Difference between 280 and 290

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
I've just got hold of a 66 plate Cupra. The dealer has sold it to me as a 280, the badge at the rear of the car says 290 which on it's own means nothing (IIRC with VW's previously dealers sometimes misbadged the mk4 GTD varients incorrectly). The log book says 280 also, though I have known them to be wrong as it was with the 184 FR I just traded in it had 'ST' on it when it was a 5 door hatch, unless both are massive ringers which I doubt.

Every insurance company or site I got a quote for said 290, as did my insurance company (Brentacre) and some free text check services I used.

Finance agreement, MOT just quote engines size or 2.0 TSI.

I'm not actually that bothered, got a really good price on my part ex so I'm just wondering. I know on a 66 plate it could be either and it has the newer sat nav etc and that it's mainly down to the exhaust, but does anyone know exactly what it is so I can pin point exactly and know for sure?

ray

Jan 7, 2016
If it’s standard and it sounds nice on the overrun (in cupra mode) then it’s a 290.

I have the 280 (64 plate) and standard it was absolutely silent, but I would expect the insurance companies to be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: perryqhill

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Yeah it's standard (to my knowledge anyway). Just getting to know it after getting it yesterday morning so I'll have a listen and a play around with it over the weekend.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah it's standard (to my knowledge anyway). Just getting to know it after getting it yesterday morning so I'll have a listen and a play around with it over the weekend.
Easiest way to tell assuming its not been modified. Is look underneath and check the exhaust system:

280:
Engine/Cat =====Resonator=====Small Silencer=====Large Silencer

290:
Engine/Cat =====Resonator=====================Large Silencer

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
How close to the engine is the cat?

What I can see is the engine and turbo then there's something beneath that on the downpipe, looks like a flexi pipe of some kind? I can't clearly make it out. Underneath the car there's a straight pipe which runs from the subframe around the middle of the car to a long box and then the big box at the back of the car.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
How close to the engine is the cat?

What I can see is the engine and turbo then there's something beneath that on the downpipe, looks like a flexi pipe of some kind? I can't clearly make it out. Underneath the car there's a straight pipe which runs from the subframe around the middle of the car to a long box and then the big box at the back of the car.

The Cat is shortly after the turbo so you won't see it from under the car unless its on a lift.

The long thin box is the resonator. The large rear box is the silencer. So you have a 290 :)

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster

Right after probably not making much sense before, mine doesn't have the box the one in the video has just before the rear wheel, everything else looks the same.

3D_Rob

Dec 20, 2019
Hampshire
Turn the ignition on and hold the 0.0/Set button for a full 10+ secs. It will display a few things (keep holding it) and eventually should show the engine code.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
...or the build code sticker on the boot floor.
It should be said that the exhaust section layout for an ST 280 is different (and noisier)

Dec 8, 2021
So I'm not the only one who has the same query, on my logbook v5c I just received it shows 280 but on the back of the motor it shows 290, its on a 16 plate. The nav or display where you can go through the car settings is same as the 280 it has buttons on both sides but I have noticed the exhaust is louder and you can hear the dsg pops/farts. But on all the hpi online checks you can do as there are so many it comes back as a 280. I am confused but will be taking it to VRS on 14th Dec for an oil change and an inspection so will ask the boys there. But a bit strange that the logbook is showing up as a 280. If it is indeed a 290 of which i think it is can I send the logbook back and have the it changed to show 290? Anyway other way of finding out if it's definitely a 290 as I have seen many 290's without the front lower fog lights like mine and some with the small fog lights up front. TIA

Dec 8, 2021
Looks like I have a 290 as in the first page of the service manual it shows CJXH, I know there is also a sticker on the engine towards the left side not far from the dipstick also so I'll double check that also.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.