Damaged my car after less than a week

IrnBru

Last week I was picking my car up at a garage where some work was being done. Basically there had been a concrete bollard on the edge of the pavement which had been knocked over, leaving a small jagged concrete stump which I hadn't seen. As I pulled away I head a horrific grinding sound as I drove over it pulling off the pavement onto the road. :wtf:

It wasn't quite high enough to damage any of the body work or bumpers, but just high enough to catch on the large plastic guard which raps around the inside of the wheel arch, around the tire. As I drove away I've ripped this completely out, damaging it in the process.

Does anyone know what this part is actually called? I know there are a few VAG/seat parts places online, can anyone recommend anywhere in particular?

What it should look like...

Gallery3_01_02.jpg

Oh and to top it off I got a nail through one of my rear tires yesterday. Thankfully I managed to get it repaired. It was one of those weeks :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

flashbsd

you mean the arch liner? :)

Shouldnt cost too much from a dealer, or try to source a scrappy with a leon or something?

IrnBru

What side's the intercooler on? Would this really make much of a difference? Could I add this as a performance mod to my signature? :p

It's the front left passenger wheel arch liner I'm replacing.

IrnBru

Cool. Is it really worth the effort though? I could be tempted to do the work of the other side of the car.

Incidentally I've managed to source the part direct from Seat for £19.60 before tax. A lot less that I'd imagined I'd be looking at when I heard the sound of it tearing away from the underside of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
Does seem to help in the summer but the intercooler on a LC or TDIs is on the driver side.

All you need to do is cut some straight lines in the liner and then using a heat gun bend some vents into it. I used that method to save money on one car. On other I bought a Audi TT wheel arch vent and spliced them into my liner

andycupra

status subject to change
magic77 said:
Does seem to help in the summer but the intercooler on a LC or TDIs is on the driver side.

All you need to do is cut some straight lines in the liner and then using a heat gun bend some vents into it. I used that method to save money on one car. On other I bought a Audi TT wheel arch vent and spliced them into my liner

agreed. easy peasy when off the car.

just open it up more than required, as it will return to original shape a bit.

also make vents face downwards so it still provides protection from stones.
(well when going forwards at least)

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I did it in under an hour with it on the car. I did a guide once but can't find it now, have some more pics if anyone wants them.

Mine is a £2.99 B&Q boiler vent.

I do think it makes a difference in the summer. Why else would they be standard on the TT and S3?

Centrafugal forces from the wheel create a suction too, pulling air through it.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.