Declaring powdercoated wheels to insurance company...

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
As you are all aware I now have black sparkly cupra R wheels that have replaced the same wheels in standard colour. Question is they are the same wheels but in black I don't need to declare this to the insurance company do I? After all they trace the car if it is stolen using the reg plate. My policy couldn't go up for having the same wheels in a different colour..?!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i'd call em just to see if there was any change

they seem to screw you for anything at the moment

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
At the end of the day, its a refurbishment, not a modification. The colour does not alter the way in which the wheel does its job. Simply enhances its appearance.

If they demand an increase, ask them to justify why having a factory wheel a different colour makes it a modification. If the call centre can't make a decision, ask to speak to a manager. Failing that have a word with the financial services ombudsman, who may be able to advise you if you have a legitimate complaint.

A wheel is a wheel at the end of the day, especially a factory standard wheel, that is simply coloured differently.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Ive always mentioned mine, the fella usually says "yeah makes no odds but i will note it down just so we have it on record”. Just for piece of mind as some insurance look at it as you have made the car "more appealing" therefore someone will notice it and will knick it as there scummy arseholes!

Deleted member 5985

but it may 'alter the desirability of the car' making it more likely to be stolen... i'd expect them to take that view, if they were to ask for an increase

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I would be seriously surprised if they wanted any extra to cover them, but they would definitely get upset if you didn't tell them about them.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.