delaminating windscreens leon mk2

mutley170fr

i've tried to find this topic on the leon mk2 forum but couldn't(theres plenty on the altea forum though!)so i'm sorry if this has already been discussed.i have a 56 plate fr tdi and its already on its THIRD windscreen due to the fact that they keep delaminating and at present i am driving a 58 plate leon mk2 tdi courtesy car on which the windscreen is already quite badly delaminating.i also took a look at a brand new one in my local dealerships showroom and that was just showing the first signs of delaminating! if your not sure what to look for it starts as a very thin white line at the bottom of the windscreen and slowly works its way up the screen and it is caused by water getting between the layers of glass.my dealership have never even questioned me about this,as soon as i've mentioned delamination it was booked in and done,which makes me wonder if this is a design fault?and if so what happens when the warranty runs out?!!shouldn't this be a recall item?

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Haven't noticed if its happening on mine but will look for it now.Think its ok though or I would have noticed.
When the warranty runs out there is no comeback though or I would have thought.

FR Scott

We had an auto glass guy down last weekend to fix a chip in our other cars windscreen...... he pointed out the de-laminating on mine (otherwise I probably wouldn’t have noticed). It’s like a faint white line along the bottom of the screen where condensation is getting between the glass and the laminate, he said this could cause cracking and I should get it looked at sooner rather than later and that it should be covered under warranty.

Took it to dealers, one quick look and they have me another screen on order. They did say it’s not something they had seen a lot of before though.

Booked in for its new screen on Tuesday.

Scott

mutley170fr

windscreen

i'd keep an i on your new screen aswell scott,as i said my cars only just over 2and a half years old and i'm on my third screen and the second one went really quickly!

FR Scott

I certainly will be mate, now I am aware of the problem. I am just wondering how long my current screen has been like that. Mine is June 07 so is nearly 2 years old, haven’t had it from new though so I don’t know if it has been replaced before.

If once the de-laminating process has started it makes the screen susceptible to cracking (therefore a safety issue really), and it is a common problem you would have thought Seat would have tried to address the issue and/or would have communicated out the problem so people are aware.

I wonder how many people have the same problem and it just goes unnoticed :think:

shaw25

Nov 1, 2008
north lanarkshire
I had my 06 fr at the dealers last week for my windscreen delaminting at the bottom but they took photos sent them to seat and seat said they would not replace the windscreen under warrenty[:@].Think i'll give seat a phone and see what they say about it.

FR Scott

I would definitely.....

I can’t see how then cannot replace the screen, it is not fit for purpose and is a safety issue (the professional opinion of a auto glass guy who deals with windscreens for a living).

Done let them fob you off mate, keep pushing while your car is under warranty.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Bugger, just had a look at mine and found this

Photo0374.jpg

Is it ok to leave for a while or does it need immediate action?

FR Scott

About the same as mine that.

The advice to me from the auto glass guy was to get it sorted sooner rather than later, but chances are it may have been like that for months so I can’t see a couple of weeks is going to make too much difference. Your guess is as good as mine mate.

Just don’t leave it and forget about it ;)

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Mine is like that as well, didn't think anything of it until this topic popped up.

mutley170fr

don't let them fob you off shaw25 just tell them that you are aware of lots of people having the same problem and that their dealerships have replaced them under warranty.i'd be tempted to try at another dealership first before you contact seat uk as they can be real arses about warranty work!

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
We had an auto glass guy down last weekend to fix a chip in our other cars windscreen...... he pointed out the de-laminating on mine (otherwise I probably wouldn’t have noticed). It’s like a faint white line along the bottom of the screen where condensation is getting between the glass and the laminate, he said this could cause cracking and I should get it looked at sooner rather than later and that it should be covered under warranty.

Took it to dealers, one quick look and they have me another screen on order. They did say it’s not something they had seen a lot of before though.

Booked in for its new screen on Tuesday.

Scott

I had this on an Octavia (04 plate) and got it replaced on warranty also. It was because the edge of the screen is kept damp by collected dirt.......so I was told. Not seen it on mine...yet.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I have a small area on mine where this is happening (about 12 inches across on the passenger side). Do you think this would be enough to warrant getting it replaced on warranty? I hope so because the screen has got a few very small (but noticeable all the same) stone chips in it and a new one would be a god-send, haha! :D

mutley170fr

as long as it is visible they can't say its not there,but then again this is seat we're talking about! but seriously if you can see it i'd get it done sooner rather than later.

FR Scott

Seat are going to be getting a flood load of Leon windscreen orders since this thread started lol.

It just shows how many people actually have the problem but have never noticed it!

SheffOwl

Seat are going to be getting a flood load of Leon windscreen orders since this thread started lol.

It just shows how many people actually have the problem but have never noticed it!

Just checked mine it has a two inch line starting to form on the drivers side. Is this a progressive thing or will it stay the same? :confused:

Car is due for a service next month, so will see about it then.

mutley170fr

sorry to say it is a progressive thing and will continue to get worse,speed varies though my first one went quite slowly but the second went in about 3-4 months.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
That is surely enough for a recall of all Leons, to get a windscreen replacement with one that has the issue sorted?.
There is already a fair few people in this thread with the issue. Think of the others not even on SCN or noticed etc..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.