Damn!

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
I've got my car in at the bodyshop this week for panel re-sprays and alloy refurbing and I thought I may as well get the calipers refurbed at the same time.

However, upon taken one of the Brembo calipers off they found the bleed screw has damaged a thread. So now I need two new Brembo calipers costing - wait for it - £308 per caliper + VAT, which is £709!

I'm gobsmacked (and a bit pi$$sed off to say the least). Last thing I need at the moment, especially since all the bodywork I was getting done was already expensive enough! Argh. :(

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
im sure bill could do better than that... worth a call.

suprised you cant have them re threaded and use a bigger bleed screw?

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
The bodyshop is a VAG approved place and they said they wouldn't do that with calipers... sadly.

I did phone bill actually - but he said they were £320 per caliper + VAT.

Brembo's are bloody expensive if they go wrong - esp. as you have to replace brakes in pairs!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
The brembos were in reasonable condition otherwise - they have done 43000 miles and just need the brembo refurb guide applied to them...

Good point about selling - 2 x calipers (one with a damaged bleed thread), 2 x new brembo brake pads will appeal to someone for a fraction of £709!

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I think he was saying he can get the calipers for £500 the pair if you sold your calipers to him for a good price, but like willie said if i am not interested which as you know i am, but knowing willie he would still be able to help you out. ;)

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Ah I see - well I need them ASAP so went with the dealer price - gulp. Also looks like my old calipers are off the market as phillc nabbed them for a good price. Cheers mate.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Why did you have to pay for new callipers anyway?
Were they bust before the refurb?
Why were these removed during refurb if not?

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Why did you have to pay for new callipers anyway?
Were they bust before the refurb?
Why were these removed during refurb if not?
They were working perfectly before the refurb.

The bodyshop were removing them as part of the job and the n/s caliper apparently was found to have a damaged thread on removal. They originally inquired about doing a fix but SEAT said they wouldn't do that. (This bodyshop always check things through the relevant VAG dealer).

I bet it was the crappy SEAT dealer when they changed my discs, pads and brake fluid sometime last year.

I seem to suffer from bad jobs with threading issues - as when I first bought my car and went to put F1 tyres all-round one of wheel bolts was cross-threaded and required a hub strip-down to get it out...

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
You are probably right that they could have refurbed without issue by just masking it off. I guess they just felt they could do a better job with them off.

On the other hand though, this problem would have only been delayed to my next brake fluid change I suppose...

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
I'd be asking HOW thay got damadged
Thing is it's all about proof. It was probably during my service at SEAT a year ago but I can't prove that.

All I know is that since visiting Storm Developments for my remap I'll be going back to them for all servicing work from now on!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise