Damn handbrake!

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Ok, in gear from now on then! :D

I was just surprised because the drive is only a gentle slop really, and the handbrake was still on fully when i came to reverse it back up the drive.

Oh well, lesson learned :D

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
This has happened to me twice now..1st time i was parked on a slight slope, on a boat slipway, lucky i had the drivers window down, ran at the car dived through the window, as i had visions of it ending up in the drink, and yanked the handbreak on a s hard as it would go, and the 2nd time at work, thought the boys were playing silly buggers, came back to find the car 30m across the car park, still locked, and just sitting there, i alwyas put it in gear now, not having that happen again.

Mar 5, 2007
Where you guys booting it around prior to stopping? I always take it easy for a few minutes before stopping anyhow, but was just wondering if it's this expanding disc issue that's the cause. I would of also thought calm driving for a few minutes would let the discs cool enough for expansion to not be noticeable?

Alba77

Had this problem couple weeks after buying the car. parked outside parents house on a slight slope hand brake on. Came back out after cuppa to see it rolling down hill quickly gaining speed. gave chase, but by time finally caught up with it it had embeded itself into back of a trailer. Was gutted at time! Took it up with local deallers (no names, but folk in this area will know who I mean.lol), checked it and came back I had failed to apply handbrake correctly!! :censored:
Took matter up with seatuk who were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They had to go with dealler as deallers are the master- well got that impression anyway.. Short of it, refused to cover any repairs I had to have car repaired as was my fault for not applying handbrake correctly.[:@]
I now put car in gear and slam handbrake up till wont go any further (instructions of seatuk and dealler- surely this will put more pressure on cable?!, told no by both parties!) and turn wheels into curb.

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
I must have taken my car in for 15 things in the last 18 months ranging from flaking lacquer on the drivers side brembo to the R badges disintegrating and SEAT wouldn't accept responsibility for any of them! They now tell me that they would love to sort the problems but SEAT won't approve - it is comforting to know they are on my side!

Alba77

I must have taken my car in for 15 things in the last 18 months ranging from flaking lacquer on the drivers side brembo to the R badges disintegrating and SEAT wouldn't accept responsibility for any of them! They now tell me that they would love to sort the problems but SEAT won't approve - it is comforting to know they are on my side!

I had the FR badge on the side wings of the car replaced under warranty after the paint faded to almost white! They should replace them for you to.,

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I had the FR badge on the side wings of the car replaced under warranty after the paint faded to almost white! They should replace them for you to.,

This is the same problem with the cupra R badges. Some have gotten new ones and layered with clear varnish/laquer to stop this happening again.
I got mine changed from local stealer the first time, the second time decided to just remove these totally to find the ######## had removed them the first time with screwdrivers and well scratched the paint below.

Lesson learned, best DIY!! or totally remove.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I went into a shop just after new year, came out and my LCR had gone! I felt sick.

A glance to my right as I ran round the corner and there she was stuck to the front of a Vectra with a crowd of people around exchanging stories of the amazing moving car with no driver. Apparantly Vectra owner had been sitting in the drivers seat waiting and all of a sudden my car started to roll down the hill towards him at speed (handbrake fully on ofcourse). He had time to move but decided to stay there as it was a steep hill with pedestrians on and concluded at the bottom with four lanes of busy traffic and a large bridge!!!!

I could have kissed him but instead gave him £100 for his trouble (and to avoid further bruising to my NCB!!!!).

Surprisingly there was virtually no damage to either car, few minor scuffs and a wrinkle on my rear bumper where they touched.

Seat surprisingly found nothing wrong and I now leave it in gear and turn the wheel to into the curb when I park.
This happened to the wife in my car......
Drove to the shop, put handbrake on, went into the shop, someone came running in.......Who ownes a black car....
Wife went out to find that the car had rolled across a MAIN road and knocked down someones wall!!!
£170 for the wall and £500 for the bumper.... OOPS!!

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
i went to see CliveYPs today and after a good run around when looking at the car afterwards, i heard it creak!!! Quickly jumped in and put the hand brake up another notch!

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
It has made me paranoid! I can appreciate that stuff just happens but what annoys me is how the weasels at SEAT squirm thier way out of any responsibility. Are warranty figures that important to a dealer now that they are happier to sacrifice good will. This was the first time I had ever bought two cars from the same dealer and I am tempted to have a go at them because most of the issues I have raised people on the forum have had fixed by their dealer. Why are they so inconsistent across the network? Does a replacement R badge when the original is blatently disintegrating on the car really make that much of a difference to the bottom line!?!??!
It has got to the point where I accept it is futile to even try and get these obvious warranty issues sorted.

Rant over!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.