Deshcam fitting - can it be wired into interior light?

Aug 23, 2023
You may be able to help...

I'm trying to fit a Gamin mini 2 dashcam to my Leon Mk3.

I've seen the very helpful links that uses a spur from the fusebox behing the glove box to set up the power. However, I was wondering if anyone had sourced the power from the overhead lighting unit instead, the cabling would seem a lot easier, and if so, are there any points worth noting.

Reactions: sandancer

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
You may be able to help...

I'm trying to fit a Gamin mini 2 dashcam to my Leon Mk3.

I've seen the very helpful links that uses a spur from the fusebox behing the glove box to set up the power. However, I was wondering if anyone had sourced the power from the overhead lighting unit instead, the cabling would seem a lot easier, and if so, are there any points worth noting.
Yes go from the Fuse box and find a supply just when the IGN is on and not a permanent supply

Reactions: Atticus and SuperV8

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I've used one each of THESE power supplies for front and rear cameras, wired into the fusebox to an ignition live, and run high speed USB data/charging leads up the passenger side pillar (on a Mk 3.5 where the fuse box is behind the glovebox), across the top of the screen behind the headlining, to the camera. Earlier mk 3 have the fuse box drivers side and the cable goes up the drivers side pillar.
Rear camera is powered by a similar cable running through the headlining to the rear , down the appropriate windscreen pillar as above.

Make sure you use decent quality USB cables which support both data transfer AND charging- I found that cheaper cables are pretty flaky and won't charge the cameras properly, especially the rear camera which has a longer cable between camera and power source

Don't be tempted to use one dual output power supply to power more than one camera - I found the power of one with even a decent wattage output wasn't enough to power and charge two cameras, and noticed that very often either the front camera worked, but not the back, or the other way round. Since using separate 15 watt supplies as in my link, I have never had any further issues at all, on either car

Last edited:
Reactions: Atticus
Aug 23, 2023
Thanks for all the tips...I've taken your advice and wired the dash cam into the fuse box.

However, rather than adding a new 12 volt to 5 volt usb converter I fitted a cigarette socket. This allowed me to use the supplied (Garmins) plug in adaptor and cable.

Happy days.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise