Dashboard Engine warning light is on and running rough from cold start

Tomoose_86

Hi,

I have a 52 plate Leon cupra 1.8 20v T and the amber engine warning light has come on. When its is started from stone cold it coughs and splutters into life, fine if I keep it revving at about 2,000rpm for about 30 seconds and once warmed up a bit idols fine. Also fine if I turn the engine off and back on once warmed up a bit.

I have taken it to seat main dealer (Nottingham) and they deleted the error code with diagnostics and said just see how it goes, the light came back on the next day!

I then took it to my local garage for ease and save cost as they didn't charge me. They put it on diagnostics again, deleted the error code and suggested to take off the pipercross induction kit I had on to see if that was upsetting a sensor somewhere. But came back on the next day again.

I don't think these will be related but I also have a problem with my temperature gauge because it doesn't warm upto 90 and stay there like it should. Ive had the water pump change so I'm guessing its a sensor of some sort somewhere.

My local garage gave me the error codes it was coming up with on the diagnostics which are:-

P1290 - Cooling system failure
P0171 - system too lean bank 1

I have a cat back stainless exhaust on it too in case this makes any difference.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for the next step to sort these problems out?
:help:
Thanks,
Tom

Gezz

Nov 12, 2006
Manchester
Had a smiliar problem last winter. The temp sender sensor is a common failure point but it was my Thermostat which was knackered.

My car wouldn't get to 90 on the temp gauge no matter how hard I drove it and the temp would fall back down quickly if I drove sedately.

You can check its this by feeling the pipes which come in and out of the radiator. (don't ask for any more detail, I'm pretty useless under a bonnet, its my dad who knows his stuff). when the car is cold they should both be cold I think, then one of them should get hot as the engine warms up, when the engine gets hot enough the thermostat realises and opens the gates allowing the cooled water from the radiator to go around the engine keeping it cool. So I think you'll have one hot pipe and one cool (only once the car is warmed up though).

When its knackered it just stays open all the time meaning the engine is constantly supplied with cold water and never gets warm, hence the temp gauge not getting to 90 and both pipes should just stay cold.

I also had really erratic idle at cold as the car needs more fuel (auto choke) but the thermostat is open so it hinks its hot, the ECU gets confused and the idle is all over the place.

Also if I stopped the engine and restarted it after a few miles, it would idle at around 2k for a bit before dropping off.

I did replace my temp sender 1st but it made no difference, think when it goes the temp gauge is all over the place, reading 90 one minute, then 60 etc etc.

It was less than £200 all in at a local independent garage I use but can't remember exactly how much.

Tomoose_86

Thanks for that :) seems like i have the same problem you had then.
I'll get a quote from my local garage for a new thermostat then.

Tomoose_86

Ive had a new thermostat fitted now and the temperature gauge is working fine, warms up to 90 and stays there :) Had all the error codes deleted at the same time and cost about £110.

All was well for about a week but the engine management light has come back on now :-( and sometimes has started doing its coughing and spluttering from cold starts, not as bad as before but still annoying. The temperature gauge is still all OK so at least that is sorted but still need to find the fault that is causing the engine management light to come on.

I would imagine it is still the P0171 - system too lean bank 1 error that has come up again.

Tomoose_86

Yea I've had the coils changed a while back. I'm trying a new MAF sensor next, read up about them and I seam to have the symptoms of when it goes cos I've got lumpy irregular idle as well and this can bring up the engine management light too it is gone. Managed to get a new one off eBay for £30 and easy to fit so not broken the bank if the new one doesn't fix it.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Try the CTS (coolant temp sensor) less than £10 of egay and simple to replace.
Been covered loads recently.

£110 for deleting codes and a new stat ouch!!!!

Wolvotim

Oct 3, 2009
Shifnal, Shropshire
im changing my temp sensor this weekend for a green top one as vagcom recons mine is knackered. im getting hesitation when pulling off from a standstill when cold

Tomoose_86

Yea I wasn't to happy with the £110 didn't think it was going to be that much but when I went to pick it up they decided they were charging me £25 just deleting the codes and didn't have a clue how to change to stat so had to get a garage to fit that.

Ill try a new temp sensor next then. I might need some help with instructions of how to fit it though but ill see how I get on when the part comes.

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Did you get this sorted?
What resolution to the P0171 code worked?

My friend with my old car is having problems with it and that code for past few months.
Temp sensor and thermostat also replaced. New maf that has been checked to be working and new coilpacks.

Would greatly appreciate your advice to get this sorted.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.