differences between the diesel engines? 90, 110, 130, 150 etc

miller 666

Dec 4, 2009
Derbyshire
Just a quick question and sorry if its been asked before, does anyone know the differences between the different output engines like the 90bhp versions and the others such a 110bhp, 130bhp etc?? Is it just the turbo and map or is it the internals? If so specifically can you tell me what?
Many thanks

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
No doubt it's been asked many times, but briefly...

90 & 110 bhp 1.9ltr engines have a completely different injection system. Anything to do with these engines is relevant to each other but not so much with the others.

The other batch of 1.9ltr 100, 115, 130, 150, and 160 engines use a common base engine with differing turbos, injectors, intakes, intercoolers, and other stuff.

miller 666

Dec 4, 2009
Derbyshire
sorry i did have a search but there was quite a wide base of answers. So in theory if i got the mk leon tdi sport with 140bhp, used the intake and injectors etc from the 170 and then hybrid turbo, remap etc it could make a good reliable 200bhp?
Cheers

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Nope, the 140 engine is a 2.0ltr twin cam 16 valve , not the old 1.9ltr single cam 8 valve. It also has the intake at the front of the engine rather than at the back on the 1.9.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
sorry i did have a search but there was quite a wide base of answers. So in theory if i got the mk leon tdi sport with 140bhp, used the intake and injectors etc from the 170 and then hybrid turbo, remap etc it could make a good reliable 200bhp?
Cheers

A remap alone would see 185bhp+ i wouldnt even bother with different injectors until you decide if your fitting a hybrid turbo. The injection intake system on the other hand is near enough the same on both the 140 and 170 (large fmic, large pipe work etc) but it has a different turbo (which doesnt bolt straight onto the 140).

miller 666

Dec 4, 2009
Derbyshire
well im looking to go hybrid around april time and want to do it all in one go, so have all the parts like the turbo, exhaust, injectors etc and fit it all in one go. What are the main things im going to need? Plus a large front mount intercooler was on my list but i read on here not long ago the standard ones are good for about 300bhp?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
what engine do you have in your car then mate? If you have the side mounted intercooler they're pants but if you have the 150 tdi or a leon mk2 they already have a front mounted one.

miller 666

Dec 4, 2009
Derbyshire
Well i havn't actually got the car yet, expecting to have it mid march time. I want to do the hybrid around end of april time. The car im getting will be the mk2 leon tdi 140bhp 16v sport. Its going to have the BTCC kit on it as well so going to go for the twin pipes at the back. So far here is my list:
Miltek non resonated exhaust, turbo back
Hybrid turbo converted
New intake manifold
New larger air intake, possibly green panel/pipercross?
New injectors, not sure which ones yet, advice?
New brakes, will 4 pots be up to it or am i better with the 6 pots?
New clutch, heard some good things about the spec one?
Remap after all done
Larger front mount intercooler, large pipework
Dump valve, don't want a loud wooshy one though but a small noise would be nice
Lastly would a new set of cam's see a gain or not particularly? Do they even make performance diesel ones?

Thats what i have off the top of my head. Any advice on what to get or not get?

Cheers

Last edited:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Well i havn't actually got the car yet, expecting to have it mid march time. I want to do the hybrid around end of april time. The car im getting will be the mk2 leon tdi 140bhp 16v sport. Its going to have the BTCC kit on it as well so going to go for the twin pipes at the back. So far here is my list:
Miltek non resonated exhaust, turbo back - Good.
Hybrid turbo converted - Good.
New intake manifold - Not sure..
New larger air intake, possibly green panel/pipercross? - Not sure..
New injectors, not sure which ones yet, advice? - Not sure..
New brakes, will 4 pots be up to it or am i better with the 6 pots? - Not sure..
New clutch, heard some good things about the spec one? - Good.
Remap after all done - Good.
Larger front mount intercooler, large pipework - Not sure..
Dump valve, don't want a loud wooshy one though but a small noise would be nice - Daft.
Lastly would a new set of cam's see a gain or not particularly? Do they even make performance diesel ones? - Not needed. Diesel burn is comparatively slow compared to petrol so high lift cams & suchlike will not give any benefit. The engine revs are decided by how fast the diesel burns, and revs higher than this figure will result in unburnt fuel being dumped out of the exhaust.

Thats what i have off the top of my head. Any advice on what to get or not get?

Cheers
My thoughts.

miller 666

Dec 4, 2009
Derbyshire
Well after doing some reading around of the DPF delete im more tempted to do that for now, as some people are getting 230bhp with just the dpf delete, map and exhaust. Things like the brakes and handling will still be done but the power far outweighs the cost of a hybrid at the minute. Any other opinions?
Cheers

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Well i havn't actually got the car yet, expecting to have it mid march time. I want to do the hybrid around end of april time. The car im getting will be the mk2 leon tdi 140bhp 16v sport. Its going to have the BTCC kit on it as well so going to go for the twin pipes at the back. So far here is my list: <snip>

Well after doing some reading around of the DPF delete im more tempted to do that for now, as some people are getting 230bhp with just the dpf delete, map and exhaust. Things like the brakes and handling will still be done but the power far outweighs the cost of a hybrid at the minute. Any other opinions?
Cheers

The 140 engine currently in the Leon doesn't have a DPF (as standard). The only one with the DPF is the 170 engine, and in the older models was a pd engine while in the current models it's the new common rail engine.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
as viking has stated above - the 140 tdi didnt have a dpf (there was an option to have one with the BMM engine which had the dpf but these are extremely rare) so thats that out of the picture.

The exhaust should also be a de-cat to yield the best results.
I wouldnt bother trying to source a new intake manifold as the one fitted is about as big as you'd need it.
Fitting an aftermarket induction kit will help, either a panel filter or full induction kit like a BMC carbon airbox system.
With regards to the injectors - unless you plan to run 250bhp+ i dont think you'd need them (i'm happy to be corrected but i'm pretty sure the satndard ones are good for the power you want) and you'd only get new larger nozzels and i belive they are around 800euros.
With regards to your brakes - uprated pads, discs and dot 5.1 fluid would be sufficient unless you could source some cupra or r32 brakes which will be more than enough for the power you plan to run. 4 or 6 pots unless you transplanting a V8 would be pointless.
A new uprated clutch from the likes of spec or LUK is a must for high power diesels.
A decent custom remap by the likes of jabba, rstuning, p-torque etc will significantly improve power.
The standard intercooler will be more than enough to cope with the power and i belive they are good for 300bhp so it'd be pointless to upgrade that, as for the pipework - silicone pipes with some alloy just to strengthen things would suffice.
Dump valve/BOV poinless and is nothing but cosmetic on a diesel.
Vikings already covered cams.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members