Cupra vs FR

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Tbh I wouldn't say economy is a worry as such, however coming from an FR TDi the sight of the needle dropping quicker than usual will no doubt take some getting used to :)

I also won't be doing a lot of motorway miles, my work commute is approx. 7 miles each way. However although I don't do much motorway I wouldn't rule out the Cupra as I can still have fun on the twisties etc ...

Mate your commute is 14 miles a day? Get one bought and enjoy!

silles

May 4, 2017
good decision ... u wont be disappointed, are u going thorough some broker? carwow knocked 3.5k off of my brand new cupra

Last edited:

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
good decision ... u wont be disappointed, are u going thorough some broker? carwow knocked 3.5k off of my brand new cupra
Almost certainly a broker. Have already been doing some investigations :) I need to wait until later this year or possibly into early 2020 however I like to plan ahead! I did the timing belt in my current car just last year and want to get at least some monies worth out of that!!! However I've decided, Cupra it is :)

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Tbh I wouldn't say economy is a worry as such, however coming from an FR TDi the sight of the needle dropping quicker than usual will no doubt take some getting used to :)

I also won't be doing a lot of motorway miles, my work commute is approx. 7 miles each way. However although I don't do much motorway I wouldn't rule out the Cupra as I can still have fun on the twisties etc ...
My commute is similar. 5 miles through town then 2 miles on a motorway.
I generally average around 30mpg in my Cupra for that (in comfort mode using start stop (which saves so much fuel))
On a day where I drive in Cupra mode etc I'll average around 23-26mpg.

Which imo is not bad

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
Hi All

Okay I know the overall driving experience will be night and day however I'm contemplating a new or nearly new one of these:

Leon 5dr CUPRA 2.0 TSI 290 PS 7-speed DSG-auto
vs
Leon 5dr FR 2.0 TSi 190 DSG auto

Truth be told I want the Cupra, however here's what I'd like to know:

1. If driven carefully and on its standard tyres (low revs, gentle on throttle etc) is the Cupra as competent as the FR in the snow and ice, or is it a complete nightmare no matter how driven in these conditions?

2. I'm not sure what tyres the Cupra now ships with, however I've read on anything but dry tarmac it is very prone to wheelspin even in 2nd and 3rd? However I've also read this can be significantly resolved by changing the rubber. Is it rubbish in damp/wet on its shipped rubber and if yes what tyres are best to reduce this?

3. Is the Cupra quiet enough when cruising at motorway speeds?

4. Is there a release date for the mk4 yet? I ask this as there might be even better mk3 deals around in the weeks running up to this if buying new?

5. If you own the Cupra, do you wish you'd gone for the FR and if yes why? Same question if you own the FR.

Cheers :)

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
My commute is similar. 5 miles through town then 2 miles on a motorway.
I generally average around 30mpg in my Cupra for that (in comfort mode using start stop (which saves so much fuel))
On a day where I drive in Cupra mode etc I'll average around 23-26mpg.

Which imo is not bad

I had the same dilemma two years ago. My reasoning for choosing a Cupra was that four years with an FR would be 'brilliant but if only'. Don't regret picking the Cupra. Never get tired of how it looks and the ability to reach motorway speeds from standstill in less than 7 seconds.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I had the same dilemma two years ago. My reasoning for choosing a Cupra was that four years with an FR would be 'brilliant but if only'. Don't regret picking the Cupra. Never get tired of how it looks and the ability to reach motorway speeds from standstill in less than 7 seconds.
That's exactly the same reason I bought mine, same as my 335i previously.

One day you'd sit next to a Cupra and go "I wish I had that one"

Stoob

Apr 21, 2018
I have the FR 190, running the Bridgestones it came with, and in the recent snow the handling was so bad, I parked up, walked home, and had the day off work :)

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
My FR 150 dsg goes on Monday and I’ll be quite sorry to see it go, practical, comfortable, economical and surprisingly quickish. A set of winter wheels and tires on it and it was great through the winters and even in the snow.

Now looking forward to the Cupra, I hope I enjoy it as much as the FR.

Reactions: louiskopite

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
IRS is fitted to the more powerful FRs only so the 1.8 & 2.0 petrol versions and the 184 PS diesel have it but the 1.4 petrol and the 150 PS diesel don't.

You just ruined my day. I bought the 1.4 TSI FR because I use the car to commute 70 miles a day (one eye on economy):(

Either way if my budget and circumstances permitted I would have a Cupra all day

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Its the same size tank as the FR's.. it costs the same to fill my Cupra as it did to fill my 1.4 FR... Cupra's fuel just dissapears a little bit quicker haha.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I'm coming from a MK2 FR so assumed tank size might be different in the MK3, hence the question

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.