Cupra vs Cupra R

Neil01Cupra

I have the 01 cupra lc it has all the goodies full black leather interior all electrics a/c and eps as standard. I changed suspension and have 18" alloys and soon give remapped so hot on the tails of the LCR gang!! Lol

Either car would be a great buy yeh the LCR higher engine power and brakes bigger but my LC has never missed a beat.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Important to remember that 2000 t sport/cupras were APP? engine based and had no VVT and the less powerful K03 turbo.
You ideally want the AUQ engined version which I believe came out in very late 2000 early 2001 which had the K03S turbo and VVT , if you can find one with the leather and the toys its a lovely motor and very modable.

APP engined cars are more limited in the modding sense.

bkingb

Apr 29, 2012
kent
lc are good value at the moment as the lcr are still a bit expensive and insurance prob is more

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Smaller hatchbacks with performance engines are often more to insure than larger cars (sometimes with the same or even larger engines). It's due to the general type of people that drive them, with smaller cars being prefered by your boy racer types (i.e. more likely to crash). My old Fiesta 1.2 Zetec was not much less to insure than my LC despite the Leon having more than twice the power.

chrispyvrs

Dec 25, 2012
Guys,

Thanks very much for all your replies especially andycupra. Been a fantastic read.

Budget isnt too much of a concern at the moment, as I want to sell/p/x my fabia vRS but it depends on when that does go, although to save money thats why I was considering a Cupra rather than the R as I found a nice red example the other day for basically half the price so my eyes lit up a little. :blink:

As I said I test drove the LCR, loved it, loved the power etc and the suspension felt better than on my fabia on coilovers, although the steering did feel rather heavy, thinking that it was due to the 18" alloys?

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Red car = +10bhp for starters!

The steering on my LC feels quite heavy compared to other cars I have driven so maybe its just a Leon thing?

Richy Cupra

Fully paid member
Jul 6, 2011
Essex
the original cupras, around 2000 had ESP as standard, but also leather electric memory seats, auto dimming mirror, reverse gear dipping wing mirror, cruise, auto changer, radio display in dash display.
basically at this time the 'cupra' didnt exist, but in the UK seat took the sport model, threw options at it and sold it as an £18,000 'cupra', a sort of UK rebadging exercise. (thats £18,000 in 2000 so was a pricey car).

then a little while later they dropped the sport and the cupra proper was adopted by seat. however it was nearer to the sport spec than the original cupra, price reduced as a result no leather seats etc other than by optional extra. im not sure but before the facelift ESP may still have been a feature.
After the facelift traction control was standard, and i believe ESP was on option, but im not 100% on this. id be surprised if it wasnt an option.

£18,000 for the pre facelift is insane, i know the previous owner of my cupra paid £15,000. Id still expect a few extras for that money!!

andycupra

status subject to change
£18,000 for the pre facelift is insane, i know the previous owner of my cupra paid £15,000. Id still expect a few extras for that money!!

i kidd you not, thats what it cost at that time, being in effect a sport with all the optional extras fitted. the £ was also stronger then!
Also at the time the seat brand was going through a big push by the VAG group and it hadnt quite found it place within the group, the original cupra took a more quality/luxurious approach i think and was stepping on audis toes with a product much the same with more options for less money. It was after this that the seat brand and the cupra was set to be the sporty brand within the VAG group and so it lost some of the luxurious bits and gained a nice body kit.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
I cant see that to be honest considering i bet theres 3 times as many cupra r's on the road than ibiza's.
because all the ibizas have been written off? hehe i joke.
what i mean is more ibizas are crashed as a ration of the number out there.

You might be right, there might be more LCRs than ibiza cupras, but that not how insurance works.

For example, lets say there are 3 times more LCRs than ICs on the road, and in a year twice as many LCRs are crashed as ICs. Using your logic the LCR is a higher risk, but this is incorrect.
In this case if you take one LCR there is a 1 in 10 chance it will be crashed. (3000/300)
For the Ibiza its a 1 in 6.666 chance it will be crashed. (1000/150)

Insurance companies calculate premiums on risk via some assumptions and alot of historical statistics. But the key is they are assessing risk on your ONE car being insured, so if they view your car singularly as in this example the LCR is a lower risk.

there are lots of other factors to take into account, such as security etc
and IMO i thnk ibizas get crashed more often than LCRs on a like for like basis.

Dec 31, 2012
I chose a LC over an LCR. Most of the LCR that I looked at were quite leggy on the mileage so I settled for a mint low mileage LC instead. Also I took into account the extra costs. eg the tyres, brake discs and pads, insurance, and that low splitter (which wouldn't last 2 minutes on my driveway and surrounding roads).

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
i have a mk2 fr atm, and after a good browse on ebay and auto trader i'm well up for selling kine and buying a lcr.

great looking. i just need to persuade the other half. can you get a pram in the back of a lcr?

Sep 17, 2011
i have a mk2 fr atm, and after a good browse on ebay and auto trader i'm well up for selling kine and buying a lcr.

great looking. i just need to persuade the other half. can you get a pram in the back of a lcr?

from someone whos made a switch from an fr to a LC, dont do it! not unless you have to anyway, the fr is superior in pretty much everyway.
you can get a mclaren pram in ok though

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
from someone whos made a switch from an fr to a LC, dont do it! not unless you have to anyway, the fr is superior in pretty much everyway.
you can get a mclaren pram in ok though

even the lcr? lcr on paper is faster, has better equipment with brembo's, suspension, cheaper and think it looks better.

just out of interest why did you swap and why did you regret it?

Sep 17, 2011
i had a stage 1 revo 260bhp or whatever it is and my mate has a lcr stage 2 (revo) and mine was quicker.
i got rid of it cos my mrs passed her test, got her a car and got a LC.
I do miss it and wish i still had it tbh, best car i ever owned.
looks wise i agree the mk1 does look as good if not maybe better.
mk2 is more comfortable, smoother power delivery, just generally better quality place to be imho tho of course

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members