Differences between models?!

wildejon

Hi,

I'm after a Seat Leon Tdi but there seem to be so many iterations, can anyone help me understand what is what. I'm after the PD130 or PD150 engine if that helps.

I've seen SE's and Sports both with the same engine I think?!

Also the FR's and Cupras, again, same engine?

What are the S's, are they the same as a Sport?!

Any guidance would be very handy!

Many thanks

Jon

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
In the case of the Toledo, SE gets you folding mirrors and electric rear windows over the S

I would imagine the FRs and Cupras add sporty seats on top ... +bigger brakes ?? (no 312mm on a TDi though I don't think)

Don't actually know the difference between the Cupra & FR - always suspected it was just to give the FR a new trendy name prior to launching the latest shape models

Last edited:

wildejon

Ok, cheers.

Am I right thinking that the S has the PD100 engine, the SE the 130 and the FR and Cupra the 150?
Folding mirrors would be handy, I can only just fit my 205 in my garage as it is!

wildejon

Cheers, anyone know about engine sizes? I've had a look around the forum but can't find the info anywhere!

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Erm... Cupra TDI and FR TDI are 1.9tdi's,
Cupra and Cupra R are 1.8T,
S and SE I've only come across in 1.6 petrols but I'm sure they come in a wider variety of engines.

That's the extend of my "knowledge"!:hide: I'm sure someone else'll come along with more info.

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
All the TDi are 1.9ltr - specs are:

S - 90bhp TDi
SE - 110bhp TDi up until late 2003
SX - 110bhp TDi
SE - 130bhp PD from late 2003
FR / Cupra - 150bhp PD (2004 on?)

I think the late 2003 is about right for the change on the SE/SX (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The SX is the same as the SE minus the sports seats & sports suspension.

I don't think there was a 'Sport' model for the TDi - wasn't this the early (2000MY) 1.8T?

Mark

wildejon

Yay! Thank you

There was a wanted ad for a TDi Sport I think, thats what made me ask. I guess the guy meant 'S'.

Thats really helpful, thanks everyone.

Jon

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
theres a FR that has a petrol engine, same saize as the cupra petrol engine...both running at 180bhp...ther is a fr tdi, which is a 1.9 running at 150bhp (i think)

the difference between the cupra and the fr is the FR is a newer spec to the Cupre..ie, dosent have the 6 cd changer, it just has the single slot..also the wheels are differnt and a few other changes which i cant remember at this moment..

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
if it is a TDi S then it will only have standard aircon instead of climate control - this is a quick way of checking what model it is. Climate has digital display below the radio, aircon has three knobs.

Mark

wildejon

Thats handy, cheers.

Pretty much decided on an SE now, will be cheaper to run, plus I'm gonna need a new insurance policy as I'm keeping my other car running (for some fun weekend use :) )

Cheers

Jon

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
the insurance groups on the 110 and 130 SE models are different - 110 is group 7 and the 130 is group 10.

Also from the outside the 110 and 130 SE look almost identical - look for a 130 badge by the TDi one or both the Di letters in red rather than silver. The top cover on the 130 engine will have a Di in red. The 110 only has a red i (TD in silver).

Take a good look around before buying - I'm in West London and went to Nottingham to get my 110SE (it was less than 5 months old when I got it) and saved around £1500 on what a local dealer wanted plus it was a newer, lower mileage car.

Mark

wildejon

Its crazy, all the little changes they make.

Just checked my insurance, managed to get a classic insurance for my 205 (£108!!!) so I'll have plenty of NCB for the Leon, I'm sure it'll be well cheap!

Cheers :)

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
Also from the outside the 110 and 130 SE look almost identical - look for a 130 badge by the TDi one or both the Di letters in red rather than silver. The top cover on the 130 engine will have a Di in red. The 110 only has a red i (TD in silver).

Mark

The updated SE models also had 16" 5 spoke alloys, whereas the SX has 15s.

NotApplicable

Seat in the UK also did a "special" at the end of 2005 into early 2006. It was a 150bhp diesel FR with a Cupra lookalike bodykit. Looks cool.. I've got one!

It has climate, single CD (Aura) head, and I don't know what else that's different inside. On the outside, it has different alloys and a really low front splitter which I ground on a few bumps now and then.

wildejon

I've found what looks to be a completely mint 130 SE in silver. 28k on the clocks for £9k. Does that sound reasonable?
Its got a sports interior, whatever that means, has white dials...?

Cheers for all the info :)

Jon

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
I've found what looks to be a completely mint 130 SE in silver. 28k on the clocks for £9k. Does that sound reasonable?

Jon

Yeah that sounds like a good deal. I think the interior is the same as the late edition FRs, and maybe even the Cupras, but either way I like it!! Sports seats, silver centre console and a leather wrapped steering wheel & gear lever are the main differences between the SE and lesser models... and the diesel ones got white dials (my car's are black).

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site

Jon

what year / plate is it?

There is a Sept 2003/53 on the Seat website with 27K on it for £9495.

Last edited:

wildejon

Cheers for the replies, handy forum this is turning out to be! :)

It is an '04. Mind you, SEAT might give a longer warranty, this only has 3 months. If I did buy the £9k one, could I still obtain a SEAT warranty? Not sure how these things work, never been privileged enough to be able to buy a car this new before! :)

Trouble is, its in Manchester, I'm in Brighton... They've offered to deliver if I pay for the guy's train fare home :)
Would also have its 30k service done and new MOT...

Thanks all!

Jon

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.