Cupra v K1 v R

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Hi all. We are hoping to sell our second car (Polo BlueGT) and I am looking for something fun to replace it with. I am looking at the Mk2 Leon, but am a little bit confused between the "normal" Cupra, the Cupra K1 and the Cupra R. The Cupra & K1 appear to have same power figures, so what's actually the difference between the two cars? I can see that the Cupra R is more powerful (im assuming Mk6 Golf R engine), but otherwise what are the differences between the models? Do they all have cambelt (not chain)? When I looked before there were a lot on autotrader but very few knocking around at the moment. I'm mostly leaning towards a Mk5 Golf R32, but they're also very rare so wouldn't mind a backup plan. Anything with 5 doors basically! Thanks

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Seat's in general haven't exploded in price like many other marques have, but the Cupra is more sought after than most.
You can also get the FR model with the 2.0 TFSI/TSI engine, it's the Seat equivalent to the Golf GTI.

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
My heart lies with the Mk4 R32, but we need a 5dr with Isofix for the child seat, so leaning towards the Mk5 which aren't too expensive (because of £600 road tax). Have absolutely no objection to a Mk2 Leon, as ever proving much better value than the 2.0 golf counterparts.

Ghostface

Feb 26, 2020
Hi, the K1 is a limited edition version you could say, it has the Btcc body kit and remus center exhaust, they are pre facelift. They tend to cost more because of the "rarity" as they only got produced for a few years but alot of people installed the body kit etc and made the K1 from a standard cupra so whether or not the K1 is factory or retrofit is unknown.
Facelift cupra has slightly better interior and white cluster it also has improved engine parts too which the engine code is CDL same as the S3.
The R has leather seats, badges, twin exhaust, 19" alloys, and a different engine cover to the cupra and has 20hp more but a remap will make them all the same anyway
Maybe a few more differences I missed but I wouldn't say major differences. I'd say go for a facelift or an R even though the K1 does look ace.
They are cambelt driven but they also have a cam chain too (which are known to have a crap chain tensioner unless replaced with the revised partl

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
The K1 is the best one for me personally. However I think the cupra r is the best spec car due to the leather seats and updated lights and things. The R has the CDL S3 engine twin exhausts led rear lights face lifted front and rear bumpers and boot lid.
It has a better mdf display and is just round the best very of the cupra mk2 as a whole.
But the one to have for me if I had the money would be the K1 with the btcc body factory fitted with centre exhaust.

Last edited:

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
I'd for for the turbo TFSI over the R32, better tuning potential and fuel economy but it won't sound as good.

I went for the facelift Cupra, personally don't like the K1 and don't like the seats in the R. The facelift version still looks good inside and modern enough. Iv 3 kids and we can all fit in the car to enjoy the boost

I think there are mainly 2 types of car guys, ones who like looks/attention and those who like power. I'm in the second camp, car is currently stage 1 and am collecting the parts for stage 2+.
fdd66d4d6e8edf54e0ab3c1bd39e77e3.jpg
62256f49d9723ce7a6b7086c15132321.jpg

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Reactions: Benmk2cupra

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
So we'll still have the Cupra Ateca, so I'm not power chasing at all. I've had a mk6 GTI and a mk7 Golf R. So I want something a bit different, which the likes of the K1 definitely fall into. Also not worried about fuel economy as car might only do 2-3k a year (depending how much I like driving it).

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
So we'll still have the Cupra Ateca, so I'm not power chasing at all. I've had a mk6 GTI and a mk7 Golf R. So I want something a bit different, which the likes of the K1 definitely fall into. Also not worried about fuel economy as car might only do 2-3k a year (depending how much I like driving it).
A K1 will hold its a value more if day due to how rare they are too. I really should take my own advise and buy a K1 with the amount of money I’ve spent on my car I could have brought a clean K1 but then I wouldn’t want to ruin it on track so a basic cupra is fine for me.

Ghostface

Feb 26, 2020
Could always get a cupra and put the meduza btcc kit on, get any exhaust you want make yourself a facelift K1 if money isn't an issue. Also there's not much way of finding out if you have an authentic factory K1 or some blokes retrofit. People had to contact seat direct with car info to find out if theirs was factory or not from what I've read in the past.

Reactions: Mike the_cupra
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members