DAB cuts out when closing the hatch (rear dash cam related)

Nov 14, 2021
I have a MK3 Leon SC (67) and I installed a rear dash cam which is hard wired to the interior fuse box so that the camera is on even when the ignition is off. This is very weird but when I lower the hatch at the back of the car to almost closed (leaving about a 2cm gap) DAB cuts out. If I raise the hatch again, DAB comes back after about 10 seconds. Even if I move the camera to different places in the car and also outside of the car I get the same results. When I connect the camera to a powered usb socket (via a USB socket in the cigarette lighter) DAB works all the time. So it's got to be something to do with the hard wired connection but I can't see how closing the hatch affects it.

I wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. Thanks for any help.

Nov 14, 2021
This has probably been covered in many forums - it sounds like you need to buy some ferrite cores to sort that out, and search around any motoring forums for more info.
I bought a pack of 10 ferrite cores and installed them all in varying numbers at various points along the hard wire cable and it has made no difference at all. I've also searched many sites (including this one) with no solution. I've only posted this query because I feel I have tried everything and it seems very strange that opening or closing the hatch cuts DAB while opening it again brings DAB back.

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
Weird mine crackles when indicators are on tried cores and everything else can't figure it out neither could main dealer... I know its no help just thought I'd drop this aswell... I'd love to here how it gets sorted..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I bought a pack of 10 ferrite cores and installed them all in varying numbers at various points along the hard wire cable and it has made no difference at all. I've also searched many sites (including this one) with no solution. I've only posted this query because I feel I have tried everything and it seems very strange that opening or closing the hatch cuts DAB while opening it again brings DAB back.
One question, does the camera remain working when the hatch is closed, slightly open and fully open? Maybe there is an issue with the grounding of the hatch, or lose of "good" grounding when not closed on the catch.

I'd think that the ferrite cores would only be effective at one or the other end of the supply leads to the camera, of course wrapping the wires around the cores - which is where/when the low energy noise should be getting slugged/quenched.