detailing gone very very wet

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Dan popped over today, bringing his three year old LCR for a de-swirl and renovation. he has owned the car for a while, and has suspicions it had a hard life with its previous owner.....

We started out with the usual array of arrival pictures.....

eda912ea.jpg

eda91321.jpg

eda913da.jpg

eda913db.jpg

We started out by rinsing off the car with the Karcher, Dan paid particualr attention to the arches and alloys. I then sprayed Poorboys APC in the arches and on the alloys, then demonstrated the two bucket method of washing to Dan. With the paint washed, I then cleaned the alloys, leaving Dan to rinse the car down.

Next using DP clay, and the foam gun attachment, we clayed the car top to bottom. This was followed by a further quick wash and rinse before drying with a waffle weave towel.

I then sprayed some Poorboys bold n brite into the arches and left to dry.

Dan moved the car into the garage where we then taped and covered ready for de-swirling.

eda911ff.jpg

eda911d2.jpg

eda91185.jpg

Next we toured round, noting the paint thicknesses, finding the bonnet has seen a 'blow over' at some stage in its life....
eda9112e.jpg

Next we inspected the lovely swirls
eda91155.jpg

Following various tests, I settled for a four inch medium cut pad and Megs DACP on the bonnet. This was then followed up with Pinnacle Swirl Remover on a four inch light cut, then Megs #80 speed glaze on a polishing pad :eek: The bonnet taking a little over two hours to complete.

I then used a 6 inch cut pad with DACP to de-swirl the rest of the car, Dan following round wiping the residue off.

Next stage Dan used a polishing pad, and a combo mixture made by my own fair self ;) with me in tow wiping the residue off.

With the LCR de-swirled and looking vastly improved, Dan applied a layer of XMT Finishing Glaze using a finishing pad, me in tow wiping clear. :D

Next up, and going in blind (first time use) I applied a layer of CG Wet Wet Wet Wax to the whole car.

As this just hazed over, I spritzed each panel with Pinnacle Crystal Mist and spit shined a second layer of CG WWW wax in. Dan followed round a couple of panles behind wiping the hazed wax clean. I then followed round again wiping each panel with the Crystal Mist to create the wetest Red Paint I have seen! :doublesho We de-taped and uncovered the car, Dan reversed it out, and we used Megs DC1 followed by Megs #20 Sealant on the alloys. Tyres treated with Poorboys Bold n Brite.

the results just speak for themselves I think.

eda910bd.jpg

eda910b7.jpg

eda9100d.jpg

eda90fc7.jpg

eda90f5a.jpg

eda90efb.jpg

eda910c5.jpg

eda9109b.jpg

eda90fe0.jpg

eda90fbd.jpg

eda90f2e.jpg

thanks to Dan for coming over, and eating me out of house and home too :D :D

Thanks for reading

Iain

gazjones

fantastic wet look on that ian was it the flash red or emocien red? another top job mate keep it up

gazjones

it looks that wet that it looks like flash red in the pics. up to 2003 they used flash red then replaced it with emocion red

gazjones

looks like ill have to be around to see that next week how long did it take in all to do the detail on this? was the cg wet wet wet a wax that was applied as normal then another layer of wet wet wet mixed with spray to do a spit shine?

helms

Console Race Car Driver
Jan 30, 2005
Basingstoke
when the new wagon arrives i will defo be booking it in with you, bit of a drive granted, but i havent seen any1 down this end that gets those kinda results.
And it would be worth it in the long run I believe.
Very impressed mate, keep up the brilliant work.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Top work as ever Ian, and certainly a match for Clark's LCR[B)]

My old girl got a couple of coats of XXX and a coat of WWW today, I just love the finish WWW produces, would love to see that one in the flesh.

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
gazjones said:
looks like ill have to be around to see that next week how long did it take in all to do the detail on this? was the cg wet wet wet a wax that was applied as normal then another layer of wet wet wet mixed with spray to do a spit shine?

Dan arrived at 9am, started at 9.30am, he left at 5.10pm......

applied www to the whole car, then very lightly spritz each panel with the crystal mist (onto the hazed first layer), then work the second until dry and allow to haze, then wipe clear, then went round again with the mist on each panel....

spit shining is both expensive and laboursome... but well worth it!:clap:

Last edited: