hi-level inputs in parrallel to the stock sub, so the stock sub is still functional as well.
Power is a breeze aswell as the battery is under the boot floor.
High level input turns it on, no remote cable.
Thank You! So you have the Hifonics in the trunk? I need the space in the trunk, so I would go with a under seat sub in that case. Do you know if that would be diffucult to install?
 
Last edited: