Dash cam interfering with radio?

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
I receive an early birthday present of a dash cam from my wife. Pretty chuffed with that. However, this morning I fitted it. It's the sort wit a rear camera on a cable, so some stuffing the lead under mats, under the rear seat etc. until it was neat (not opting for a permanent fit incase I decide to sell the car on and don't want to risk inviting creaks from things not quite going back on right again), I then set off for a drive to check it out. I noticed some of the radio stations would fade in and out, some were grand. Having said that, the weather was atrocious, really windy & wet and I've not been out in the car in those conditions before. I'm not too sure if it's interference from the dash cam or the weather screwing with things. Has anybody got any experience of either?

Thanks in advance. :)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Not sure what make you have, however when I contacted my friend mikey he said that if I had a DAB radio he'd need to make an alteration to the camera system to stop it interfering with the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Here was his message to me:

Cameras - best on market is the blackvue - I use the 650 - this is front & rear & it has wifi so you don't need to mess about taking the card out you can download the files via the app onto your phone. As mentioned earlier we have to make mods if the car has DAB. They have just added cloud features to them (but we won't mention that to our better halves) as you could let them view your cameras footage live as you drive !!!

Edit: he added

The mod for DAB is done to the camera wiring so no worries on the warranty

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I live in Newtownards so probably not far from you and after installing my dash cam the DAB signal is definitely weaker. I have just learned to live with it.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
As I'd suspected

Yep, it was too much to hope for that it was the weather. That was me grasping at straws really. There's a myriad of settings to piss about with on the camera, so I'll see if there's a least-worst one. I normally listen to the iPod anyway, so no great loss.

Cheers everyone for your help. :)

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Sorry I can't, and doubt he'd be willing to say as it's something he does when fitting them.

I can only assume it's some kind of shielding or removal of a wire not needed for the connection.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
A bit better today

It's a bit better today, assuming the weather had some effect, but it still is dropping out between tall buildings. So is life.