Digital speed display

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hi sixpot, short answer is you cannot !

Seat told me this was due to the fact that it's law (in the UK) to have both mph and km/h shown on the speedometer. The mk5 does not have km/h on the speedo dial so they have to by law put it somewhere. Thats why it is in digital format.

I'm sure there must be a way of changing it because i presume the European cars have the speedo in km/h and the digital readout in mph, the opposite to us with UK cars !

Seat said there was no way of changing it, but i beg to differ. Just not sure how to do it.

The local Seat dealer even put it on the OBD to see if there were any settings they could "tick", or "de-tick" but there weren't any.

But if you do find out how to do it then i'd be very inerested !

Best Regards,
Andy

sixpot

53 Leon Cupra R
Apr 12, 2004
Warrington/Cheshire
Cheers for the reply, what a stupid idea! luckily its not my car its my Mums, if it were mine that would irritate me. Whilst on the subject of silly things the 'cornering foglamps' also spring to mind as being a waste of time!:shrug:

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Yep, pretty much agree with you actually !. Although in my case it is handy for putting the car in the garage cos it does light up the left hand side of the garage wall where we have bikes n'that, so i would say in 99% of the time they are useless, but on the odd occasion they have their use!. It's standard on the 1.4 and 1.6 anyway so it's not as if we can save a few quid by not choosing the cornering feature !

Yep, the speedo is REALLY annoying !, why the heck we need km/h in the UK beats me !. Luckily my ScanGauge is right next to the speedo so i have a digital readout of mph anyway, but it would be nice to get the km/h digital speedo to read in mph otherwise it may as well not even be there !

Andy

beport

Hi sixpot, short answer is you cannot !

Seat told me this was due to the fact that it's law (in the UK) to have both mph and km/h shown on the speedometer. The mk5 does not have km/h on the speedo dial so they have to by law put it somewhere. Thats why it is in digital format.

I'm sure there must be a way of changing it because i presume the European cars have the speedo in km/h and the digital readout in mph, the opposite to us with UK cars !

Seat said there was no way of changing it, but i beg to differ. Just not sure how to do it.

The local Seat dealer even put it on the OBD to see if there were any settings they could "tick", or "de-tick" but there weren't any.

But if you do find out how to do it then i'd be very inerested !

Best Regards,
Andy

Hopefully with the Mk 5 Ibiza Cupra you should be able to select which units and language you want your data to be dispalayed on the dash with the steering wheel controls :idea:

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hi beport, i don't think you will be able to . The UK law applies to all cars including FR's and Cupras, not just the 1.6, 1.4 and 1.2 So i doubt you'll ever be able to select the units yourself without some way of getting a program to re-write the code thro the OBD port!. But like i've said all along, there must be a way of doing it because European cars will have it.

Regards,
Andy

beport

Hi beport, i don't think you will be able to . The UK law applies to all cars including FR's and Cupras, not just the 1.6, 1.4 and 1.2 So i doubt you'll ever be able to select the units yourself without some way of getting a program to re-write the code thro the OBD port!. But like i've said all along, there must be a way of doing it because European cars will have it.

Regards,
Andy

Don't know :confused: Just look out for the speed cameras then :lol:

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
What do u mean by spec ?, it's the 1.6 Petrol MK5 Ibiza Sport.

If u mean bits added over the basic 1.6 Sport then that's 17 Alloys, Digital Climate Ctrl, BT Radio, Metallic Paint, other than that it's a standard 1.6 Sport.

Andy

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Noticed this on my Mum's Mk5 as well. The Wife's Smart also has the Km/h in the digital display.

Never thought about it much but as say, there are no Km/h markings on the speedo so you need the euro speed somewhere.

beport

What do u mean by spec ?, it's the 1.6 Petrol MK5 Ibiza Sport.

If u mean bits added over the basic 1.6 Sport then that's 17 Alloys, Digital Climate Ctrl, BT Radio, Metallic Paint, other than that it's a standard 1.6 Sport.

Andy

Sounds good! How does the ScanGauge work?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
we will end up kmh in the end anyway the way this country is going :)

doesn't look too much grief where it is really though, seen some worse on other cars

some smart harris will figure out a conversion in the end but bear in mind it won't be easy as most euro cars don't have to show mph just us awkward sods have to have both

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hmm you've got a point there Flopper!, so if the foreign cars don't have the digital mph readout, it might be harder to do than i had thought!. Ah nevermind !

Regards,
Andy

beport

Hmm you've got a point there Flopper!, so if the foreign cars don't have the digital mph readout, it might be harder to do than i had thought!. Ah nevermind !

Regards,
Andy

You can change the language settings and display mph in the electronic dash setup.

I got fed up wondering how fast 180 kph was on ;)the Autobahn

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise