cutting a coil in springs

chris27

Jun 30, 2007
Dont do it. Very dangerous. Springs are progressively wound (ie compress differnet amounts depending on weight). Keeping it simple imagine that half the spring compresses under half a ton and the other half compressess under a ton. If you cut it in half you are loosing the first amount of compression, so with between half a ton and a ton of weight on it, the spring will do fu*k all.

If ive got that completley wrong someone feel free to correct it.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Also the ends of springs are wound flat; i.e. it forms a circular contact at each end with the strut. Cut springs will just leave the end of a coil in contact with the strut. Not a good idea!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
out of all the types of spring i have ever come across only one type (tangential) is cuttable in any form and doing so increases the spring rate anyway so needs some serious maths/measurements and understanding first

the top of ibiza springs are pigtailed but if i remember the bottom is tangential so theoretically it is possible but and i MEAN BUT considering the time/effort/calculations and lack of multiple pieces and test equipment to verify results you may as well buy some lowering springs :):) be a lot safer and simpler

the calculation is (11,250,000 times the wire diameter to the 4th power) divided by (8 times the active number of turns times the mean diameter cubed)

then on top you will need some shockers that operate correctly to match the new spring rate/length as your standard ones will just bottom out on the first corner pothole and put you in the wall :)

Last edited:

silverline1

christ, some folk take stuff for gospel

Polo suspenson wont fit, its not weighted properly

if you are going to do anything, do it properly or not at all

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Cuting springs is very old school. People use to do it alot when i was at school to ford orions and metro's that they brught for £150. The ride is truley shocking and is very dangerous.

May 31, 2008
Haha i remember my mate wanted to cut his springs on his saxo, i told him bad idea. Just get coilovers £200 from club polo, is nothing if you think about it.

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Another cheap way of lowering the car would be to fill it with much weight as you can.
Paving slabs normally fit well into the front foot wells, and you can fill the spare wheel well with concrete

Ollie

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members