Decisions!

Brew3144

May 19, 2017
Just had a call off my dealer to say the same my car is ready and now at the garage. 10 weeks from order to delivery, they are happy to keep it till 1st September or i can pick it up now. I'm buying it so think ill wait till new plate.
1.8 tsi DSG ST FR urban silver.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I personally would wait. Nothing more gut wrenching than buying your first brand new car for it to look 6 months old a matter of weeks after picking it up. My wife did that with her old car but was slightly different as it was pre registered so she got a good deal on it eith the new reg coming out.

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Having the new reg on your drive on Sept 1 really pees off the neighbours. That warm feeling of total smugicity is easily worth a 5 week wait. :harhar:

Larry

Jul 17, 2017
I am buying the car, not leasing, so deffo decided to wait now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
Where is this world going to, when the reg is more important than car.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Larry

Jul 17, 2017
Where is this world going to, when the reg is more important than car.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Never been able to have a brand new car in 25 years of driving, now I have the opportunity to, I want to make the most of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
only an idiot would register a car 5 weeks before a new registration

I registered my old Cupra 280 middle of July 2014, I have just sold it and to be honest the car being on a 14 plate rather than a 64 plate made no difference to the value. Condition and mileage were the dealers main concerns.

Each to their own, but a little bit of plate snobbery isn't worth waiting for in my book. I would have the car ASAP :D

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I registered my old Cupra 280 middle of July 2014, I have just sold it and to be honest the car being on a 14 plate rather than a 64 plate made no difference to the value. Condition and mileage were the dealers main concerns.

Each to their own, but a little bit of plate snobbery isn't worth waiting for in my book. I would have the car ASAP :D

I did the same when I bought a new mk6 Golf GTD back in 2011; also registered in the middle of July. When I sold it, as you've said, condition, mileage and history were more important than the plate to the dealer.

I was also able to enjoy a new car during the summer months, rather than wait until the autumn.

ewen1605

Jan 17, 2016
Sheffield
Just had a call off my dealer to say the same my car is ready and now at the garage. 10 weeks from order to delivery, they are happy to keep it till 1st September or i can pick it up now. I'm buying it so think ill wait till new plate.
1.8 tsi DSG ST FR urban silver.

10 weeks!! I'm been quoted 20+ for my 1.8 TSI FR!

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Having thought more, I'd definitely take it now, only a few weeks on look at me in my new car plates. Always have a snigger at those driving round at 0905 on new ref day. I'd agree that the many other variables make more difference to trade in. Kerb a wheel and that's the difference gone in one pop.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Not been funny but it's ok spending other people's money. Reality is say in 3yrs time 17 plate vs 67 plate same condition both looked after similar mileage could equate to a difference of £500 in price due to the difference in plates.
So in theory taking the car 5 weeks early could cost £100 a week !! And regarding driving in the summer what summer Lol. I think we have a season all year round nowadays and usually Autumn is better weather.

TrainDriverEdd

Apr 12, 2016

It's nothing to do with plate snobbery. I'm not a snob and I'm not stupid.

If you believe the cr@p a dealer feeds you regarding valuations being the same in relation to a vehicle that has two different plates then it's you that needs an IQ test.

Mileage and condition are factors. Agreed. But can you imagine for one minute they'd sell one of their cars in similar condition and mileage for the same price if they were different registrations?

You sound like a car salesman's dream. :think:

SwinDan

Jan 23, 2017
Swindon
My new car sat at the dealers for almost a month so I could get it on the 17 plate as you said gives you loads of time to get those little jobs such as paint sealant and stuff done before taking delivery mine had skirts and rear spoiler added while I waited for the new plates to rollover:whistle:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not been funny but it's ok spending other people's money. Reality is say in 3yrs time 17 plate vs 67 plate same condition both looked after similar mileage could equate to a difference of £500 in price due to the difference in plates.
So in theory taking the car 5 weeks early could cost £100 a week !! And regarding driving in the summer what summer Lol. I think we have a season all year round nowadays and usually Autumn is better weather.

But looking at just the difference in value of a 17 plate vs 67 plate in 3 years time is only part of the picture. If you have an existing car car that's being traded in, you need to take into account the additional 5 weeks depreciation you'd suffer on the trade in by delaying taking delivery until September and offset that against any potential higher value of a 67 plate compared to a 17 plate.

I appreciate everyone's situation is different and what is right for one person won't necessarily be right for another. I keep my cars for 4.5 - 5 years, and when I took delivery of my new car in July 2011 it had taken 8 months from order to delivery, and I didn't want to wait another 6 weeks; I'd waited long enough! When I sold it at 4 years 8 months old, condition, mileage and service history on a car of it's age was far more significant than whether it was an 11 plate or a 61 plate.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.