Cupra v Golf R

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Test drove the golf R alongside the Cupra 300 (which I ended up buying)

The only real advantage I saw with the R was the 4wd launch, if you are a traffic light 1/4 mile racer the R is better. but for the driving experience I found the Cupra a little more involved and allowed you to get closer to death before stepping in. Its kinda like if you are stood at a cliff edge, you have two types of mates. One will ask you gently to step back to be careful, the other will grab you suddenly and shout "saved you life" scaring the bejesus out of you.. The cupra is the second one..

Also I thought the sound system is better in the seat, which for me is just as important as the driving.

A colleague of mine has the R and is now selling it after 18 months as he finds it just a bit too nanny state and dull, he is now looking at the cupra or the new slightly less ugly Type-R

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Test drove the golf R alongside the Cupra 300 (which I ended up buying)

The only real advantage I saw with the R was the 4wd launch, if you are a traffic light 1/4 mile racer the R is better. but for the driving experience I found the Cupra a little more involved and allowed you to get closer to death before stepping in. Its kinda like if you are stood at a cliff edge, you have two types of mates. One will ask you gently to step back to be careful, the other will grab you suddenly and shout "saved you life" scaring the bejesus out of you.. The cupra is the second one..

Also I thought the sound system is better in the seat, which for me is just as important as the driving.

A colleague of mine has the R and is now selling it after 18 months as he finds it just a bit too nanny state and dull, he is now looking at the cupra or the new slightly less ugly Type-R

Pretty much exactly why I ended up with a 300 and not an R

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales
I had a Cupra 300 for 6 months was offered a fantastic deal on a golf r so swapped but I’m back in a Cupra 300 after 6 months in the r.

Golf r was too well mannered, to controlled and felt too planted in every situation.

Found it very boring if I’m honest compared to the Cupra which can be mental with 300 at the front wheels.

Golf also felt very heavy in comparison and less nimble because of its weight.

Only thing I miss is the Adaptive cruise control and slightly cheaper insurance!

Oh and the 4 tailpipes!

And the residuals

Lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise