Damn handbrake!

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Parked last night on the drive, WITH the handbrake on as always, and find that it has some how rolled slowly into the garage door! Luckily no serious damage, just what looks like a stone chip on the front of my bumper, but still not pleased! Lucky it didnt go slightly more to the left and scrape the side against the wall!

I guess the best place to get a touch up pen or something to match the onvi is from a SEAT dealer?

Double check your handbrakes on properly! (which i normally do, sods law really :( )

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
I have had also problems with my handbrake coming off, rolled accross the car park in work, luckily no other cars in at the time.

$tealer checked it out and it is working fine :confused: I just make sure I pull it up at least 3 clicks and leave the car in gear ;)

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Mine done this as well, handbeak on, car was left over half hour, looked out and it was still fine, next thing i know there a guy at my door asking if i owned a yellow car, turns out 2 guys were holding it halfway down my street! :redface:

Aug 29, 2006
Poole
I think someone suggested a while ago that the handbrake has a tendancy to do this....Mine did in a car park a long while ago, luckily hitting no cars. I tend to leave it in gear when parking anywhere with an incline/decline

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Yeh leave it in gear to be on the safe side.
The handbrake cable tends to stretch abit after a period of time, so slightly tighen it.
Mines goes up 3 notces

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
You are correct, It happens on Octavia's too, My Dads octavia RS rolled into my Grans garage. This is due to contracting discs after driving, always leave in gr if on a gradient.

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Contracting disks, didnt think of that! That would make sense seen as it was on and stationary when i left it and seemingly still on when i went back to it.

Anyone had to do a touch up of stone chips on an onvi? Not had a chance to get to dealer yet, presume they'll have it in stock, or just take the paint code or something?

Mar 5, 2007
Man, that's scary! I can imagine the scene of 2 randoms holding my car up!

I think I might just put the brake on extra tight next time, so if it dose loosen it's still going to have enough to hold it.

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
I went into a shop just after new year, came out and my LCR had gone! I felt sick.

A glance to my right as I ran round the corner and there she was stuck to the front of a Vectra with a crowd of people around exchanging stories of the amazing moving car with no driver. Apparantly Vectra owner had been sitting in the drivers seat waiting and all of a sudden my car started to roll down the hill towards him at speed (handbrake fully on ofcourse). He had time to move but decided to stay there as it was a steep hill with pedestrians on and concluded at the bottom with four lanes of busy traffic and a large bridge!!!!

I could have kissed him but instead gave him £100 for his trouble (and to avoid further bruising to my NCB!!!!).

Surprisingly there was virtually no damage to either car, few minor scuffs and a wrinkle on my rear bumper where they touched.

Seat surprisingly found nothing wrong and I now leave it in gear and turn the wheel to into the curb when I park.

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
My mates car rolled back in to my fully kitted civic.. I was WELL pisseed off. Always leave you car in first gear. It also makes it harder to seal!!!!!

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
I have ever since!

I remember when I picked up my LCR from the dealer. best feeling in the world pulling onto the forecourt and seeing her there gleaming in the sun. I emptied a tank of petrol that day just driving around... Enjoy Saturday!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members